Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   A New Old Guy Here (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/189745-new-old-guy-here.html)

oldfella 02-04-2010 02:57 PM

A New Old Guy Here

... I mean new, like in green; Switching from PC to Mac, and will need all the help I can get from you young experts here... my new 24" iMac is on its way, should arrive Feb 8... a young friend volunteered to make a house call to help me with the transfer from my PC to my Mac. Any advance warnings and advice are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

MYmacROX 02-04-2010 03:10 PM

Welcome to the forums and to the world of Macs.
There are a couple of things I can think of that will help make the switch a little smoother. Both are from Apple's website.

My Mac Cheat Sheet
AND Apple - Support - Mac 101

mtbinva 02-04-2010 03:15 PM

Old dude here as well.... :)

This site may be of use to use as well. I just switched this past December. You will quickly find you have less headaches, and quality of life will be better!

MacMundi

Good luck and have fun!

pigoo3 02-04-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfella (Post 993789)
... I mean new, like in green; Switching from PC to Mac, and will need all the help I can get from you young experts here... my new 24" iMac is on its way, should arrive Feb 8... a young friend volunteered to make a house call to help me with the transfer from my PC to my Mac. Any advance warnings and advice are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

I'm not sure what sort of experience you have had with the Mac OS...but one mistake to avoid is...don't expect everything with the Mac OS to be the same as on the Windows OS.

Don't think..."I used to do it this way in Windows...why can't I do it the same way on a Mac!!!" Some things will be similar, some things will be "sort of" similar, and some things won't. Just go into it with an open mind.

Congrats on your new iMac computer purchase,

- Nick

hughvane 02-04-2010 03:39 PM

A warm welcome from another "Old Fella". There are a few of us here, although some won't admit to it! :Evil:

That MacMundi site is a beauty, and I shall be referring some of the young bloods with 'basics' questions to it. Why, I might even learn a few more things from it myself. :Mischievous:

Collin Bl 02-04-2010 03:43 PM

And then this may be worth a look - welcome.

oldfella 02-04-2010 06:08 PM

Thanks for your replies, folks... I think I may have started this thread in the wrong place. I think I'll need help on navigating this board, as I am not getting email notices on your replies. Where do I go, what button do I need to push to get email notices of new posts? Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

TattooedMac 02-04-2010 06:19 PM

Go to top of the page and look for 'Thread Tools' in between LINKBACK and SEARCH THIS THREAD.
Click on it then down to "subscribe to this Thread"

Welcome aboard oldfella ........

oldfella 02-04-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedMac (Post 993945)
Go to top of the page and look for 'Thread Tools' in between LINKBACK and SEARCH THIS THREAD.
Click on it then down to "subscribe to this Thread"

Welcome aboard oldfella ........

Thanks much.

Pete

Collin Bl 02-04-2010 08:45 PM

For your transfer this Cable may be of interest.

oldfella 02-04-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collin Bl (Post 994023)
For your transfer this Cable may be of interest.

Thanks, Collin - Good info.

Pete

TattooedMac 02-04-2010 10:48 PM

MacTricksandTips ~ Top 100 essential Mac Applications

Collin Bl 02-04-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedMac (Post 994076)

Good list but my 2 Favourites and the 2 i use most are missing - 1Password and LaunchBar. Couldn't live without them now.

toMACsh 02-05-2010 08:38 AM

Welcome, Pete!

If you've got enough time on your hands, explore the Mac Help information (under your Help Menu). There's a lot in there, but there are more complete printed manuals at your local bookstore as well. The Mac OS _____ for Dummies series is for users who are new to Macintosh. It's light reading, and covers all the basics, and some "intermediate" stuff.

(Fill in the blank with your "cat's" name, Snow Leopard. I have the previous edition, because I jumped over all the earlier versions of OSX.)

oldfella 02-05-2010 09:15 AM

Great bits of information, much appreciated, folks... I'm already learning from your posts.

Pete