Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Specs:
    24" iMac
    I have another question, before I go to bed: Is Firefox email program similar to Outlook Express...and does it have a spell checker, like "ispell" - I can't get used to Apple's email program. Thanks.

Pete

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz C2D & 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfella View Post
    I have another question, before I go to bed: Is Firefox email program similar to Outlook Express...and does it have a spell checker, like "ispell" - I can't get used to Apple's email program. Thanks.

Pete
    Hi Pete,

Do you mean Thunderbird? OS X comes with a spell checker built-in so as you're typing it will offer suggestions and auto-correct common mistakes. Try it out. Try typing something wrong into a text field on a web page, or into TextEdit or another application; you'll find that OS X comes swooping in and draws a little dotted red line under your misspelt word

If you don't like Mail, consider using Postbox or Entourage.

Cheers.

Specs:
    24" iMac
    Yes, but I like "ispell" much better - it gives you a number of word choices. I am not a typist, never did learn, and I'm a poor speller to boot - my fingers keep hitting adjacent keys and am not looking at the screen, so by the time I finish typing there are a number to "typos" I have to correct and the spell check available only gives one choice. As an example, type the word "adjacent" with an unknown spelling, and see what you get; the program gave me a totally irrelevant word as a replacement choice, only one choice.

Pete

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Three helpers;
    Type the first letters of a word such as pie, then leave insertion cursor there and hit Command/Period to get complete list of words starting with those letters;
    Second with mouse over any word hit Command/Control/D to get a definition of that word.
    Third with cursor between transposed letters viz sue - place cursor between s and u then hit Control/T and it becomes use.

Specs:
    24" iMac
    Thanks, Collin, good to know - but that takes as long, or almost as long as looking it-up in the dictionary, me thinks.

Pete

Specs:
    24" iMac
    Any of my friends here has a coupon code for the "Postbox" email program, it'll save me $10 bucks (USD)... I think I'll buy that one... it resembles the MS Outlook Express email program I am used to. Thanks.

Pete

Specs:
    24" iMac
    Update
    I thought you would like to know how I'm coming along... fine, thanks; leaning more each day. I have a non-technical question: beside the small cleaning cloth provided, what else and how can I clean this huge screen?
    thanks.

Pete

Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfella View Post
    I have a non-technical question: beside the small cleaning cloth provided, what else and how can I clean this huge screen?
    thanks.

Pete
    I just use the free cleaning cloth but if you want a bigger one then buy any good microfiber cloth and it will work. I find that's all I really need. I don't use any liquid cleaners.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Ionized water (windex dries out the screen) and the microfiber cloth that came with your mac (or get some other cheapo replacements at best buy).

Specs:
    24" iMac
    Thanks for that info, friends.

Pete

Specs:
    Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram 320gb. Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.
    DarkestRitual, I use just a hint of windex on a cotton cloth to wipe down my screen. Is that going to take a toll on the screen? Like I say I barely use any.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    They say you're not supposed to do that... I use windex on a paper towel... REALLY bad. For the really cheap price it costs me as a best buy employee to buy the water and wipes kit, I think I'll probably do that tomorrow.

It will supposedly take a toll on the screen. The alcohol evaporating will dry out the screen, it makes sense. But yea... not terribly sure how much damage you'll do.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I've been using Spic n' Span Cinch on all of my laptops and the laptops at work, and also my LCD TVs at home. I've never had an issue. It takes off greasy fingerprints and always leaves the screen looking new:

Spic And Span & Cinch - household cleaning products for faster and easier house cleaning
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    24" iMac
    iWork
    I wish I had known there were other (free) choices than "iWork" - I have no use for this program, and would like to pass it on to my son should he decide to switch to Mac - problem is, I'm not sure I registered. How do I go about finding out if I registered iWork. Thanks.

Pete

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    When I try to open my expired 30-day trial version of Numbers, it asks me for a serial number. So, you do "register" iWork. Do you have it on a retail disc?

Thread Information