New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

A New Old Guy Here

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Welcome oldfella! Everyone has given some great advice, so I'll just come by to tell you that I will see you on the boards and give you the best of luck with your new experiences in OS X. You will receive a lot of help here on just about anything, so you're in good hands

See you around old fella!

QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

oldfella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

Thank you sir. FYI - I received my new iMac yesterday evening. I shall start the unpacking and assembly, but will have to wait till Monday night for a young feller to come by to assist me with the transfer from my PC to the iMac. I'll keep y'all informed of my progress.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Welcome Pete

bobtomay (the old senile guy)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chuongster

chuongster is an unknown at this point

Welcome oldfella. Just play with it everyday, be patience and you will be rewarded.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

You might want to pick up the book "Missing manual, Mac osx". I found this to be of great value as well. You can find it on Amazon.com.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Bobtmay, Chuongster, Firesidedog -Thanks for your warm welcome and tips. Much appreciated.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
god0fgod

god0fgod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

It took me a while to get used to using cmd for most of the keyboard shortcuts. It's still a slight problem because I'm now used to it and I often find myself pressing the wrong key when I'm not on a Mac.

Keyboard shortcuts will help make using OSX easier. Here are some big ones:

cmd + Q - Quit for most applications.
cmd + W - Closes window at current focus.
cmd + M - Minimise window at current focus which I rarely use because minimising windows isn't needed on Macs. It's easier to switch between them...
cmd + tab - Switch applications
cmd + ` - Switch application windows.
cmd + D - Hide windows and show desktop
cmd + Space - Use spotlight which allows you to find many things very quickly. Applications, files and even word definitions and the answer to calculations.
cmd + UP/DOWN - Easy way to navigate up and down directories in Finder
cmd + shift + 3 - Take a screenshot
cmd + shift + 4 - Take a screenshot of an area. Press space to switch to a mode which selects areas for you.
cmd + R - Refresh for all the browsers I have used which is Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome and I think Opera as well.
cmd + left and right - Go back and forwards in those browsers.
cmd + L - Highlight the URL address bar
cmd + K - For browsers with sperate search boxes this usually highlights that for quickness.

For common computer shortcuts replace ctrl with cmd like:

cmd + C - Copy
cmd + V - Paste
cmd + X - Cut
cmd + Z - Undo
cmd + shift + Z - Redo
cmd + S - Save

It may seem daunting, the idea of using these but once you get used to them they should make things much quicker and easier. They have helped me. I don't use all of them but many I do.
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Thanks, god0fgod - Printed a copy.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfella View Post
Pete (The Oldfella)
Hey there Pete. Didn't Apple sales people tell you that now you have a Mac you will be young again, and extremely attractive to the opposite sex, and it will also cure any cancer you may have in the future.

But seriously, welcome. It's easier to learn once you get you computer so that you can try things hands on. One big difference that confuses people and is commonly used is how to install your applications.

On a Mac you don't really install programs like you do on Windows. Most applications you copy/drag over to your Applications folder to "install". There are a few applications that will actually go through an installer just like Windows but most of them don't. Make sure to memorize your computer's password because you'll need it. Also your Dock/Taskbar on Mac is where most people place their shortcuts but you can put them on your desktop like Windows. Unlike the Windows taskbar the Mac Dock shows currently opened applications if there is a dot underneath the shortcut icon so if you still see the dot then your app is still open. Some people wonder why their computer is so slow and didn't realize they left every app opened.

I hate the desktop shortcut clutter so I have just about nothing on my desktop except for my wallpaper. You'll learn things as you use your Mac. Just ask questions when they come up.
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Thanks, EndlessMac - I'm nearing the Centennial mark, and need all the help I can get to at least keep my mind from wandering... you actually slowdown your mind's aging process by putting it to work. I see this PC-to-Mac change as a new "project", to keep out of the nursing home. I started "trying" to learn how to work this computer contraption in 1997, at the age of 80... I'm still learning!... Thank y'all for the encouragement I'm receiving here. Take care, friends.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Hey, another old guy here!

I use Version Tracker for getting downloads. Safe and dependable:Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker

Go there and look for: Flip4Mac, Stuffit Expander, and Gimp.
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Thanks, George - I'll check it out.

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Hey Pete! I'm sure not an old guy, but when it comes to Macs I am. Been using them since the late 80s when I was but a tyke. My dad got me hooked young while he was getting his PhD at Dartmouth. He had a Macintosh SE/30 for doing his work on, and of course a couple sweet games like Lode Runner and Arkanoid. Anyway, I used the OS all while growing up, and when I hit about 10 and we got our first Power Mac with a color screen (7200/120), I really started trying to learn all I could about the internet and stuff. So, here I am years later, having been shouting it from the roof tops this whole time, Mac OS is the way to go!

Welcome, and any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We've got pretty much everything covered between the people in this community.
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Thanks, DarkesRitual - My project is on hold, MacConnections sent the wrong computer - I ordered the MB420LL/A, they sent the MB419LL/A - different enough to raise eyebrows, and my ire - a simple error, or hoping I didn't catch it. I sent them an email, asking for a prepaid shipping label - I hope I don't have any problems with them honoring my requst for the return. Regards.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Hi. Folks - I am now on my new iMac, and am trying to learn this contraption. I decided to use my Microsoft "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000", which is compatible and works with the Mac. There is one key on the Mac keyboard which is used for inserting and ejecting out a CD. It's a solid arrow pointing upward with an under dash. The only key (the top silver action keys at the top of this keyboard) looks like this: >/= - with the equal symbol in a vertical position. Could this key be used for the CD insertion and ejection? Thanks for your help.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Four Our Enlightenment | LED, LCD or Plasma? »