New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Trying to get a MUG started in my city but no one is showing interest

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

I am trying to get a mac user group started in my city. I live in the second largest city in my state. No One is showing interest. Thus far I have only put up ads on craigslist and have only received a response from one person. Both my wife and I are long time Mac users. There is one in the "wealthy" part of the tricounty nearby but it is a long drove, so surely I thought there would be enough Mac users closer who would not want to drive 20 miles. But nothing, no one, nada.

Does any one have any recommendations on approaches I should take.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You might want to read this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/any...er-groups.html

QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I've had great success forming a MUG within the existing membership of a general computer club. The main club has about 300 members, and my MUG has about 50 right now. The MUG is growing at the rate of about 2 new members a month. Perhaps you can use a larger group, club, association, etc. as a springboard like I did.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterPussyCat View Post
I am trying to get a mac user group started in my city. I live in the second largest city in my state. No One is showing interest. Thus far I have only put up ads on craigslist and have only received a response from one person. Both my wife and I are long time Mac users. There is one in the "wealthy" part of the tricounty nearby but it is a long drove, so surely I thought there would be enough Mac users closer who would not want to drive 20 miles. But nothing, no one, nada.

Does any one have any recommendations on approaches I should take.
Where do you live? I don't think there would be any difficulty starting one up where I live. I just don't have the time for it unfortunately.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Try facebook or myspace or similar as a way of getting the MUG started. And maybe there is an online MUG in your area that might want to meet up if you organised it. Who knows.
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

Thanks for all the feedback.

@baggs I did read that, actually that motivated me to make it happen. And really I think that "documentary" featured the most atypical and fanatical Mac users they could find on budget.

@the8thark I considered those. In the end I decided Meetup.com was more culturally neutral and had less distractions than the others. That and I personally dislike the social networking phenonmen that has been destroying the brain cells of the masses (no offense, to each his/her own and stuff)

@ VegasGeorge Brilliant! That would work on so many levels. Great advise. Great method.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why I love and miss NYC (awesome accordian player) | What is the proper pronunciation of his name? »