New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Will Google be the Windows of mobile operating systems?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Not trying to start a flame war or even a debate about which is better, but thinking about the mobile OS landscape of today reminds me a lot of the OS war for PCs back in the day. You have a lot of operating systems available, some a lot more popular than others, and in the end it will likely be content availability, speed to market, and room for price/product differentiation that could eventually win the majority of the consumer market.

So, in that context, doesn't it seem like Google and their Android OS is much like Microsoft and Windows back in the day? Instead of making their software only available on their hardware, they have made it available to all hardware manufacturers, which, like Windows, could cause it to spread much more rapidly and quickly take over the market. The only difference today is that Apple has a big upper hand. But if enough hardware developers get on board with Android, and the software developers follow for more revenue, and because they don't want to deal with Apple's stringent app approval, Android could quickly overrun Apple.

Now, I'm not saying Apple should change their ways or anything, or that this could kill the iPhone. Apple has always been on the side of developing high quality for the few rather than sacrificing quality for a bigger chunk of the market, and that model has done well for them. I just think it's interesting how it appears that the future is unfolding similar to the not-so-distant past.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It's a good question, and a good way to start a flame war.

While I think Google has the opportunity to do some very cool things, people are becoming very picky about the reliability and integration of their hardware/software on mobile platforms. A cheap phone, no matter how cool the OS is, is still a cheap phone and some early Android adopters are learning this already. Since they don't control the hardware, the software upgradability will depend on the hardware makers to make the phones more "future proof", just ask those G1 users who's phones are not upgradable to the new OS 6 months after purchase (at least the iPhone took 3 software upgrades to kill the original iPhone, right as the original users AT&T contracts conveniently expired).

Since Google is ambivalent at best about who they license their OS to, this may eventually hurt them. Apple being a "one stop shop" and having a good retail presence provides a continuous viable alternative to any Android advancements, especially when it comes to Apps and support. Since Apple makes both ends, their whole infrastructure can be focused on the whole product, not just the OS. The only real advantage the Android may have will the availability on multiple carriers, although that may change for the iPhone with the advent of the new hybrid technology the advancement towards 4G.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I think there is too much competition for any one player to get that big. iPhone, Blackberry, Android, and Windows mobile are all solid offerings.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It didn't occur to me until just now but doesn't Blackberry make their own hardware?

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Don't forget Symbian, which controls 50% of the smartphone market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
It didn't occur to me until just now but doesn't Blackberry make their own hardware?
Yes, Research in Motion does indeed make their own hardware and software.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Don't forget Symbian, which controls 50% of the smartphone market
I have been to the Nokia store in Chicago and seen some of those phone, they look pretty nice but I don't know anyone that owns one.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I think Symbian gets a large chunk of the market on your average non-smartphones. That said, it did say 50% of the smartphone market which, when I think about, I agree with you. I don't think I've seen a Symbian smartphone. I only really ever see BlackBerries.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monthly wall calenders | Favorite ethnic foods »