New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Not too happy with my VW

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

My wife and I were going to see her parents who live about 3 hours away. We were about 30 minutes away from their house when the car (2006 VW Passat 2.0L Turbo) suddenly got very loud. We were able to make it back home and I put the car up on jack stand and took a look underneath. It seems the pipe coming out the back of the turbo came loose from the manifold. I took it to 2 muffler shops and they both said it couldn't be re-welded. VW said it would be $1,100.00 to fix if it couldn't be covered under the 80,00 mile catalytic converter warranty. I thought about buying an aftermarket turbo-back exhaust kit but I could only find one and it was more that what VW charges. Any ideas?

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
BD2002

BD2002 is on a distinguished road

Out the turbo like the downpipe from the exhaust side? I don't see why it couldn't be rewelded... any pics?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD2002 View Post
Out the turbo like the downpipe from the exhaust side? I don't see why it couldn't be rewelded... any pics?
Either could i unless it was some sort of Cast Iron

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

It won't let me upload the pics directly to mac forums for some reason. Here is a link to my MobileMe pics.

MobileMe Gallery

QUOTE Thanks
BD2002

Hrm.. seems odd to have come apart there, and IDK why it couldn't be rewelded, probably the material, but worst case buy a new downpipe and instal yourself.

Check out vwvortex.com for more info, tons of people over there.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Yeah, I wasn't sure why it couldn't be rewelded myself. I have MIG welder and I am pretty good with it. I would be willing to attempt the repair myself but I don't have a 220 plug installed at my new house yet. I know I'm not good enough to fix it without any leaks but at least it wouldn't sound like a logging truck anymore. Thanks for the info.

QUOTE Thanks
BD2002

I don't see a problem running like you are, except for harming the environment a bit, but I don't even have a cat on my car, lulz
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

Well, the HP dropped off a lot and the fuel mileage dropped some as well. Probably because the O2 sensors aren't getting any data. I'm guessing it's throwing the air fuel mixture off but I could be wrong. It's producing a lot of black smoke now when accelerating. The environment is a concern also but the biggest thing is I don't like looking like an idiot driving a car that sounds like it should be hauling logs through the mountains. I mean it sounds really bad. Not to mention the smell since the exhaust isn't going through a catalytic converter.

QUOTE Thanks
BD2002

Yea get that fixed ASAP lol

Are you throwing a CEL from the O2 sensors?
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

It didn't throw one right away but it did after I got home. I didn't ave anyone read the code but I'm sure VW will let me know what it says when they look at it Monday. I dropped it off yesterday but they cant get it on the rack until Monday. I showed them the pics and described what happened and that is how they determined the price. There is still a small possibility it will be covered under the catalytic converter warranty but I'm not holding my breath.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

if it's cast you'll have difficulties welding it with normal wire in a mig. The method and materials will vary based on the material. If it's cast aluminum.. forget it. You'll never get it clean enough for a sound weld.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

This is what my buddy has on his passat
42 Draft Designs Downpipe for GTI / Jetta / Passat / Audi A3 - FSI, TSI 2.0T RACE SERIES
It's a lot cheaper too....and sounds awesome!
It was a pretty easy, no guides needed, install.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

That's just what I was looking for thanks for the link! I will have to get the street series instead of the race series though. I want to keep it street legal in case it ever needs to be emissions tested.

QUOTE Thanks
idirtbike

idirtbike is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:

they probably dont want tto weld it so it doesnt get stuck if you need to put new exhaust or aftermarket.

get the race series it will still pass any test.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

The race series still passes the test because it still allows you to use the catalytic converter, but it happens to come with a test pipe for when you want the CC out on race day for when you don't want your cc to limit your power. With the resonator, the sound gets cut A LOT when compared to the example video on the website. It was high quality material with solid welds. I'm going to be putting that on 2008 passat soon. And also, the down pipe seemed to be held on to the attachment plate just by widening the tip of the exhaust from the inside while it was held inside the attachment plate. Then all was needed was to bolt it on tightly. Lots of companies do this, the only bad thing is that a lot of enging "play"(engine movement), it will eventually loosen the tight fitting.

Quote:
they probably dont want tto weld it so it doesnt get stuck if you need to put new exhaust or aftermarket.
Not true, because the attachment plate comes off with all exhaust. This down pipe got loose from the attachment plate(the plate that has the bolts on. If you look, you will see 2 plates...).

Good luck! Treat this as an upgrade, not a problem that needs fixing...LOL

I forgot, street series is nice too, but it's not worth the extra money when you can have a nicer sound.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about Wii | Setting up Microsoft Exchange Mail and Calendar on Mac »