New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

White technology - gets dirty too easily?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mint

Mint is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27"| iPhone 4

Does anyone else hate white technology because it very quickly goes from nice, clean and new to dirty and old looking? My magic mouse and keyboard has surprised me as it still looks nice and new, although I have been washing my hands before using it if they are slightly dirty from working outside. It's not just white technology that gets on my nerves, any white clothing shows dirt/stains so easily. I would love to see what state my black iPhone would be in if it got transformed into a white iPhone, it looks quite decent now with it being black but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be looking half as good in white.
QUOTE Thanks
idirtbike

idirtbike is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:

i have the white iphone and the WhiteBook, if you take care of your things they will stay clean and nice, new looking. my iphone has maybe 3 little scratches on the back from regular use over the year but it still looks brand new and nice and white (: my WhiteBook is just....well...BEAUTIFUL !!!! (:
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

It really depends on how well you take care of it...
The palmrest and keyboard on my two year old white Macbook is still looks brand new...

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I would also have to agree with empty noise on that matter. I wash my hands before I even think about touching my machine, and it's as clean as the day that I bought it.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Dirt on a white substance is more noticeable than dirt on a black object.

Either way, the computer will be dirty.

If you wash your hands before handling the object, then it should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm a slob. My aluminum MBP always seems to be dirty looking. Meanwhile, my wife's 2 1/2 yr old white MB looks like the day she took it out of the box.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

torbjoern will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Does anyone else hate white technology because it very quickly goes from nice, clean and new to dirty and old looking? My magic mouse and keyboard has surprised me as it still looks nice and new, although I have been washing my hands before using it if they are slightly dirty from working outside. It's not just white technology that gets on my nerves, any white clothing shows dirt/stains so easily. I would love to see what state my black iPhone would be in if it got transformed into a white iPhone, it looks quite decent now with it being black but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be looking half as good in white.
I would certainly not buy a white iPhone, as it would look like I'm holding a bar of soap, vanilla ice-cream or white chocolate up to my ear whenever I was using it. Not so afraid it would get dirty, since I use an invisibleSHIELD anyway.

However, if I had gotten the white 3GS 32GB for lets say... 180... (but not a PENNY more!) I might have considered purchasing it
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

I have a White MB. And I have the solution. (Suggested by my Wife and seconded one special Apple genius).

Yes, thats rights, its the Magic Eraser. It will polish up your White Mac like N...E...W... New. I can Promise. Use all around the frame of you Mac, i.e. around the monitor and around the keyboard....take off most if not all of that ever so slightly noticeable buildup on your track pad. It is strong and it is gentle and it is Cheap. But don't run it over your Keyboard. No, don't try to clean your keys. Though it is gentle. It will also take off the letters.

The Magic Eraser....Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

White technology gets just as dirty as other colours. It just looks dirtier quicker cause the colour of the dirt constasts more strongly to the white colour. So The onhter colours can kind fo hide the dirt for longer. Mind you a really clean white piece of technology looks really cool I'll admit.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'm a bit compulsive about washing my hands, since my work involves constantly touching other folks' keyboards and mice. My MacBook Pro (albeit silver) looks like new, but I have several friends with white MacBooks and I can certainly see how easily they get dirty.

I know some people love the white theme. Personally, I think it really looks dated these days and since it's not particularly functional, I don't see why Apple sticks with it. I honestly think the base MacBook would sell quite a bit better if they'd change it to black and kept the price the same.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Mint

There appears to be some confusion with my original post. I didn't mean that white gets dirty easier than any other colour, I meant that it shows dirt more than any other colour. White technology can look really cool when it's clean/new, but when it's slightly dirty it stands out a lot and makes it look shabby. My white Nintendo DS for example looks like it has spent the last year in a coal mine, it just isn't white anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I know the feeling. In a restaurant everything white (Uniforms, crockery, table cloths etc) can all be bleeched white again. But bleech your DSi and I doubt it'll be working again. SO we have an issue there.
QUOTE Thanks
Mint

A white iPhone would look so cool, I haven't seen one in person but I'm sure it would look good. You see so many black iPhones that I fancy being different for a change. Some sort of barely noticeable protection that doesn't make it any bulkier would be cool.
QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'm a bit compulsive about washing my hands, since my work involves constantly touching other folks' keyboards and mice. My MacBook Pro (albeit silver) looks like new, but I have several friends with white MacBooks and I can certainly see how easily they get dirty.

I know some people love the white theme. Personally, I think it really looks dated these days and since it's not particularly functional, I don't see why Apple sticks with it. I honestly think the base MacBook would sell quite a bit better if they'd change it to black and kept the price the same.
Pretty much exactly what I was about to post!
QUOTE Thanks
idirtbike

idirtbike is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:

honestly i had the aluminum uni MB and it seemed to get wayy more dirty then my WhiteBook. or maybe i just take more care of my whitebook after spilling iced tea all over my alumibody
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Debt | Happy New Year »