New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Christmas gift ideas?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

todd51

Ok, so my brother's fiance contacted me the other night and now I'm helping her come up with a gift for my brother. We just can't come up with anything. He doesn't do much at all and always asks for gift cards (which is what I'm giving him) but she doesn't want to give him those.

I thought of a remote car starter for his car, but his car is older and he will be looking into trading it within the next year. He loves sports and his favorite team is the Cubs, but she said she ALWAYS gets him Cubs stuff. Then I thought about a Tivo since he watches TV a lot when he gets home from work. Well, apparently he is getting "free" cable that has like 18 channels, so it wouldn't do him any good. Then I thought about a FM transmitter since he got an iPod Touch with the Macbook he got early this fall for the back to school sale. Turns out he gave that to the fiance because he doesn't even use the iPod. I'm sure he only uses his Macbook to check email and sports scores on the Internet. I don't know if he would appreciate a carrying case or something? He is seriously so hard to shop for.

Any helpful ideas? We are drawing blanks now.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
We just can't come up with anything. He doesn't do much at all...
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing! If he doesn't do "anything"...I can see your gift giving dilemma.

What the heck does he buy with the gift cards when he gets them?...maybe this would be a clue to what he wants or is interested in.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing! If he doesn't do "anything"...I can see your gift giving dilemma.

What the heck does he buy with the gift cards when he gets them?...maybe this would be a clue to what he wants or is interested in.

HTH,

- Nick
Yea I thought about that already. I'm not exactly sure what he does with the gift cards. I think he just buys movies or TV shows on DVD, which is currently what she is getting him. I think she just wants to get him something other than the usual.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

Has he seen band of brothers?
QUOTE Thanks
LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

tickets for a cubs game???
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandJLK View Post
tickets for a cubs game???
There is apparently a waiting list for season tickets. >_<"

I would just get him a Visa gift card or whatever...the he can basically use it anywhere.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Woodensail

Woodensail is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)

Beer? Beer is always nice to get
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodensail View Post
Beer? Beer is always nice to get
Needs to be like good imported beer. Then maybe. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
There is apparently a waiting list for season tickets. >_<"

I would just get him a Visa gift card or whatever...the he can basically use it anywhere.
Ebay!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandJLK View Post
Ebay!
Humm same time post, funny. Umm I don't trust buying tickets to an event from anywhere besides reputable ticket vendors. That's me though. ^-^"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
neiljontas

neiljontas is on a distinguished road

Recording Studio Taster Gift Pack. A professional sound engineer will help you select a backing track for your recording. At the end of the day you will take home your song on CD or audio cassette. For more information follow the link in my signature.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

TV on DVD never fails.. Find out what his fave shows are and pick him up a season or two.
QUOTE Thanks
yamawho

yamawho has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Mini late 09 version

Gift cards are great for retailers ... many of them never get used.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Going to build a computer for the parents. | Which mobile should I buy? plz I need ur advice? »