New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Apple #4 manufacturer in terms of Laptop reliability

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Many people who own Macs site product reliability and build quality as a big selling point for Apple computers, and a reason for price premium. SquareTrade issued a report of its findings of laptop reliability by manufacturer with Asus, Toshiba, and Sony comping out on top over Apple.

Here's the article by Gizmodo

The ones that surprised me the most were Dell and Lenovo; thinking the would have had respectively higher and lower failure rates.

One thing I don't is that in their summary they say 31% of all laptops will fail within the first 3 years, but the worst offender, HP, only tops out at 25.6%! Where is the 31% coming from? After there manufacturers not shown on the chart with huge failure rates?

I'll stick with my MBP anyway.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That report makes me wonder as I know of so many with Toshiba's who have died or had serious hardware issues and they were very careful with them.

Also I find Acer notebooks to be some of the worst out there. Most I have worked with have issues, some right out of the box that can't be solved and very bad reliability.

My brand new Aspire One netbook has has many issues. Screen looks like it breaking out with measles or something. I have babied it also. Found report after report with people with my same LCD issues. Even worse it died and would not even boot or even load the bios. Very common issue as I soon found on google. You have to Re-Flash the Bios blindfolded with a special Flash Tool hidden on Acer's site. Very bad quality.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac23

Mac23 is on a distinguished road

I had a very nice $800 Toshiba Satellite a couple years back that completely failed. I always took care of it, but within 1 year it died. Instead of getting another one, I went out and got my MacBook and it's worked perfectly for me since 2007.

Only thing I have had to do was replace a faulty HDD, but that's common practice for ANY laptop. Applecare also gives me the peace of mind.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I have read the PDF file about with the detailed information about this servey and found this.

Quote:
SquareTrade randomly selected over 30,000 laptop and netbook computers for this analysis.
And this.

Quote:
Only malfunctions reported directly to SquareTrade are included in the data. Other malfunctions, including software issues handled directly by the retailer, problems associated with product recalls, and those fixed by software/firmware updates, may not be represented in this data
Really 30 thousand is a pretty small sample size for a servey of this nature. And this to me is just a servey of "malfunctions reported directly to SquareTrade". And not all malfunctions in general. I think a lot of malfunctions are either fixed by the user themselves or sent other places to be fixed like to an Apple Genius for example.

So to me the servey is correct in what it is serveying. But people need to know it's not a notebook malfunction study in general. Only for ones sent to or fixed by SquareTrade. And the weblink in the first post does not advertise this fact.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That report makes me wonder as I know of so many with Toshiba's who have died or had serious hardware issues and they were very careful with them.

Also I find Acer notebooks to be some of the worst out there. Most I have worked with have issues, some right out of the box that can't be solved and very bad reliability.

My brand new Aspire One netbook has has many issues. Screen looks like it breaking out with measles or something. I have babied it also. Found report after report with people with my same LCD issues. Even worse it died and would not even boot or even load the bios. Very common issue as I soon found on google. You have to Re-Flash the Bios blindfolded with a special Flash Tool hidden on Acer's site. Very bad quality.
Same here. My personal experience, based on hundreds of laptops - both in my professional life, and also in my little side repair business, suggests that this survey is dubious at best.

ASUS, despite being big in netbooks, is not yet an established brand outside of enthusiast circles. I think the level of user savvy will have a direct correlation in terms of overall reliability. I can't tell you how many times on a daily basis, a user self-diagnoses a hardware problem that doesn't exist.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I have a question. Doesn't squaretrade offer warranties for used laptops? SO does this report show reliability for new or used ones? Either way, seems odd to me. Especially with asus being number one, and acer beating hp...surprisingly. I will stick with the Consumer reports results! It also doesn't mention how many of each laptop's results got to the test results.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Really 30 thousand is a pretty small sample size for a servey of this nature.
Actually that's a HUGE sample size, if anything my statistics professor told me is even remotely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And this to me is just a servey of "malfunctions reported directly to SquareTrade". And not all malfunctions in general. I think a lot of malfunctions are either fixed by the user themselves or sent other places to be fixed like to an Apple Genius for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I have a question. Doesn't squaretrade offer warranties for used laptops? SO does this report show reliability for new or used ones?
SquareTrade does off warranties, which is where the data used in the survey comes from. People who's one-year manufacturer warranties have expired can go to third party companies like SquareTrade and buy extended warranties. With an MBP, for example, they would go to ST because it may be a cheaper alternative to Applecare.

Bottom line is the data is from people who bought warranties from them, so why would they go to Apple and pay to get something fixed when they've bought a warranty to cover it? For this reason, and because I don't see any reason why they would want to manipulate the results of one manufacturer over another, I'm fairly comfortable with the result provided they didn't make any errors. It would be interesting to see the actual computers included in the sample though.

For all the people saying they don't think ASUS should be on top I think you're mainly considering ASUS's wildly popular netbooks as a reference, which the study did point out are the least reliable computer for any group. ASUS does make other computers than netbooks which may be much more reliable.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I guess the people who had those were just unlucky. I have never had to take back my Mac at the Apple Store to get it fixed/serviced. Now that I think about it, I did have a kernel panic, but I forgot how I fixed it. I never took it in. But that kernel panic doesn't degrade Apple's quality and reliability in my book. I still find Apple to have one of the most reliable computers anyone can buy.

QUOTE Thanks
sabot

sabot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: "Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display

83% of all statistics are just made up!

11% of people know this
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I can also attest to Toshiba laptop failures, both Satellites I believe. Over the past five years, my mother purchased a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy with an extended warranty. It failed two times, then on the third return she was given a new Toshiba, newer model. It worked for a couple of years fine, then it failed just outside the extended warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
I can also attest to Toshiba laptop failures, both Satellites I believe. Over the past five years, my mother purchased a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy with an extended warranty. It failed two times, then on the third return she was given a new Toshiba, newer model. It worked for a couple of years fine, then it failed just outside the extended warranty.
I know exactly where you are coming from. My Satellite had a hardware failure (the CD/DVD drive) and a failed internal Wi-Fi card sometime in the first year I had it. Now all it's used for is Spider Solitaire (when my grandpa plays it). The box takes about 5 minutes to boot up, it's basically not even worth turning it on to use the internet. You will forget what you wanted to use it for by the time you are able to actually use it anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have my two best friends fall victim to the absolute horrible quality of Toshiba laptops. I do everything I can to convince people to avoid Toshiba machines.

In terms of the statistics, 30,000 is a quite substantial sample.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

In the end it's very general. I think it's interesting how people take something like this and think that their own one or two personal experiences totally discredit the fact.

Just in case, here's another piece of anecdotal evidence: my MBP's logic board needed replaced within the first year...

QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I own an Asus netbook, and have not had a problem with it at all doubt that I ever will.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnerants View Post
I own an Asus netbook, and have not had a problem with it at all doubt that I ever will.
Asus makes my favorite Motherboards for Windows machines so somehow that does not shock me at all. If I can I always use Asus boards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uh-oh, what now? | The beatles never broke up »