New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

LED, LCD or Plasma?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

So I have the opportunity to get either a Samsung 50 inch 1080P Plasma, a Samsung 52 inch 1080P LCD or a Sharp Aquios 52 inch 1080P LED TV. They are all pretty comparable when it comes to the number of inputs and physical size/weight etc.

Anyone want to make any recommendations one way or the other, or point me to a good site to sort through this to figure out what I should get?

BTW, Price isn't an issue as any of them will be at no monetary cost to me or my family.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I have a plasma, I really do like the image quality, specifically the black quality.. it is NOT exactly light on the power usage though in comparison to LCD or LED. The plasma does, however, generate IR noise.. which is only really important if you're planning on using ir repeaters (you'd have to get ones designed for plasma monitors).. I can't offer a lot of technical comparison between the three listed as I'm certain everything I did in terms of research last year is now invalid

edit: also a panasonic plasma here

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I own a Panasonic plasma some of the best picture I have seen, one of the biggest key points to remember is to look for the native contrast ratio, because these days they are using dynamic ratios that don't tell the whole story. The other large issue is that every persons eyes is different so we would be telling you what our eyes like and not what yours would.

Just some facts for plasma
#1 Burn in is not problem anymore.
#2 Huge life span on them.
#3 high altitude isn't a problem anymore

For Leds
#1 still a lcd form factor
#2 not all LED tv are really what they say they are
#3 Tiny power usage

Edit: I really do like the framing look of some of the Samsung T.Vs it actually looks like a picture frame, and with a wall mounting, so wonderful to look at.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you can swing it I would suggest getting a look at the screens in lighting similar to what you will be experiencing at home. Some plasmas for example seem to give off a lot of glare unless the screen has an anti reflective coating. I've also found that when it comes to screens this is to some extent a matter of personal preference. You might want to check out Home Theater: Plasma Vs. LCD for some information comparing plasma and LCDs. That article doesn't cover the LED models if I remember correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

This is what I was looking for, hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

So you're asking "should I get the oldest, older, or newest technology. Price isn't an issue." Dur... get the LED! Come on!
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I happen to own a 50 inch Plasma TV and a 55 inch LED TV.
They both are high quality in picture, but my LED TV seems to be a lot brighter than the Plasma.
Many of the new Plasma TVs are 600Hz which is very nice compared to the 120-240Hz found on the newer LED and LCD TVs.

Plasma TVs are known to burn an image into the screen, so I would not advice them for gaming. The LEDs and LCDs will not do so.

In my opinion, I would take a look at all of the TVs and decide which looks better to you.

I would personally go for the LED TV because I am a console gamer, and I believe the LEDs are the best for gaming.

If you are watching pure TV, I would probably go with the Plasma TV due to the 600Hz vs. the 240Hz.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I'd go Plasma first (I have a 42" Hitachi), then LED, then LCD, because plasma is best for blacks and lack of motion blur.
However, I'd be tempted to wait 6 months now if price isn't an issue. Large OLED screens will be out by then, and man they blow everything away.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I've been impressed by the current models. The technology has come a good way just in the last two years. You'd have to work at it to get a 'bad' set if you're only talking PQ.

While I will admit Samsung makes some really nice electronics, I am unable to recommend them as a choice to anyone. As long as you get one that has no issues, you'll be ok. If you ever need to call them, be forewarned, they have absolutely the worst customer service in the industry. I've experienced it myself, sitting with a broken piece of equipment in my media center for over 5 months. Their ultimate resolution was also the worst I have ever experienced from any manufacturer of goods.

There are still current examples of this if you take the time to read the 1&2 star reviews in Amazon. Due to this one fact alone, for me, there is only one choice that can be made from those three options.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
Plasma TVs are known to burn an image into the screen, so I would not advice them for gaming. The LEDs and LCDs will not do so.
I own a panny plasma and play games on it for hours at a time, such as halo, oblivion, left 4 dead and others and I have never had a issue with burn in.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnerants View Post
I own a panny plasma and play games on it for hours at a time, such as halo, oblivion, left 4 dead and others and I have never had a issue with burn in.
after the fist 100 hours or so burn-in these days is pretty much identical... amazing what technology constantly marching forward does

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

See if anyone can get you the power consumption (= heat production) numbers for each. I'd imagine the LED would be cooler and less power-hungry than the plasma, and big TVs can put out a lot of heat.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Here are the 3 I am looking at, although they may change based on availability:

Amazon.com: Sharp AQUOS LC52LE700UN 52-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV: Electronics

Amazon.com: Samsung LN52B550 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color: Electronics

Amazon.com: Samsung PN50B650 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
See if anyone can get you the power consumption (= heat production) numbers for each. I'd imagine the LED would be cooler and less power-hungry than the plasma, and big TVs can put out a lot of heat.
LED and LCD are far less power hungry than Plasma, but new Plasma's are much better in this respect.
My Hitachi, which is 3 years old, chucks out tons of heat! Saves on Gas for heating though.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
taran_wanderer

taran_wanderer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro - 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4Gb DDR3 RAM - 320Gb HD 7200rpm

At that level, it's really a matter of preference. I wouldn't recommend plasma ONLY because they are losing the 'war'. That and the LED/LCD are thinner and lighter, and there is no glare, nor serious risk of image burning.

OLED will be massively expensive for the next 2 years or so, so if you are looking now, I'd give them a pass. any new TV will be a huge improvement over what you've got right now and you will be supremely satisfied with it for a long time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A New Old Guy Here | Looking for Authorized Apple Repair shops in Toronto »