New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Dear Hollywood: Please Stop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Inglorious Basterds (2009)
Plot:

In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a group of Jewish-American soldiers known as "The Basterds" are chosen specifically to spread fear throughout the Third Reich by scalping and brutally killing Nazis.

Dirty Dozen (1967)
Plot:

The plan, as described, is to infiltrate a château near Rennes, in Brittany, used as a retreat for senior Wehrmacht officers, on the eve of the invasion. Without having complete intelligence as to the identity of the guests, it was felt that the elimination of officers in the German high command or senior staff could cripple or confuse the German military's ability to respond at the time of crisis.
------------------------------------------------

Sorrority Row (2009)
Plot:

A group of sorority sisters try to cover up the death of their house-sister after a prank gone wrong.
Fast forward one year to graduation. Their dark secret remains buried. But does it? The girls receive cell phone videos taken the night of Megan's murder from an anonymous sender who threatens to forward the videos to the police. Then, one by one, the sisters and their unsuspecting boyfriends are stalked by an unseen killer.

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
Plot:

When four friends accidentally hit and kill a man on a road at night, they start to panic and decide to dump the body into the sea. A year later, they all try to settle down again, but one of the friends receives a note in the post, with the words 'I know what you did last summer'. As each of the friends gains their own reminder, they finally accept the one thing they feared the most; someone knows what happened that night, and now they're out for revenge.

District 9 (2009)
Plot:

An alien ship settled above Johannesburg, South Africa. Several interviewed humans suggest that the alien ship became stranded after what appeared to be a command module fell from the ship to Earth.
The creatures, primarily referred to as "prawns"—a derogatory reference —were eventually housed in a government camp inside Johannesburg called District 9.

Alien Nation (1988)
Plot:

A few years from now, Earth will have the first contact with an alien civilisation. These aliens, known as Newcomers, slowly begin to be integrated into human society after years of quarantine but are victims of a new type of discrimination.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Race to Witch Mountain (2009)

Escape from Witch Mountain (1975)

The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)

The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974)

Astro Boy (2009)

Astro Boy (1952)

The A-Team (2010)

The A-Team (1983 TV)

Poltergeist (2010)

Poltergeist (1982)

The Wolfman (2010)

The Wolfman (1941)

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately it will never end. I'll play along though...

Disturbia (2007)

Rear Window (1954)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You are forgetting the live action movies of cartoons. IE Transformers, G.I. Joe. >_>"

They can't come up with original stuff, so they just have to butcher old stuff. >_<"
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Amazing thing is: look at the list of top movies bought by the public. You would think Hollywood would get the message that way since they are in business to make money.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

While I agree with your comments however I do enjoy some remakes such as rob zombies halloween, thou I don't enjoy the new Dr. Lumus as much.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Inglorious Basterds might be a remake, but it is one amazing movie. It's the best 2.5 hours I've sat through all year, I think the last movie I saw that was this good was Clint Eastwood's Gran Turino.

But to follow along with the theme:

Wrong Turn 2003

The Hills Have Eyes 2006

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
macpwns

macpwns has a spectacular aura about

Funny thing is, in 20 years they will be doing a remake of Inglorious Basterds, and remakes of District 9, etc....
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Don't even get me started on Superman or Batman. How many times can they tell the same freaking story over and over and over and over and over and over...

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Don't even get me started on Superman or Batman. How many times can they tell the same freaking story over and over and over and over and over and over...
Agreed. Batman is particularly bad.

How about Zombie and Vampire movies. Anyone else sick of those?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
OnlyTimeWillTel

OnlyTimeWillTel can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: see sig...

I had my own gripes on the newest Batman, with Heath Ledger. Yes, it wasn't that bad of a movie on its own, but they screwed up the storyline majorly. Two-Face died in Batman Beyond, in which they showed how he got injured, how he died, etc. Then they gave him a whole new creation and death in The Dark Knight.

MASSIVE FAIL

However, remaking movies from 40 years ago into something modern masses can enjoy isn't always a bad thing. However doing a movie that was just done a couple years ago (Sorrority Girls/I know what you did last summer) deserves a steel toe boot to the balls several times over.

The live action movies.......well.....A lot of the recent ones deserve instant death to their makers. Dragonball Evolution was the biggest mockery of anime I've ever seen. Death Note was awesome though.

eMac 1.5ghz, 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, Sony cd burner
2g iPod Shuffle 1gb, 2g iPod Touch 16gb

<Rep is overrated>
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

District 9 and Alien Nation are not even close to being the same other than maybe a rough comparison of a basic view of the plot. The aliens in Alien Nation were human like, enough so that integration into human society was like integrating with a new race and not species. The Prawns are completely different from humans, most lacking the basic intelligence to do anything besides scavange, let a long become a detective/police officer/whatever.

Plus the Prawns aren't even liked by those that are helping them. There were aliens and humans that were friends in Alien Nation. No one can really understand the Prawns, Wikus could after becoming infected with their DNA, but that's because we was becoming one of them. There are just so many differences between the two movies that it's not really fair to compare them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Agreed. Batman is particularly bad.

How about Zombie and Vampire movies. Anyone else sick of those?
You guys are killing me. The Dark Knight movies are the two best Batman movies released. Jack Nicholson as the joker? Michelle Pfieffer as Catwoman? Danny Devito, Jim Carey, and Arnold Schwartz?! That's a line up for a mediocre comedy, not a movie that's supposed to be about one of the most brutal crime fighters out there.

And zombie movies just keep getting better. I love the zombie genre. Granted, it started with George Romero's movies that were supposed to deliver a politcal statement, but they're just getting better whether or not they're meant to be a comedy movie or a serious zombie flick.

Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
Land of the Dead

upcoming movies?
World War Z based on Max Brook's book
Zombie Land
Some campy Nazi zombie movie

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
LogicBox

LogicBox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post

You guys are killing me. The Dark Knight movies are the two best Batman movies released.
And zombie movies just keep getting better. I love the zombie genre. Granted, it started with George Romero's movies that were supposed to deliver a politcal statement, but they're just getting better whether or not they're meant to be a comedy movie or a serious zombie flick.

Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
Land of the Dead

upcoming movies?
World War Z based on Max Brook's book
Zombie Land
Some campy Nazi zombie movie

Ya I got to go with him on this, I love Zombie Movies, and the Redo on Batman is so much better .

Now if they try to do Ghostbusters remake I dont think that will play out very well.
QUOTE Thanks
OnlyTimeWillTel

OnlyTimeWillTel can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: see sig...

I'm not saying the Dark Knight movies in and of themselves were bad, just that they royally screwed up a series of events that were already in place, I.E. Two-Face, and while I don't remember the original Batman movie with the joker in it (it's been too many years since I've seen it last), I seem to remember that they at least established the events and goings on with the Joker back then as well. That would mean that while The Dark Knight was a good movie in and of itself, it royally sucked by bringing back two characters that were already discovered and brought to justice in previous movies.

THAT is what makes the newest one lamer than a guy with no legs, and THAT is why Hollywood needs to leave movies the <blank> alone.

eMac 1.5ghz, 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, Sony cd burner
2g iPod Shuffle 1gb, 2g iPod Touch 16gb

<Rep is overrated>
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
28 Days Later
Don't get me started on that movie.
I saw that, and kept thinking to myself the whole time "Richard Matheson is rolling over in his grave... and he's not even dead yet".

28 Days Later (2002)
Plot:

Late one night, British animal rights activists break into the Cambridge Primate Research Facility to free chimpanzees being used for medical research. The local scientist warns the activists that the chimps are infected with something he only calls "Rage", but the activists disregard him and set a chimp free. It immediately attacks and infects the activists and scientist.

Twenty-eight days later, a bicycle courier awakens from a coma in a deserted hospital. As he leaves the hospital, he discovers London is completely deserted and rife with signs of catastrophe. He is soon discovered and chased through the streets by infected people before being rescued by two survivors, who rush him to their hideout in the London Underground. They reveal that while Jim was comatose, the virus spread uncontrollably among the populace, turning most people into mindless, vicious creatures ("the Infected") and resulting in societal collapse, possibly on a global scale.

I Am Legend (1954 novel - 1964 movie)
Plot:

Robert Neville is apparently the sole survivor of a bacterial pandemic in which the symptoms resemble vampirism. The author details Neville's daily life in Los Angeles, as he attempts to comprehend, research, and possibly cure the disease that killed mankind, and to which he is immune (Neville assumes this is because he was bitten by a vampire bat who was "infected". Because it was not a human, it did not kill Neville, instead, he became ill for a period of time). Neville's past is revealed through flashbacks, while his emotional struggle to cope with losing his humanity is dealt with by going about a daily routine.
-----------------------------------

I watched the extras on the DVD for 28 Days Later.
The 'writer' (I use the term loosely) claims that he came up with the idea all on his own.
The plot line is strikingly similar to I Am Legend, yet Richard Matheson was not give any credit whatsoever...not even as an inspirational credit.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Highest earner! | Apple updating the store?? »