New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Blue Screen of Death?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mike518

mike518 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.

I was wondering about this whole "blue screen" thing. Okay, so MAC OS X background is a cool blue colour which is called the "blue screen of life", but what exactly does the windows "blue screen of death" look like? Does it even exist in XP? I remember being young on Windows 95, if I pulled out a cd before letting a game finish, I would get a blue screen, is that it?

Any screenshots of this screen?
QUOTE Thanks
code777

BSOD - happened on my old DELL when the HD failed. It had BSOD and Click of Death at the same time.

its the BIOS screen I believe / gives you all the error codes... but i'm sure others will chime in

I rarely got it until my HD died and it suxed! I hated seeing that BSOD!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I think that I can remember getting a blue screen of death on XP, but it rarely happened.

You can look through these images on google:
http://images.google.com/images?q=bl...r=&sa=N&tab=wi
QUOTE Thanks
mike518

mike518 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.

Oh thanks for those, turns out it was what I thought it was.
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

in XP instead of going to thej BSOD in XP it reboots... ( in most cases) so you will rarely get the bsod.
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthisisRomancex
in XP instead of going to thej BSOD in XP it reboots... ( in most cases) so you will rarely get the bsod.
True, but in my case anytime My XP system would crash the OS would just freeze and I would be left to re-boot it.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

you can stop it rebooting by changing the option in the control panel
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

in the later windows before XP wasnt it possible to change the color of ur BSOD...then it would be called the lime green screen of death
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

Lol. I would put it in red for evil..cause those nasty little buggers always used to get me..hence my iBook..my friend got a BSOD 4 days after she got her Dell laptop..I had a smirk on my face cause she was making fun of my love for Apple (=
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike518
I was wondering about this whole "blue screen" thing. Okay, so MAC OS X background is a cool blue colour which is called the "blue screen of life", but what exactly does the windows "blue screen of death" look like? Does it even exist in XP? I remember being young on Windows 95, if I pulled out a cd before letting a game finish, I would get a blue screen, is that it?

Any screenshots of this screen?
Back in the winders 3.1 days it was called "General Protection Fault" and every one wondered who the **** was this General Protection...

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Back in the winders 3.1 days it was called "General Protection Fault" and every one wondered who the **** was this General Protection...
HA! I remember those days. To avoid a crash I pretty much just ran in DOS. Oh yes, the safety of the command line.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthisisRomancex

It actually doesnt reboot itself, they just got rid of it and added it to the Not Responding thing. You cant get it in XP or 2000.

And OS X's blue screen of life is just their wallpaper. The windows blue screen of death is an error that fills your screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
It actually doesnt reboot itself, they just got rid of it and added it to the Not Responding thing. You cant get it in XP or 2000.

And OS X's blue screen of life is just their wallpaper. The windows blue screen of death is an error that fills your screen.
The default setting in Win2k/XP is to reboot in case of a severe protection faulte (ie. BSOD). If you change this setting in the System Control Panel, it will not reboot and show the BSOD (which can help to find what's causing it).
It is true though that those BSODs became more rare with 2k/XP...in 9x/Me they are a lot more frequent.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I remember back to the Amiga days, it was Guru Meditation Error! No joke. It got it's fair share of them also.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

ah the old BS-o-D. I got that the first time I ever used a pc as a littl tyke.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« the battle for net neutrality | Updates are here »