New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Prize Offered for Mac Virus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Some mac developers were offering a large sum of money to whom ever infected two macs on the Internet. But later, the contest cancelled due to mac users complaining in large numbers.

I thought the contest was kind of tasteless. What do you think?

Here's the article from Slashdot:
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...57221&from=rss
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Tasteless indeed. A virus is malicious in every respect, and writing one for money is even worse. Even if it does find new security risks that Apple would patch in no time.
QUOTE Thanks
aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

people made the virus and it infected the mac? I thought this was a very tough feat to accomplish...I guess UI was wrong! Don't get me wrong though, I still LOVE Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i think it is totally worth it. however, the security concerns if anyone does would be great. i dont think it was well planned. it should have been more secretive.

QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

No, there was no infection. There is no virus. People offered the money as a proof of concept thing, but it was in extremely bad taste so the contest was pulled.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Its not tuff at all to program a virus.. lil more tuff on mac, but its still very possible
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

I think offering up a price to anyone who can make a mac virus is asking for trouble. Then you'll have a source code out there to create tons, the moment one design comes out that exploits a flaw in the design. I'm glad they canceled it. Stupid in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
Blue_Dawg

to me this opens the floodgates for more of this crap to happen. I have no protection now and would rather not have to worry about getting any if I can avoid it.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

A lot of trouble can be avoided by not running as a root user all the time. Most of the problems in Windows happen because the user is automatically set to be an administrator. The malware will automagically run every time.

Macs on the other hand have root user disabled and instead use a sudo type system to do administrative tasks, like in most UNIX/Linux systems. This is much much more secure.

I'm not really scared of viruses for OS X. The chances of one attacking the community are very small, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared now does it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What do you wanna see ???? | Utility software »