New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Last.fm

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

STS9phreak

STS9phreak is on a distinguished road

Is it just me, or does the last.fm desktop app slow down the computer a lot??? on my PC, iTunes took a while to load, but I figured it was cuz it was a PC. When I first got my MBP, iTunes loaded immediately. BUT when I downloaded last.fm, suddenly it got very slow. Any advice to speed it up again (less deleting last.fm, of course)?

13'' MacBook Pro - 2.53 GHz - 4 GB Ram - 250 GB HD
80 GB iPod Classic
8 GB iPod Touch

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Last.fm starts as iTunes opens so if you are opening iTunes, Last.fm will open. This could very likely slow iTunes down. To stop this, go to the Last.fm preferences > Scrobbling > uncheck "Launch Last.fm with iTunes".

Note that if you do this, you will have to launch Last.fm manually.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
STS9phreak

Man, i wish last.fm went back to just plugins. Those seemed to be pretty efficient.

80 GB iPod Classic
8 GB iPod Touch

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

You could take a look at Songbird if you don't like iTunes. It has a similar interface, plays iTMS music and has a last.fm plugin.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Springy

Springy is on a distinguished road

If in the preferences you deselect "Show Application in Dock" - or something like that, it will speed iTunes back up again.

This seems to also make the application run as a service as it does not appear in the command+tab menu. It will still be accessible from the menu bar.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Get the audioscrobbler app. It links to Last Fm without having to have the Last FM software running. It uses no processor power at all, updates iPod submissions, and generally is excellent!

Audioscrobbler - The Music Technology Playground from Last.fm

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Lycoming

Lycoming will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook

Have you tried Spotify? An extensive catalogue of music. Not transferable to itunes or an ipod but useful for background on your Mac.

Spotify – A world of music. Instant, simple and free
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I hate the whole idea of Spotify, you never own the music! What's the point.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Spotify is also not available in every region. I get a "Why is Spotify not available in my country?" popup when I go to the Spotify page.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I have no issues with the last.fm app.
QUOTE Thanks
STS9phreak

i found an app called iScrobbler, which i guessed is powered by audioscrobbler and so far, its working great. thanks to everyone.

80 GB iPod Classic
8 GB iPod Touch

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Yep, iScrobbler is the app I meant. Great isn't it!

QUOTE Thanks
Lycoming

Lycoming will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook

An update on Spotify for Kevriano.
Spotify to offer one-click 7digital song downloads - Telegraph
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Interesting, but still not sure about it really. Thanks for the update though.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about xbox 360. | Lost connection while order was processing »