Custom check at the airport
    I have a friend who is coming to greece from USA and he will bring his own laptop.The question is: Will he have to declare his laptop in order to state that it isn't for commercial purposes and to be checked at the departure from greece that he has his laptop with him(and not left it to greece?)?He is flying fom USA to germany(1st stop to change airplane) and then greece. I am asking because i would be glad if he could bring me a macbook pro(ofcourse not in its original packaging for obvious reasons). I know ofcourse that it is illegal if you not pay a VAT in EU but in greece the mac prices are too high. So is it a common practise to state your electronic equipement when you travel? In many foroums i read that the custom check usually is a random process....not all the travellers are subjected to search.Is that true?
    Sorry for any mistakes.
    Thanks

Specs:
    iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
    It would be best to state the mac to the flight company, I think he could keep it in the original packaging and just claim it as a gift. If I can remember right they would prefer that gifts are unwrapped to allow for easier screening. Although I don't know for sure on this, I'd check with the company first to avoid any troubles.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by GGkiller View Post
    I am asking because i would be glad if he could bring me a macbook pro(ofcourse not in its original packaging for obvious reasons). I know ofcourse that it is illegal if you not pay a VAT in EU but in greece the mac prices are too high.
    Perhaps you shouldn't be asking how to circumvent the law.

My advice would be to clear this up with the proper officials before you even attempt something that could get you or your friend into trouble.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    You should probably adjust your question before is gets taken down.

To answer the legal part of your question, I don't believe you have to claim any personal electronics for flights. I think that would be an extremely cumbersome and cause huge delays in this digital age. But you should just check the offical channels, like check on the airline website and it should give you all the information you need.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

I heard that in Germany the customs wants to check your IPod for illegal downloaded music. Does anyone have some more detailed information about that?

Specs:
    MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Quote Originally Posted by Djohn View Post
    I heard that in Germany the customs wants to check your IPod for illegal downloaded music. Does anyone have some more detailed information about that?
    Firstly they cannot do this as it is an infringement into personal data which even private companies cannot dictate to in a contract.

Secondly, I seriously doubt it! Can you imagine how long this would take!!!

Thread Information