New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Will the Mac gods forgive me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM

So, uhh, I hate to admit this to you guys, but I'm building a PC system this month...
I bought my 12" ibook G4 last month, but decided it sucks for playing games and doing some graphics work that i like to do, so must build PC.
I'm going with a Shuttle XPC SK41G system as they're absolutely TINY!! Which I require as I need a small system for my tiny college desk.
Into this little guy I'm throwing an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 512 MB PC3200 RAM, 120 GB 7200 RPM 8 MB cache hard drive, a free CD-RW drive I have, Radeon 9550 128 MB 128 bit AGP card (gonna flash it to a Radeon 9600 though ), and Windows XP Pro. This summer when I have cizash I'm gonna throw in at least a gig of Ram and a dual layer DVD burner.

Do you guys think that the Mac gods will forgive me for doing this??

Hey, at least I'm not putting an Intel in there, right??
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

I think the mac gods will be cool with it but Thor is a different matter, he really likes his new mac mini.

QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

The UNIX gods are pissed though. Beware!
QUOTE Thanks
kingcrowing2

I was just talking to Mac God #3, and he said he would only forgive you made it a dual boot and put some type on linux on it (i think he wanted FC3... not sure though)
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

from a performance/usefulness standpoint, if I were to put a dual boot system onto it (I think can sacrifice a few out of 120 gigs for dual boot ), would I see any loss in performance from the hard drive if I were to set up dual boot?
also, I have a TON of software for windows, from astronomy, image editing, games, internet utitlities, what would be the benefit to me putting a LINUX distro on it?? I'm totally open to doing this, I just need some details beforehand.
Also, what is the best LINUX distro for a LINUX newbie??
Also, should I partition the drive into say a 110 GB and 10 GB partition, 110GB for windows and its apps, and 10 GB for LINUX and its apps? Or is there another setup that I'm missing...
QUOTE Thanks
kingcrowing2

I would reccomend Fedora Core 3, its based on red hat, and its very stable and easy to use, 10GB would be more than enough. the benifit of using linux, is that its fun and differnt, if you use it enough you might decide you like it, the biggest problem with it is there is very little software compatability for it, don't get me wrong, there are some awesome linux apps (Gimp, openoffice.org, firefox, etc were all designed with liunx in mind), plus its just a much smoother os than windows, i always love to try installing random Distros of linux on my PC just to see whats new, and its always different
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtnbsblplya
from a performance/usefulness standpoint, if I were to put a dual boot system onto it (I think can sacrifice a few out of 120 gigs for dual boot ), would I see any loss in performance from the hard drive if I were to set up dual boot?
Nope.

Quote:
also, I have a TON of software for windows, from astronomy, image editing, games, internet utitlities, what would be the benefit to me putting a LINUX distro on it?? I'm totally open to doing this, I just need some details beforehand.
Linux is infinitely more secure and stable than windows. Practically all the software is free of charge on Linux, and many cool applications are Linux/UNIX only. (Linux is never capitalized, by the way. "UNIX" is however.)

Quote:
Mandrake Linux is the easiest in my opinion. Avoid Ubuntu (and in my opinion, Red Hat/Fedora) like the plague. Slackware, Debian, and Gentoo are the most difficult. Avoid them.

Quote:
Also, should I partition the drive into say a 110 GB and 10 GB partition, 110GB for windows and its apps, and 10 GB for LINUX and its apps? Or is there another setup that I'm missing...
Mandrake will help you partition your hard drive. You need some hard drive for swap space and the master boot record - so if you have a 120GB drive (actual formatted capacity less) you should have 10GB for Linux, another gig for swap and MBR, and then the rest for Windows. Add more space during the install if you feel like it (20/30/40GB for Linux.)
QUOTE Thanks
solidstalin

solidstalin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5

I am the god of poppers and i forgive you...
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I should tell you that if you are going to use an ATI video card, then you might have some problems with getting it to work under Linux. ATI provides very crappy Linux drivers for their software. Use NVIDIA if you can. The drivers are closed source but are much better than ATI's.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

No, you will burn in windows ****, sorry about that. THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN. :cool:

Have you never considered putting more ram in your ibook. 256MB is a small amount and how about a faster harddrive ? :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

iBook has 768 RAM now, forgot to update.
Plus, 32 MB video is cr@p.
I want a cheap machien that can run Doom 3 and HL2, no *cheap* mac can do that
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

No, Macs are not really for games that's true but they work great for graphics work !!
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

REPENT! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
I would recomend lindows [20$ very cheep] and it is very easy to use [a cross between mac os x ease of use and the look of windows in my opinion]

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Must Have Freeware programs | 2 screens... »