Thread: MBP stolen...

Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
    MBP stolen...
    Well, after over ten years on eBay and nearly that long with Paypal, I had my first negative experience. Unfortunately, I was scammed out of my MBP and its Booq Mamba bag.

To make a long story short, I had these items listed for sale in a single auction. They were purchased, and the buyer paid through Paypal. The funds cleared Paypal's hold and I transferred them to my checking account. From my past experience, at this point, everything's fine and the money is mine, so I shipped the goods. Apparently not so.

My mistake (a big one) was not shipping to the buyer's Paypal registered address. I assumed that he was either on the road for a few weeks or had recently moved and not updated Paypal yet. Since I thought I already had the money, I said OK. I should (obviously) have insisted that he update Paypal and then I'd ship to that address. Live and learn.

The day after shipping, Paypal flagged the transaction as potentially fraudulent and debited my account for the total amount. The buyer claimed in email that he would take care of things with Paypal, Paypal claimed to have heard from him (though one guy there never knows what another has done as they don't reliably update their case file after each contact), but nothing actually happened. After a few days, the 'buyer' stopped answering my messages.

Yesterday I filed a police report. They wrote it up as stolen property and grand theft. So, if anyone comes across MBP serial # W88501QX1GA or Booq Mamba serial # B0281HO7680 , I'd really appreciate hearing about it. If you'd rather not contact me directly for any reason, the open case file is with the Clermont, FL police department (352-394-5588), case # 2009-00005630.

Thanks for any possible assistance.

Ken
    www.kenbalch.com
    ----------------------------------
    My project's blog:
    1969TriumphT120R.com

Wow, that's a shame that happened. Paypal is always touted as being secure and the best way to handle things. It's amazing what people will do, eh?

On the other hand, I'm quite happy to have read this. I just put my Powerbook on ebay to sell and would have never thought to check this information. I'll have to be cautious about that.

I hope all turns out well for you.

Specs:
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
    One more reason why I absolutely loathe Paypal!!

Specs:
    Thanks for the kind words.

Paypal's protections, such as they are, seem set up to protect buyers, not sellers. If I'd shipped to a registered address, I might be in better shape, but not definitely. Paypal mostly just protects their own interests. Anything else is marketing. Check out this link:

PayPal User Agreement Highlights

Seems like there are a lot of Paypal nightmare stories out there. I won't be using them again, that's for sure.

Ken
    www.kenbalch.com
    My project's blog:
    1969TriumphT120R.com

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Paypal is crap. It's not a back, you're not insured against anything. Just look up some of the stuff they pull.

Seriously, I could scam the crap out of some one and back by just following stories of how other people were scammed.

It's bad...
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
    That's a shame. Just goes to show that where there's a will, there's a way - a way to steal. Hopefully this guy is an honest soul and something awful has happened and they'll pay you for real.
    Classic Electric, LLC -- Serving Most of NJ
    License #16557

Specs:
    Unfortunately, it seems as though a legitimate eBay & Paypal user had his account data stolen by my 'buyer'. He used this guy's accounts to masquerade as the real guy to commit this crime.

I've posted the serial numbers and case numbers on several sites now, including my Facebook page, I've notified Apple (their case # is: 120412618), and I've involved law enforcement. I'm probably screwed, but I feel as though I've done what I can do at this point. If I've missed anything, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Ken
    www.kenbalch.com
    My project's blog:
    1969TriumphT120R.com

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB | 8GB iPod Nano
    Sorry to hear about your macbook

I stopped using Ebay a few months ago because their fees are too expensive... i did always think once the money got to you it was safe to post the item.

Thanks for the heads up on that

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    That's too bad. Paypal is a joke for sellers. I sold my first gen iPhone on there and only guaranteed DOA, nothing else. The buyer admitted the phone worked for a while and must have done something to mess it up. I tried working with the buyer to fix it even though I wasn't liable, but they could only scream refund at me. It was a very cut and dry case, but Paypal sided with the buyer anyway. Luckily paypal set a deadline to return the phone and the buyer didn't send it back in time. Something tells me the buyer finally got off their butt and got it to work. So in my case I was off the hook.

Hopefully your luck will turn for the better also.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
    Sad to hear about your loss. Hope the offender(s) is caught.
    15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black

Thread Information