New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Possible conspiracy unearthed....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madjan

madjan is on a distinguished road

When I was looking into purchasing a MBP 17" Unibody, I decided that I'd like to see it first hand in an Apple Store, rather than just gawp on t'internet. I went twice to my local Apple Store, and a strange thing happened....

I explained to the person who was dealing with me that I'd like the new 17" unibody MBP when it comes out, and I'd like the faster processor, so that it'll last me a bit longer. They said both times I went in, that perhaps the 17" wasn't the one I should go for, but perhaps the 15" would be better.

Now, I know I've probably over analysed this, but, to me, there's four possibilities:

1: The person I was speaking to works on commission, and, rather than have me purchase a custom built MBP online, they were trying to convince me to buy in store, in order that they receive commission.

2. Apple aren't selling many 15" MBPs and they're trying to boost sales of the little 'un.

3. They were actually being nice, and were correct in thinking that the 15" was right for me.

4. <Insert theory involving MI5 and aliens>

Has anyone else had this happen to them, or am I going crazy?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

It number 3.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I'd agree with rman.. Then again, I have a 15 and couldn't imagine carrying a 17

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
madjan

aaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!! they have you too! nooooooooo!

*runs away*
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You should see me right now, weighing all sorts of equipment, cutting off labels, tags, and extra bits just to drop a few grammes

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I'd agree with rman.. Then again, I have a 15 and couldn't imagine carrying a 17
I have a 15 and just bought a new 17 a week ago. I have to tell you - I am in love with this thing. After about 2 days I cannot tell the difference carrying it around. I think it is about a pound. I originally got it because of the matte option, but now I am so glad I did!
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"

We recently (last week) went to our nearest Apple store and bought a 13' white Macbook. The old iBook G3 finally blew it's GPU, so I shimmed it and sold it on ebay quickly before the repair failed.
Anyway, the person dealing with us was so good and considerate I said I hoped he got some commission, but he said they are salaried only and don't get anything from the sale.

And yes I did mention the repair in the auction, but still got nearly £150 for it.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

I have 3 friends who work in 2 different apple stores. Two work at a Macmedia and the other works at one that was recently put into our mall.

Neither make commission off of anything. I'm sure they were just telling you you probably don't need that 17 and should try and save money buy purchasing the 15"

edit - hugtheslug, you beat me on the post hahah, my typing lol.
QUOTE Thanks
madjan

well I guess I must just be highly cynical about kindness to strangers here in the UK. It's just odd, they both seemed to run off a sort of spiel that seemed pre-rehearsed, which is why it stuck in my mind.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The 17" has a few disadvantages to the 15" - for one, it doesn't have a removable battery. That's OK if it truly does run 8 hours, but a lot of people like having multiple batteries that they can swap in between. Additionally, it's got a bit more bulk than the 15" and the screen resolution is very high. That might be good for some, but if your eyes aren't as young as they once were, that should definitely be of consideration.

So, depending on how the conversation went, I could see them steering you away from the 17".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The 17" has a few disadvantages to the 15" - for one, it doesn't have a removable battery. That's OK if it truly does run 8 hours, but a lot of people like having multiple batteries that they can swap in between. Additionally, it's got a bit more bulk than the 15" and the screen resolution is very high. That might be good for some, but if your eyes aren't as young as they once were, that should definitely be of consideration.

So, depending on how the conversation went, I could see them steering you away from the 17".
I get a kick out of people complaining about the battery in this thing. I think the extra battery life is well worth it. Eight hours? Nope. A heck of a lot more than my 15"? Yep. I think I will find a way to sock away the 179 bucks so in 5 years I can afford a replacement. Actually I only keep my computers a year or so anyway. I also travel for a living and I NEVER see people swapping out batteries. Not trying to start anything so please don't take it that way. Just stating my opinion on the whole battery subject

Now the whole screen resolution thing? Very good point...
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjan View Post
well I guess I must just be highly cynical about kindness to strangers here in the UK. It's just odd, they both seemed to run off a sort of spiel that seemed pre-rehearsed, which is why it stuck in my mind.
I vote for number 3 also. Even though I wouldn't put it past any retailer to get their salespeople to push a certain product, coming from a customer service-type job I can tell you that after answering the same questions 50 times a day you can begin to sound a bit robotic even though you are completely sincere.

That said, I can't imagine Apple pushing the 15" unless it has a much better profit margin. I think the 15" screen hits the sweet spot for most people and it sell much better than the 17", so I would personally want to push the lower volume product.

As for the battery life difference: Buy a 15" with an extra battery and get a lighter overall weight, more battery life and still save money! (BTW, everyone knows that tested and actual battery life are 2 different things. I'd shave about an hour and a half off that claim)

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjan View Post
4. <Insert theory involving MI5 and aliens>
You forgot the Illuminati!

Checking the specs, it looks like the only major difference is the battery. For a $300 difference, it's not worth it. I might have said that the screen size was worth it but I quite enjoy a smaller screen (not netbook small though ).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Should have listed 'am I going crazy' as option 5 so we could select it LOL!!
QUOTE Thanks
madjan

I guess that was secret option 5 then!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Doctor Who | Has anyone suffered from panic or anxiety disorder? »