New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

"The virus that kills your computer!" Rumored Virus at my School.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dylanyouto

Dylanyouto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D

Yo guys, so today at my school I had a some what interesting class period. Upon arriving at my 3D Digital class we got a lecture that we "CAN NO LONGER CARRY OR USE A FLASH DRIVE ON SCHOOL CAMPUS".

My first thoughts were you have to be joking.

Turns out that my a guy who configures all of our computers at our school reported to all the teachers that "there is a virus that will infect flash drives. He is reporting that any computer with the virus will transfer it onto the flash drive then the virus on the flash drive once plugged into another computer will be transferred. Upon next boot up it will burn up the entire CPU and you computer will never work again".

The first thing I said was wow that we aren't going to fall for a joke like that. But then I realized he was being serious and actually believed this was happening.

Our school has all Mac computers and our specific lab has 29 Mac Pros. I still don't believe this is happening because he says its both PC and Mac. I have not heard any reports about this so my first thoughts are that this is not true.

Can anyone confirm this? And should I be worried?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanyouto View Post
this is not true.

Can anyone confirm this? And should I be worried?
You are correct.

This is not true.

There is nothing for you to worry about.
If a virus for Mac OS X was to ever be discovered "in the wild", it would literally be front page news all over the world.

Your IT guy probably heard about the Newton "Virus".
If you read the information in the link, you will see that it is nothing at all like the 'threat' your IT guy describes.

Again, this is nothing to be worried about in any way, shape or form.
No such virus exists for OS X at this point in time.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Dylanyouto

Yeah that is what I figured. when I was thinking about everything he said it didn't make sense. Why would a virus only effect flash drives. Plus how could it be both Mac and PC? I also thought if it was that big of a deal I would have heard something about it on the forums or from Apple themselves.

The funny thing is he said we have to use Email or Online storage to access our project files. Wouldn't that transfer the file the same way?

Weird.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

And how would this virus destroy the CPU? Change the motherboards clock multipliers and CPU Voltage and overheat the CPU?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanyouto View Post
The funny thing is he said we have to use Email or Online storage to access our project files. Wouldn't that transfer the file the same way?
Yeah... technically, that would be worse.

Your school's IT guys are amateurs.
Sounds like you go to one of the Art Institutes... most of their IT departments are clueless.

(As an Ai graduate myself, I am speaking from experience dealing with this "special" breed of IT.)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Dylanyouto

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Yeah... technically, that would be worse.

Your school's IT guys are amateurs.
Sounds like you go to one of the Art Institutes... most of their IT departments are clueless.

(As an Ai graduate myself, I am speaking from experience dealing with this "special" breed of IT.)
I am still in high school. I attend Natomas Charter Preforming and Fine Art Academy. I know the IT guy and he doesn't seem to know more than any other average computer user. Oh well haha.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

pft if they give you to much crap, use skydrive.
QUOTE Thanks
Dylanyouto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
And how would this virus destroy the CPU? Change the motherboards clock multipliers and CPU Voltage and overheat the CPU?

Yeah seriously lol. I don't know about that one.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

The virus grows nanobots out of various motherboard metals. Once there is enough of a colony, they will remove the heat sink, open the ZIF socket and carry your CPU to another part of the computer case to start it on fire.
QUOTE Thanks
socalisurfing

socalisurfing is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G

I'm never plugging anything into my computer again... not even my charger. Nothing is safe...

Nothing.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalisurfing View Post
I'm never plugging anything into my computer again... not even my charger. Nothing is safe...

Nothing.
I wonder if they will report that the "MAC" has a MagSafe Virus from plugging in the power cord?
QUOTE Thanks
HowGudAmI

HowGudAmI will become famous soon enough

i WANT to get the newton virus!
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

dont worry- fake- no mac os x virus. If there ever was, id kill all Mac virus makers! lol

Dont worry, no mac viruses yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

Something similar happened at my school, right before they replaced the IT guy. lol
Nobody was really phased.... I mean, I know an old PII Gateway would be a terrible loss for my dear old high school....
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

29 Mac Pros? oh my...

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slumdog million NO spoiler | Woz on dancing with the stars »