New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

so whats America really like?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ravenstor

Hi all,

in the UK we get a stereotype of America via friends, will and grace, 24, and most of the hollywood stuff, however my wife has been to NY twice in the past year and assures me that its a great place and ive a friend in in california who loves being there.

now i know London isnt filled with charming cocknies or the fact that its actually not most of England, so bearing in mind the 'where are you from' thread and with full respect of who we are as people what is America really like to live in and be a part of?

btw it does rain a lot where i live.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

I think that the most qualified people to answer this thread are those from the midwest and south as they are a large part of our population but are somewhat under-represented in our mass media. They live in what we Californians refer to as the "fly over states." (as in all we know about them is that we fly over them when traveling from Cali to NY) j/k I live the in the San Fransisco area, so much of what I see is very similar to what you may think of America from the movies. My parents live in La Jolla (an upper class suburb of San Diego) so what I deal with when I visit them is EXACTLY like the TV shows and movies with the beautiful women, fancy cars, and palmtree lined roads. But as I originally stated, what I experience here in the SF bay/ Silicon Valley and in La Jolla/SD is vastly different than what I'm sure some Americans consider to be the "true" america. For example I detest oval Stock Car Racing, country music, big pickup trucks, SUVs and George Bush but I love World Rallye, F1, bands like Modest Mouse and the Darkness, european cars, and politicians such as Clinton. But I can promise that is pretty far from the true 'norm' here in the States.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

New York City is an international zone. You will find so many immigrants from other countries that it's not *really* like the other parts of America (I've only been there once, but that was my impression of the place.)

I'm from Tucson, Arizona - a politically and religiously conservative Christian state. Think Missouri with a desert. Arizona ranks last in education and near the top for violent crime. It's not a pleasant place to be, in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I have travelled all over the world and I would say that pretty much everywhere you go.. you'll find something like it in America.. you want rain forest, you'll find it.. you want desert.. you'll find it, you want.. well you get the idea As for people liking it or hating it.. you'll find all types, just like in your own country. As for american's being like the movies.. well there are those people that are like that, but I would say majority are not.. and then again it depends on which movies We're just people like everyone else, we're all different. I have met people when I was out travelling in our countries that I liked and disliked.. and who liked or disliked me, same with people here in my own country. Visit.. you'll see for yourself
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

Visit.. you'll see for yourself [/QUOTE]

yes i want to, i think that sometimes that asking from an outsiders perspective you get more of a feel for a place, ive worked and lived in Papua New Guinea, Australia and Germany, spent my early years in the 60's in Canada, graduating this year and want to do postgraduate study and America is an option, but through forums like this i would hope that it is possible to get a better understanding of a country beyond the spin of politics and tv.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

280+ million people. Over nine million square kilometers of land. (All the Amercans are saying, "What's a kilometer?") Not the biggest country by any measure, but fairly close.

Which makes it tough to generalize about it all.

BTW, I live in "the South" at the moment. ("The South" is what US residents call the southeastern quarter of the country.) Around here, many people tend to take the Bible absolutely literally. Will and Grace isn't exactly popular.

People here look on New York and California as if they were in a different country.

But, definitely, come over and visit. America has good and bad sides, but it's definitely something to see.

And the dollar is weak right now, so it'll be cheap. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

America, again depending on where you go.. is a lot like Australia (depending on where you are at) and Canada (again depending on where you are at)

technologist hit it on the head, it's just tough to generalize, when we're as big as we are, same with Australia as you know, and Canada as you know.. give us an area of America, for example a state, and we'll be able to do better for you
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I live in the midwest in northwest Ohio. I live in the urban area, so our city is really a democrat area and not a lot of conservatives. If you want to live an average normal life, you live in midwest. You won't have an accent (in most cases), you'll dress normal, you won't think, Man, I got to lose weight to look amazing on the beach. Growing up as an American, I never knew that America was always under the spotlight as much as I know now. Any television shows that you see from America that takes place in New York or California just is not reality in most states, Ohio in particular. For example, I watched interviews of German students from their experiences in America. Everyone of them judged America by what they watched in the movies or on the television, and when they came over, they knew what they watched was just not the case, where they were staying. For example, in most movies, you always see families living in mansions with beautiful lawns and white picket fences; in most cases that is not your average american family.

If you're ever in America don't be afraid to just go crazy with saying "Hello. How ya doin?'" to whom ever you will have close contact with, like strangers. Americans will tend to get personal by accident in some conversations, so just let it go and relax. We love to use first names and sometimes in business, but would not recommend it unless instructed. Americans like to laugh and enjoy being with people who have a sense of humor. I think I can say for all Americans that we aren't comfortable around the subject of foreigners talking about our government or the war. It's a very touchy subject between us Americans even. In my opinion, no matter what country you are from, you represent that country 24/7; your attitude towards Americans will be reflected, how we view your country in the future. So be careful what is said.
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

tbh, i dont want generalisation, im interested to know where any of you are from and what your perception is of which state, county your from.

each of the UK's counties are unique and are quite proud of their heritage and diversity but as whole make up the UK.

i understand though the complexity of the nation, just very interested and wanting to know more.

although time for bed as its gone midnight here.
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

I heard that most Americans don't really 'get' the British sense of humour, any truth in that?

QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

what exactly is the british sense of humor?

ps iWhat: i live in dayton, i little down from toledo.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgefusion
I heard that most Americans don't really 'get' the British sense of humour, any truth in that?
Most don't, but those who do (myself included) find some of it quite funny.

Some of my friends can quote/re-enact the entirety of Life of Brian, the Meaning of Life, Holy Grail, *and* the Flying Circus skits.
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

[QUOTE=CaptainMack]what exactly is the british sense of humor?<

dry and ironic probably..

'the office' is the closest apart from 'little britain' to current english humour that is predominant in the UK so far.
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

[QUOTE=ravenstor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMack
what exactly is the british sense of humor?<

dry and ironic probably..

'the office' is the closest apart from 'little britain' to current english humour that is predominant in the UK so far.

both primetime tv or were.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I never had a problem cracking up watching reruns of "So Graham Norton" on BBC America. Dame Edna is also really funny, I understand his, oops, I mean her jokes.

CaptainMack,

Ah, yes, Dayton, my family and I always pass through Dayton on vacation. Hey, doesn't it seem that Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati get all the attention in Ohio, and Toledo and Dayton get left behind?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does the Powerbook Titanium exist | funny »