New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Economy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

Well I have been looking for work for the last month, no luck what so ever. And today my dad was laid off, matter in fact the whole night shift at his company was laid off as well. So any advice would be greatly welcomed, btw we have already lowered internet, phone, tv, cell phone plans he filled for unemployment.
thanks either way
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Sorry to hear that.. I've been searching for work since September.. Things are tough, even fast-food joints aren't even hiring.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

yeah it sucks, and I'm a student at the end of this semester I might be faced with dropping out because I can't afford to pay it any more. (I have been paying it myself not to put my parents into debt.)
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

This is the true nasty outcome of this depression. People having to lose out on education.

You should be proud you've paid for your school (thus far) by yourself. I took out student loans and didn't even finish because it wasn't what I wanted to do. Things are completely different when you are passionate about something then taking it on in real life gives you a different perspective.

I'm sure you'll do fine, just focus on the school most and you'll pull through and end up getting a real job.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

there's a big difference guys between a recession (which we're in) and a depression (which I hope we don't hit).

If you can stay in school, do so.. take out loans if you have to, educations a nice cushion away from these things... Other than that, good luck and persistence pays off. I've seen far too many people I know (into the hundreds by now) get laid off in the last 5 months

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I just started the job hunting process and prospects aren't looking good. Most local government agencies have hiring freezes, so it's next to impossible to find a paying position. My peers who have really good resumes and tons of experience are also having a tough time. Looks like I might have to take an internship position somewhere and tighten the belt as much as possible.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

The recession's really bad this time round. My mom has had a 10% pay cut and my dad's business isn't doing very well all along. Part time jobs for me are hard to find and most of them aren't exactly paying very well. If the US starts to implement protectionism or anti-trade measures, my country and a whole lot of other countries are gonna be real screwed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

Anyway, back on topic, maybe you can try purchasing house brands(dunno if you have 'em over there) in supermarkets and such, so that you could save quite a bit on your groceries bills.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

Yeah we have a costco membership and yeah its time to kick it down to store brands. But thanks guys, I hope I don't have to have to look towards student loans while I'm still at a community college.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by calenerd View Post
If the US starts to implement protectionism or anti-trade measures, my country and a whole lot of other countries are gonna be real screwed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.
You and me both.. the devices I work on are heavily exported.. we stop buying others stuff, they'll stop buying ours. Which will simply make the whole world economy worse.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MacGnG

MacGnG is on a distinguished road

check grocery stores. thats where i work.
QUOTE Thanks
Lankysean

Lankysean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Check radioshack, that's where i work and we just hired two new people in the last month.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I'd say that instead of lowering those monthly expenses, you may just have to cut them out completely. It really sucks, but if you really have to cut costs, you really have to cut costs. There's always the library for internet when you need it and local TV stations.

I agree about syaing in school. You've already made a significant investment and shouldn't throw that away. It would probably be best to stay in school and live off loans. Hopefully by the time you're done the economy will be recovering or you'll have obtained a skill set that'll help you get a job. Statistically, college admissions actually go up during economic downturns for that very reason.

Good luck!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any Mac techs on this board? | A random Question Poll »