New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I have never been so dissatisfied with Applecare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

To open this up I've had some really great experiences with applecare. They replaced the logic board on my ibook twice and then when they found that it was just not doing it they sent me a free macbook pro. That's amazing service.

I have only had one mishap with my MBP that I've needed to send it in for so far. The superdrive stopped functioning and I sent my MBP in and they replaced it no issue.

Now comes the part that blows me away. Today I called apple care because my lcd has a few (3-4) broken, stuck or multicolored pixels. I assume this would not be an issue and they would replace or repair the lcd. Here's the convo...

Quote:
Me: Hey I just wanted to see if I could get my screen repaired, I have 3 or 4 broken pixels...etc etc

Rep: Well sir, I'm sorry to inform you that Apple considers 5 or less broken pixels acceptable use, you are welcome to take your mbp to a repair center and have them check to see if there are more than 5 pixels stuck.

Me: I don't understand how that could be acceptable? It's a 2500$ laptop that I paid 349$ for the applecare warranty. For basically 3000$ I would expect it to be in complete working condition. The pixels are distracting.

Rep: I don't see how 4 tiny little pixels could be distracting to you...

Me: Well I find it distracting and that should be all that matters, not your opinion of how distracting it is, besides I don't see anywhere in my applecare agreement that 3-5 pixels is acceptable, nor do I see it in any other documentation I have gone over.

Rep: Sorry, policy is policy.

Me: Policy? Never mind I've just arrived at work I will call again tomorrow.
Now obviously I only paid for the 350$ warranty and basically the 1500$ it was for my ibook, but still...for the 3000$ it would have been costing me how can anything but perfect be acceptable?

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

because there has to be a point at which acceptability is defined? I mean even the products I work with, which are multiple million dollar items.. designed to be completely redundant are still five - nines (99.999%) operational by design

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I mean, maybe I'm making too much of it, but its annoying to me to see the white pixels in the middle of my work when I'm working on graphics for my works webpage...

It just seems odd..

QUOTE Thanks
Lankysean

Lankysean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Apple actually has a pretty good dead pixel warranty, Sony needs 12 or more and dell need 8. Just saying.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

Good to know. Doesn't help that they still annoy me though

QUOTE Thanks
pantstofry

pantstofry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case

Well sorry to hear that... I had a whole column of dead pixels on my MBP, and of course they repaired it, but never heard about the 5 or less policy

Adam Z
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

That seems like too many to me. I mean, Apple charges a lot more for their computers than other companies do (not to mention their warranties are more expensive!). I'd hope that 3 or more would be enough to justify a replacement.

I have a 20" LCD (not an Apple) that has one stuck pixel and I never really notice it. If it had two, it would be unfortunate but I'd live with it. Four, though, seems like it would be excessive.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you search the boards, you might find a application could help in bring those pixels back to live. Also I have read, if you gently massage the around of the dead pixel, it may bring it back.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Kill two more pixels and you should be set.

Or try rman's suggestion.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Just find a way to kill another pixel. The policy is crap. It's not as if the guy only has 1 dead pixel, this is inflexibility at its finest.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbanded

Redbanded is on a distinguished road

Applecare is worth every penny. I just love the peace of mind that within 3 years, my mac is covered. If you buy one, pick one up on ebay or overstock auctions. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

I know, I have applecare, it is applecares policy that I have to have 3-5 dead pixels to qualify for free replacement.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milessthomas View Post
I know, I have applecare, it is applecares policy that I have to have 3-5 dead pixels to qualify for free replacement.
That's common industry policy from a lot of manufacturers. Of course, Apple's seems worse, as the MBP is so much more expensive than say the entry level MacBook or a low-end Dell.

But put it this way: If you had an iBook before and received a 15" MacBook Pro basically for free, you've already been given a larger machine than most would expect (the iBook's sucessor is the 13" MacBook, not the 15" MacBook Pro).

So you've got a 2" larger display for free. Just tell yourself those 2 pixels are in the free area
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Massaging on and around the dead pixel area does work, I've done it before on a laptop and the dead pixel never returned.

You could "tell" Apple over the phone that you have 6 pixels and if they only find 3 or 4 when they test it, you could argue that vibration during shipment may have gotten them to "unstick". Could happen.
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

Email Sjobs@apple.com include all your contact info. they will do it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« pretty pathetic... | Where do you play online Poker? »