New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Netbooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Avenger2SER

Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)

I've got an old 12" iBook in a drawer at home that I'm going to put up on ebay for a $300 soon and I'm thinking about getting a Lenovo S10 netbook. Just want something to tinker with really, maybe to take with me on the plane or what not.

What are your thoughts on this, anyone recommend a better device?

Macbook Air 11" 4gb, 128gb SSD (2012)
Mac Mini i5 16gb, 128gb SSD, 1tb internal, 2x 1tb external (2012)
MacBook Pro,4gb,128gb SSD (early 2008)
iMac G3 600, iPad Mini Retina 64gb, iPhone 5, and more.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If your needs are pretty basic, and you travel frequently, I think I'd go with one of the $299 ASUS EEE PCs. They run a Linux install with a bunch of preloaded applications that cover most of the bases. And since it's Linux, you're not going to have to worry about the maintenance and malware issues you would with a Windows machine. Also, at $299, if it gets damaged or stolen in your travels, it's not a huge loss.

Just my $0.02. I haven't had to travel as frequently as I've had to in the past, but if they made these back when I was traveling, I'd have been all over them.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

The S10 looks like a decent NetBook. A few months ago I picked up the Asus Eee PC for $349 and really like it. I chose it over the others because I couldn't find one with a large enough hard drive at the time and the Eee has a 120 GB drive, but it's not an SSD.

My main reason for getting it was the SD card reader to offload pictures from my D80 in the "field" and for portable "light internet usage" with my iPhone (using pdaNet).

I read somewhere online that someone managed to get OS X to run on their Eee, mine came with XP on it and I installed Vista Home as a dual boot and believe it or not, Vista doesn't run too sluggish (running one or two memory-conservative apps simultaneously, haha). XP runs pretty snappy even with Symantec Anti Virus installed.
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Mac Specs: Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)

Not interested in Linux at all, drives me crazy (and I'm an IT guy so go figure). Having a windows device does make me feel kind of dirty these days, but I can put up with it unless it's vista.

The card reader idea is good, it would be another feature I could use. Of course my Sony Alpha uses CF cards so I'll still need to hook it up via usb...

Oh, and you can run OS X on the S10, found a couple of videos on you tube attesting to this, although I'm not a big hackintosh fan...

QUOTE Thanks
jbarket

jbarket is on a distinguished road

I actually just traded an S10 to a user on here. My wife uses one full time.

If all you're worried about is rocking some tunes and surfing the web, it's fantastic... but the screen makes it not so great for anything else.

I was really hoping to use mine as the world's most complex photo dump drive, but... as much as it's perfectly capable of running Adobe Lightroom... importing and actual photo manipulation is slow and a pain with the tiny screen.

I threw Vista on mine and my wife's. Ignore the FUD, there's nothing wrong with it. More importantly, Vista will actually recognize the max 2.5GB of RAM while XP will only recognize 2GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Food for thought, thanks for the input everyone.

QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

I've always liked the dell mini's. Looking at the Lenovo I may have found something new.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
I've always liked the dell mini's. Looking at the Lenovo I may have found something new.
Yeah, I was looking at the HP but wasn't impressed by the price and it looked cheapish. Then I saw the lenovo at circuit city and was really impressed by the look and build quality. Always liked the IBM thinkpad style of design, rugged and simple.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I really like the netbooks because they would be great for traveling, or just keeping with you no matter where you go. I hope Apple does come out with one eventually. It would be much easier toting one of those around on business trips than an MBP (along with my work computer).

The Thinkpads aren't much to look at, but they seem pretty well built. I use an R60 for work and would have bought one for personal use if I hadn't made the switch.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

the ibook 12in isnt small enough? or wont do the job?
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

What are the specs on the iBook? I might be interested in it if you are going to sell. I need to pick up a cheap Mac notebook for my parents.
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

I just picked up the S10 a few days ago. It runs OS X but I havent figured out how to get the sound working. Otherwise its a pretty fast little machine running Leopard.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

FYI: not really supposed to discuss running OSX on computers that aren't made by Apple.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you want to get technical, it's the hackintosh process that we're really not supposed to discuss. Nothing wrong with talking about it generally or in the abstract.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have had the chance to compare the Acer Aspire One, Lenovo S10 and a couple of others and to ME the Lenovo is the best of the lot. Excellent build quality and with the same install of XP feels faster than the Acer and the others I got to mess with. The screen is very nice for it's size and much easier on my eyes than the Acer at least or any of the 8.9" Netbooks.

The Lenova just looks and feels better and for sure seems faster. I got way higher WiFi Signal on the Lenovo than the others also. On the Acer Aspire One, most of the neighbors networks did not show in the list and the Lenovo showed them all and at decent signal level also.

Just for the record, my friend gave me his Acer Aspire One for helping him with his new house wiring and network. He then bought the Lenovo and loves it.

For the poster who asked if the iBook 12" was not small enough? For some uses no at least for me. I own a 12" G4 iBook and love it but use the little Netbook when I go places that I would not want to lug the iBook. The netbook is that light.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal pushes all my appointments back one day | General Moving Advice Needed »