New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Where does Windows 7 leave Apple?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marky_mark

marky_mark is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook

Having read a few articles on Windows 7 it seems to be getting some good reviews. How where does that leave Apple and OS X? Will people move to Windows 7 on mass from Apple or will Apple hold firm?

What are your thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I seriously doubt hardcore Mac users that have been using the Mac OS is going to jump ship. There is also Snow Leopard on the way.

For one lets just face it by this time and age most computer literate people can use both OS without much issue.

We can stop the OS wars now.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Exactly as it was before Windows 7 came out ~ OS X.5.6 is where and no Mac users will not move to Windows 7 en masse hence 5,000 poor devils at Microsoft losing their jobs this week sadly.

Both Microsoft and Apple release operating systems without affecting each other.
QUOTE Thanks
mystic_fm

mystic_fm will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM

Any Windows is still going to be Windows, and you know what that means. I have some minor interest in Windows 7 just because I will eventually need to upgrade one or both of my PCs to something newer than XP, but I don't believe for a second that my Mac won't continue to be my computer of choice for most tasks.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_fm View Post
Any Windows is still going to be Windows, and you know what that means...
No, I'm sorry I don't know what that means. Please enlighten the rest of us.

Have you tried it yet? If you haven't then you don't get to past judgment on something that is still in the beta phase.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

A new Windows OS is just a Windows OS with a different name.

Yes, I can & have used both, the differences between them remain and I still do not like using a Windows. I actually have no use for any MS software.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

How is it going to affect Apple? It might keep some people who were on the fence from switching. It's not going to have Mac users switching en masse, if that's what you're implying.

As for what effect it'll have on Microsoft, I would imagine the impact would be rather substantial as the new OS might get corporations and possibly governments to finally upgrade their systems from XP (or even 2000). This is huge since Microsoft missed a big chunk of revenue from its corporate and government customers when they didn't upgrade to Vista.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

isn't that the main reason for 7?? to try and get people to upgrade from XP??
but I hardly think any Mac user will charge the store to get his hands on a Windows 7 disk
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I for one, have been waiting for news of the new i7's in the Mac world. Have been ready to replace our primary desktop for awhile. Our desktop replacement is not going to be a Mac without the i7.

As someone that's been into O/C'ing since '95, I have been trying to curb my interest in building a new system because I have come to like OS X. But, am not sure how much longer I'll hold out. Pushing that new 2.66 up to around 3.8 on air has me excited and almost giddy about the prospect. I can do it for well under $1500 if I stick it in my old Antec P160 case, add 6GB RAM and a HD 4870 x2 2GB video memory. It's becoming just too tempting.

There are more like me out there. Am not a fanboy of one or the other. I would still prefer my hardware of choice, that can run a good OS. The debacle of Vista caused a whole bunch of folks to jump ship and buy their first Macs. If Win 7 ends up as good as it's looking right now, those out there like me will forego the new iMac and Mac Pro in favor of building their own and sticking with XP or moving on to Win 7.

Granted, people like me will not make or break Apple's computer sales. But, if MS comes out with a good OS this time around, it will affect our advice to the friends and acquaintances that come asking for our help on buying a new system.

At the same time, would think that I'll remain a user of both OS's. Have no consideration, at least now, of getting rid of my MBP. The Win world would just be getting the first of my money since the intro of Vista. Maybe I can wait to see how the next few months unfold, maybe not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
isn't that the main reason for 7?? to try and get people to upgrade from XP??
Yes, but that's not what the OP was asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
At the same time, would think that I'll remain a user of both OS's. Have no consideration, at least now, of getting rid of my MBP. The Win world would just be getting the first of my money since the intro of Vista. Maybe I can wait to see how the next few months unfold, maybe not.
I'm definitely looking forward to the final release of 7 so that I can throw it on my HTPC. Really excited about getting those new Media Center features

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

I'll get it sure bit I'll be running it on vmware fusion having used my parents pcs over the years I can genuinely say that, branding aside, the mac OS and hardware comliment themselves perfectly, this is just not the same on windows machines........
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Having read a few articles on Windows 7 it seems to be getting some good reviews. How where does that leave Apple and OS X? Will people move to Windows 7 on mass from Apple or will Apple hold firm?

What are your thoughts?
I've been using the W7 beta, and so far, I can tell you that I'm not really impressed. Aside from a more unix-like attempt at a file structure, and a less intrusive User Access Control than Vista, it's not much better than Vista.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I doubt if it is going to cause any people who have a mac to switch back. All it would do is push back those who are looking into switching, and increased sales all around. And I would have to disagree with those who say that windows 7 is not better than vista. In my honest option windows 7 is on third base looking to run home, and it's pretty close to that too. Both Apple and Microsoft are both powerhouses if one launches a new OS it's not going to kill the other, it's going to make them to launch a better version of there product. Aka competition at its best.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Competition is always a good thing.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Granted, people like me will not make or break Apple's computer sales. But, if MS comes out with a good OS this time around, it will affect our advice to the friends and acquaintances that come asking for our help on buying a new system.
I personally don't see me recommending any prebuilt or pre OS loaded PC to anyone. They are full of bloatware and software that just isn't needed at all. Takes hours to uninstall them all.

I wouldn't wish that on family or friends...let alone people I despise.

Build your own, and install yourself has always been my motto for building PCs. It's a shame that we are kind of stuck with Windows to do gaming, otherwise I would have opted to use other alternative OSes. T_T"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick question for anyone who snorkels/ SCUBA dives | New search engine »