New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

After interview follow-up "gift"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

hey there,

i have an interview tomorrow at a publishing company and would like to see if any of you have ever done any clever follow-up gifts? im thinking the usual thank you card with starbucks coffee/itunes gift card or something. just wanted to pick your brains to see if you have any other ideas. thanks.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
legless

legless is on a distinguished road

Are you looking to have something published, or are you looking for a job?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

While I've sent emails etc I've never sent a gift.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

oh sorry, should have specified. Art Director position in their marketing dept. :-)

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The vast majority of people out there simply send letters or emails, so anything you add would be a bonus. I would imagine even a simple gift card would set you apart from the vast majority of people out there.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I don't think I've ever heard of giving someone a gift after a job interview. Would the recipient even be allowed to accept it given most corporate ethic guidelines?

I'd only go for it if it naturally comes up in the conversation somehow... say they asked you something music-art related, then you could say "I liked band xyz's artwork - heard of them?" If they haven't, follow-up with an iTunes gift card and a song recommendation.

But otherwise I'd just stick with the thank-you note, if that's customary.

Maybe it's just a european thing, but I'd think I'd have to question why the applicant felt the need for it...
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of giving someone a gift after a job interview. Would the recipient even be allowed to accept it given most corporate ethic guidelines?

I'd only go for it if it naturally comes up in the conversation somehow... say they asked you something music-art related, then you could say "I liked band xyz's artwork - heard of them?" If they haven't, follow-up with an iTunes gift card and a song recommendation.

But otherwise I'd just stick with the thank-you note, if that's customary.

Maybe it's just a european thing, but I'd think I'd have to question why the applicant felt the need for it...
I obviously spent too much time in Europe, because that was what I thought too.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

thanks for the info guys.

every job ive ever interviewed for i've always sent a starbucks card or whatever. but maybe you're right. a nice, letterpress thank you note might be the best route.

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Since you are into Art Design, send a custom made thank you card. What you are trying to do is two things. Thank them for their time and to make sure that they remember you.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I know at my company, a gift would not be acceptable, according to our corporate ethics program. It might also be seen as a bribe. It's customary to send a thank you letter, I would stick with that.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Davidk02

Davidk02 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac

I agree, anything more than a thank you card seems a little like sucking up, and most employers aren't looking for that.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I know at my company, a gift would not be acceptable, according to our corporate ethics program. It might also be seen as a bribe. It's customary to send a thank you letter, I would stick with that.
Agree 100% as person who has done both a lot of interviewing and hiring.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

Interesting ideas. I would try something more personal. Try to spark a discussion with the interviewer, say about a hobby or family, and if they give off any clues, maybe get/make them a gift that relates to a hobby, or something for their family (say a game or movie).

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
Lankysean

Lankysean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

I'm pretty sure people in the corporate world aren't supposed to accept gifts. Even at my horrible position at Radioshack the code of ethics say to NEVER accept gifts from anyone for anything. To quote my manager: "even if you save the presidents life while on the job you have to turn down any reward, publicity, or gifts that come your way". Though, a thank you card would probably be very appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

My take on this is that an interview gift is a bribe or a suck up. A bribe is unethical and I don't like suck ups, so therefore I would question if you are the right hire.

I like the alternative ideas that show off your creativity. Especially for the job title.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting Your Stuff On TV? | Performance reviews, quite possibly the worst idea corporate America has ever had. »