New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

GPS Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brokeenthusiast

brokeenthusiast is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I had a question about a GPS that I have. I bought the Garmin Nuvi 270 and love it. I have only had one problem and I found that when I was driving from outside Atlanta, GA back to Knoxville, TN. I had never driven from my friends house back to Knoxville before and followed the GPS directions. I was then taken on a series of winding highways in the mountains and back roads until I arrived back at my destination. Later I asked my friend the directions he uses which are a lot more simple and would have gotten me back faster. He recommended that I take I-285 to I-75 and take that straight to Knoxville.

Now I have tried switching the settings from "Shorter Distance" and "Less Time" with no avail, it still takes me that way. I was wondering if there was a way to change the route any, and save if so if I give my GPS to another friend he can follow that same route and not have the GPS tell him/her to go on these scary back roads in bad parts of town. I know I can drive it and let the GPS recalculate that way...but I would rather be able to change it.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i know that if you do not follow the directions, if will recalculate the directions. if you continue to go straight after it tells you to turn, it will eventually recalculate a new route in the direction you are going, but you have to listen to it say make a u-turn several times. i have nuvi 200 x2 and our friends have a nuvi 750. it seems that they each do that.

PS - i should have read your whole post. sorry. once i learn a route i stop using the gps to tell me how to get there.

QUOTE Thanks
brokeenthusiast

brokeenthusiast is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I know the route to take now (to keep it to interstate driving instead of weird mountain backroads) but if I were to give the GPS to my girlfriend or someone then they wouldnt know... Please let me know if you come across any information on this. I am still looking
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Samsung vs. Sony TV Volume Control | My story with Applecare and my Apple Store »