New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Shocked at Apple selling second hand goods.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeotley

joeotley is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new to the forum, wasn't sure where to post this!

Basically, my girlfriend bought a BRAND NEW black Macbook from the Apple Shop in Manchester Arndale on the 4th of March last year. After we got it home, I was messing about on it, checking out all the apps etc.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that she was using iPhoto, and there wa sa system folder within it called 'originals'.

Inside this folder are hundreds of photo's of a group of schoolgirls, dated from the year 2004.

We went in to complain at the shop, and they just said it was impossible, as it was a huge breach of policy.

She's tried ringing Apple but they just say the same, they all seem to reject the every notion of it.

Frankly I'm dismayed that Apple have sold her a second hand laptop/hard drive, sold as a brand new product.

Anyone got any ideas where she should take it from here?

Cheers!

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

so this happened almost a year ago?

at this point, i would think it's unlikley anything will be done.

at the time it happened, i would have brought the machine back to them and showed them the date of the files and my receipt so they could see i couldn't hae possibly added the pictures and demanded them take it back for a new one.

also, when she first started the computer did she have to go through the normal set up steps / get the welcome video and all that? if she didn't it was used for sure.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Aside from what Eric asked, when she got the MacBook, was it covered in the plastic protective covering and everything otherwise packaged like any other new MacBook is? If it was, then I find it incredulous that it was repackaged. How could anyone possibly re-apply all that plastic protective sheeting that adheres to the outside of these things until removed?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
joeotley

Yep, all questions I threw at her too!

Good point about the plastic wrapping - didn't think of that!

She argues that it could have been a used hard drive placed into a new machine, but as you point out, the set up process at the beginning wouldn't happen if it wasn't brand new.

I'm pretty sure at this stage that she must have imported them by accident off somebody's hard drive, probably when she was moving stuff off her old laptop or something. Cheers for the quick replies by the way!

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

It could also be a 3rd party program's stock images. Aperture for example includes a few albums of stock images so you can try out features before importing your own pictures.

If iPhoto scanned her harddrive for images, it might find some stock images as well...
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
It could also be a 3rd party program's stock images. Aperture for example includes a few albums of stock images so you can try out features before importing your own pictures.

If iPhoto scanned her harddrive for images, it might find some stock images as well...
LOL if that is the actual reason.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
joeotley

No, definitely not stock photo's...literally hundreds of some schoolgirl's snaps...school trips etc.

Very weird, we have no idea who any of the people in the photo's are!
QUOTE Thanks
MacGnG

MacGnG is on a distinguished road

i just purchased a macbook black NOT from apple, as the apple store is only selling refurbished versions. i am thinking that you bought a refurbished mac that was incorrectly labeled as new.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I would scan the receipt and take a screen capture of the of importing the pictures and email that to apple.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

It's a little late to be looking for any recourse. You should have dealt with this immediately after purchasing the machine, not almost a year after.
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Thats really weird, but I doubt you will get anything back from Apple at this point.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think most of you guys missed this:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure at this stage that she must have imported them by accident off somebody's hard drive, probably when she was moving stuff off her old laptop or something. Cheers for the quick replies by the way!

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

The pictures were dated from 2004? The MacBook's were introduced in 2006
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gmail question | Wireless Networking - Base Station »