New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Obama's Train Ride and Inauguration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Lump

The Lump is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: TiBook - 800MHz/1gb/30gb/combo/500gb external

in a way i suppose i envy you people. having such a wonderful perspective on things while never seeing what lurks in the background.

yes, ignorance is bliss, and in some ways, i wish i was one of the ignorant masses.

instead, i'm a well educated man, computers to automotive to construction and beyond, wish a deep understanding of what really makes this country tick rather than being part of the myspace generation that thinks there is no life beyond cell phones, branjelina, and starbucks.

instead of hailing obama as the new best thing, just cause he's the first black president and is coming in with promises, how about waiting a couple years to see if he's even making good before we start issuing commemorative coins and the like. i dont know about you, but if he turns out worse than bush i sure wouldnt wanna be known as someone that supported him and bought crap like commemorative coins....
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

you just seem to really see things as black or white. one has to be well educated or one has to be part of the unwashed masses... it's just very narrow thinking. being cynical does not automatically mean having some grand perspective. sometimes it means being blind to the gray areas, the good things in life, and possibilities.

i'm not wealthy by any stretch, life hasn't been easy, but not incredibly hard, and i learned a long time ago that most of my negative feelings came from within myself (and from clinical depression).

what does crushing cynicism get you?
what does a lack of hope do for you?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

The Lump-

Just because our country isn't perfect doesn't mean everything is going to suck.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Español. Oui, je parle français. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I am listening to some young black kid on radio 4 talk about Obama

He seems full of hope and now believes that young kids like him can aspire to become leaders, at least a better role model then your average rap artist, all talk about money, *****es and hating cops

I know I am not American, but I really believe that Obama is an intelligent guy, no egotist and cannot possibly do as bad as that frat boy Bush and his friends

OK, we'll all wait and see, but I hope he can do a good job, not least because I don't want to see the whole world economy getting even worse and finding myself on the street

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lump View Post
here's a thought, he's just another president. destined be another screwup.

anyone else tired of hearing the constant newsfeeds about him?
I agree. It's like the news story that won't go away. The press is so in love with him it's pathetic.

As for him being a screwup, well, everyone gets a chance. As I recall Reagan got the same reception when he was inaugurated. In fact, this reminds me a lot of his 1981 inauguration as far as peoples optimism goes. I'm optimistic about him and the publics support is his lose at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I am listening to some young black kid on radio 4 talk about Obama

He seems full of hope and now believes that young kids like him can aspire to become leaders, at least a better role model then your average rap artist, all talk about money, *****es and hating cops

I know I am not American, but I really believe that Obama is an intelligent guy, no egotist and cannot possibly do as bad as that frat boy Bush and his friends

OK, we'll all wait and see, but I hope he can do a good job, not least because I don't want to see the whole world economy getting even worse and finding myself on the street

He already proved to be an egotist during the campaign and it is likely to rear it's head again. He's going to bump heads with Congress since they are a bunch of egotists, especially the leadership. The world economy is going to get worse for the next several years no matter what Obama does. There is no quick fix or quick turn around. We'll see what happens in the next 4 years, as I said, public support is his to lose.

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Don't blame me...

I voted for Kodos.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

good thing then that i have a wooden board with a nail in it.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I wish him well. For my part, I'm going to pay closer attention to the House and Senate and be more diligent with my mid term votes. IMHO, our elected Legislators have more to do with what happens next than the President. I'm glad he was elected so we can get past the first black President thing and vote for who does the job best (or at least who promises to be all things to everyone) -vs- what demographic they are perceived as being. That said, let's get started on that wall along the US-Mexican border.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
eric

wall?

how about more bridges and resident worker cards?

QUOTE Thanks
The Lump

The Lump is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: TiBook - 800MHz/1gb/30gb/combo/500gb external

LOL thats funny eric
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
wall?

how about more bridges and resident worker cards?
Nah, enough folks here as it is. They can stay and fix Mexico, then maybe we will all want to go there?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

It's kind of disappointing that he is always referred to as our first black president when he is in fact a biracial american, who happened to be raised entirely by his white mother and white grandparents. I personally think its reverse racism the way the media and half of America have jumped on the race wagon.

But then things tend to be a little different for my generation. I grew up going to school and being friends with people of all races, and it was just part of normal life. We never experienced the days of segregation and therefore I don't identify with such movements. People ought to be judged by their character and credentials, not their color, but I guess that didn't hold true in the last election.

I do think its ridiculous how much this inauguration is costing the taxpayers, and I have a big problem paying for it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Nah, enough folks here as it is. They can stay and fix Mexico, then maybe we will all want to go there?
Not surprisingly, with the economic downturn the flow has mostly changed directions. There are actually more going back than there are coming. If this keeps up we'll have a negative gain in a few years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techster82 View Post
IPeople ought to be judged by their character and credentials, not their color, but I guess that didn't hold true in the last election.
Her is an interesting anecdote to illustrate this. I spent 2 weeks in Atlanta on business in December. Whenever I went to a restaurant that was black owned or black operated (this goes for convenience stores as well) they all had a picture of the The Brother Elect with the words "The President of the United States" beneath him and a halo over his head. I'm not even kidding. Those things were all over the city.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Haha, the Brother Elect. That's clever.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Haha, the Brother Elect. That's clever.
Soon to be "The First Brother".

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« finalized my Leopard/XP setup and thought i would share | Gmail question »