New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Buying A Home

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Is it a bad idea to buy a home in an area that has a bunch of foreclosures? On the one hand you can usually get a good deal on a home in that kind of area but on the other it can be kind of creepy to see the entire area with for sale signs up.

Good or bad?
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I don't know much about homes and all that since I'm only 19, but with this economy and the foreclosures, it would seem the right time to get your dream home or close to it. That is if you can afford the cost of the payments and everything then I think it is wise. But I have to agree you part of what makes a house into a home is the neighborhood, nothing is more creepy than empty houses.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Is it a bad idea to buy a home in an area that has a bunch of foreclosures? On the one hand you can usually get a good deal on a home in that kind of area but on the other it can be kind of creepy to see the entire area with for sale signs up.

Good or bad?
It's a great time to buy a home. Although property values are still plummeting, it is definitely a buyer's market.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It's a great time to buy a home. Although property values are still plummeting, it is definitely a buyer's market.
exactly, there dirt cheap so nows the time to buy.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears34 View Post
exactly, there dirt cheap so nows the time to buy.

Seeing as you have the finances to pay the mortgage if necessary.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

I figured it was a great time to buy since property value is going down but is there anything that may happen to the neighborhood if the other homes never sell? I mean there is no risk of a redevelopment type thing is there?
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

If the homes do not sell around you that means a lower price on your home, and for as redevelopment goes I do not know, I kinda doubt it in this type of market.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

It's really impossible to say without know the details of the home and community. In this economy there's lots of people losing their homes in all kinds of communities. Buying a home is a serious and expensive purchase. If you haven't already, do some reading up on it because there is much to know and consider. I imagine there's people already publishing books about buying home specific to the current situation.

What I do know if that if I were in a position to buy a home and confident I would be there at least a few years (should be a factor regardless) I would definitely be home shopping. Maybe in a few years from and I just have to hope the prices don't bounce back too much.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Arustik1

Arustik1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.2GHz 160GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnerants View Post
I don't know much about homes and all that since I'm only 19, but with this economy and the foreclosures, it would seem the right time to get your dream home or close to it. That is if you can afford the cost of the payments and everything then I think it is wise. But I have to agree you part of what makes a house into a home is the neighborhood, nothing is more creepy than empty houses.

+1 on buying the home you want...seems like innna few years economy is gonna bounce back up which will cause home prices to skyrocket.

Get what you want now!
QUOTE Thanks
Arustik1

Arustik1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.2GHz 160GB

If there are a lotta foreclosures in the area...id suggest offering a lowww lowww price.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Do you want to live in that area?
Good local Schools, Doctors, shopping?
Does the house have the floor plan you prefer ~ Indoor out door flow ~ view from the living area windows ~ Too much or too little garden / yard area.
Age of plumbing, electrical work, roof and foundations ~ any need replacing?
Can you fix, broken windows, locks, leaks etc. How about wallpapering and painting?
Is good internet access available in the area?
OK that quick and incomplete list is after a life time of owning houses
All the best whatever you decide.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Got an anniversary present... | What Home Sound System Do You Use? Suggestion For Bedroom Upgrade »