New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Any one collect knives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Every State in the USA is different. The Federal Laws in the USA pertain mainly shipping of the automatics and not possession. Here is a link with some basic State laws on the topic. Canada doesn't like autos or Bali's for the most part (or at least shipment of them from the USA).

State Knife Carry and Blade Length Laws

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I have a Kershaw Ken Onion. Straight blade. I used to have a Gerber Paraframe II, that was serrated. For the few times that I'd use the serrated part, I found it not worth it. If you keep the blade sharp, then you shouldn't have much trouble with a straight blade.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Ahh cool..

What I really want (apart from the LST), is something a bit smaller that I can fit into my pocket when I go out. Sometimes it can be a little unsafe when I take a trip downtown after dark. I've had to deal with too many jerks (ending up in shoving matches) because I won't give them a cigarette or the crack heads that lurk down there. Especially when my girl is with me. She's a lover, not a fighter.

Any recommendations? I've seen some cool pieces in the "what's in your pocket" thread.

Feel free to chime in
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I'd recommend avoiding those places personally. If it's that bad don't go there. If you can't avoid them, then remember to never bring a knife to a gun fight. If it's not worth killing over, then it's not worth fighting over to begin with. And if it is worth fighting over, fight as best you can. With the best tool you can - a gun.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
appleisgreat

appleisgreat is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I'd recommend avoiding those places personally. If it's that bad don't go there. If you can't avoid them, then remember to never bring a knife to a gun fight. If it's not worth killing over, then it's not worth fighting over to begin with. And if it is worth fighting over, fight as best you can. With the best tool you can - a gun.
Well said. These days a knife isn't really a good form of personal protection, especially a small pocket knife. Personally I do not think I would pull a knife in a fight unless I was on my back and used it as a last resort. I don't know the laws regrading a concealed pistol in Canada, but if downtown is that bad, you may consider looking into it.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisgreat View Post
Well said. These days a knife isn't really a good form of personal protection, especially a small pocket knife. Personally I do not think I would pull a knife in a fight unless I was on my back and used it as a last resort. I don't know the laws regrading a concealed pistol in Canada, but if downtown is that bad, you may consider looking into it.
Well yeah, I mean.. I try to avoid fighting as much as possible, and downtown isn't really avoidable.. Just people here are... Weird... I would obviously never pull a knife right away, it'd be a last-resort thing, like you said. I could even walk downtown during broad daylight and get harassed by people.

I like camping too, and have gone so many times without a knife when it would've been greatly useful.

In regards to owning a gun in Canada, the laws are insane.. You have to get a gun license, and when it's not in use it has to have a trigger lock AND be locked in a safe, as far as I'm aware, I'd have to look into it more. I really was looking into getting a 357 Magnum, I just love the way that thing looks. Target shooting is fun too. I'm not a diehard "gun redneck," I just enjoy shooting. I was in the Air Cadets when I was younger, and we used to shoot in the range often. My dad was also in the military where I've held/fired some pretty cool firearms.

EDIT: Just dug this up, as you can see, it's a pretty extensive process to own a gun in Canada.

http://www.eohc.ca/licences.html
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

This is the one I have. I just found the model number on the bottom of the blade.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
appleisgreat

appleisgreat is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
This is the one I have. I just found the model number on the bottom of the blade.
I used to have a knife very similar to that, I bought it at Advance Auto Parts. I think you said earlier you got it from an auto parts store so I wouldn't doubt if it was the same exact knife (or very similar). I lost it a LONG while ago...
QUOTE Thanks
MacintoshMaster

MacintoshMaster can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron

What would you use a knife for?
QUOTE Thanks
TinyEric

TinyEric is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, iSight, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacintoshMaster View Post
What would you use a knife for?
For cutting things!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyEric View Post
For cutting things!
obvious answer to that question

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
TinyEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
obvious answer to that question
I did have to read it a few times before answering it in case I missed something!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Would have been my response!

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MacintoshMaster

MacintoshMaster can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I ment cutting what?
QUOTE Thanks
TinyEric

Whatever needs cutting. Wood or kindling for fires, ropes or cord, used when camping etc... Gutting and skinning when hunting or fishing... Very useful items.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The continue the song game! | Best quote... ever »