New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Macworld, a win or a fail?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

I personally liked iLife '09, iWork '09 and the new battery solution for the Macbook Pro but that's about it. I couldn't care less about the iTunes store because I don't use it. I think a 17'' notebook is too big. 15'' max but I prefer the Macbooks because they're so much more compact. I was pretty disappointed that there was no iMac, Mac mini or Mac Pro updates because I wanted to see the iMac move to Quad-core. I think it's time for the Macline to see Quad-Core because people want more power. It may be too much heat for laptops right now but it'd be fine for the iMacs. I guess I can throw away the hope of it coming to the Macbook this year.

I want more power but in a smaller 13 inch laptop and I want a lot less heat. When will this be possible because I'm getting tired of waiting. I'm glad to know they're extending the battery life of the 17in Macbook Pro but I wanted them to change to Silver-Zinc battery technology. There is less chance of fatal chemical reactions with Silver-Zinc techonolgy. Hopefully they bring that battery option to the Macbook sometime this year because I need a new laptop with better features.

I think there were just so many rumors that many people were overhyped about Macworld. I'm just wondering when the Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro will be updated now. It's been almost 2 years since the mini has been updated. What I want by the 2nd refresh of the Macbook is: extended battery life / new battery solution, 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo processor / 2.0 Quad-Core processor and cheaper and faster SSDs. If they don't come by October then I guess I'll have to settle for what's currently available. The last Macworld for Apple wasn't that great though.
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

Personally i was disappointed... I felt there were too many rumors and that the news of Steve sort of killed it. i DO NOT see how macworld can be macworld with out..Mac!! anyone else feel this way?

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I'm not sure if I'm happier about the DRM free announcement or the higher bitrate.. and I don't buy much from iTunes at all

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I would call it a solid WIN! You may not use the iTune store yourself, but the announcement that all music would go DRM-free is a HUGE and long-desired acknowledgement by the music cartel that DRM sucks... it's overly restrictive... it does NOT deter piracy.... and just needed to go. Now that it will be gone, I may actually start buying from there much more often.

That aside... the "disappointment" over the relatively sparse news from Apple at MacWorld is precisely the reason Apple will no longer be there. All these unfounded rumors float about that get people hyped over what Apple has to reveal only hurts Apple when they fail to support those unfounded rumors. Also... Apple prefers to announce products at their pace and leisure when the products are ready. By tying announcements to MacWorld, they are tying themselves to someone else's schedule. Good riddance to that.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb94 View Post
Personally i was disappointed... I felt there were too many rumors and that the news of Steve sort of killed it. i DO NOT see how macworld can be macworld with out..Mac!! anyone else feel this way?
I completely agree! i was really hoping for a Mac Mini refresh, and Snow Leopard.... (maybe iPhone nano?... ) But I do like iWork '09 and the look of iLife '09.. and DRM free music is ok, I guess now I don't have to burn it onto a CD and reimport the music I wanted to be DRM free... But it seems like $.33 for to upgrade is a bit steep..

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

I was sort of expecting a Mac Mini update, however I'd never buy one so it doesn't matter.

I do feel that they were cheated (well thats a bit harsh really) announcing iLife and iWork as two of the 'main' updates.

New 17" MBP looks really nice. It is big for a notebook to carry around constantly but it'd be a good desktop replacement.

Wonder when the Mac Pro will move to the i7 platform and have a newer graphics card though. That's what I'm more interested in.
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterpolo820 View Post
I completely agree! i was really hoping for a Mac Mini refresh, and Snow Leopard.... (maybe iPhone nano?... ) But I do like iWork '09 and the look of iLife '09.. and DRM free music is ok, I guess now I don't have to burn it onto a CD and reimport the music I wanted to be DRM free... But it seems like $.33 for to upgrade is a bit steep..
YEah, i picked up both yesterday, Very nice! yeah the DRM should be free.... I think the Iphone shuffle would be cooler, See What Happens When You Assume, iPhone Nano Forgers,
I was hoping for the mac mini, something so blow my last xmas dollars on, lol, but instead i got Lego mindstorms nxt, lol

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

MacWorld happened already? I didn't notice.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Also... Apple prefers to announce products at their pace and leisure when the products are ready.
I don't see that at all. It may be where they're going, but it definitely isn't where they've been.

The 'one other thing' announcement is virtually a trademark.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Look at all of the product launches done in the past couple of years. It definitely looks as though Apple is switching to a format where they have smaller venues to launch products when they please rather than getting everybody riled up during one big show with a set deadline.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New 24" screen | The Macintosh Lounge »