Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   Don't buy into those FinallyFast.com commercials. (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/136160-dont-buy-into-those-finallyfast-com-commercials.html)

TheCustomer99 01-07-2009 05:28 AM

Don't buy into those FinallyFast.com commercials.

I guess I'm obliged to say, "I know I haven't been here in a while, and it's nice to post again," but now lets get to what I want to talk about.

So I just saw a commercial for this FinallyFast.com thing and it made my inner skeptic spring into action. I did a quick search of the forum and noticed that nobody had posted anything about them, so I figured I'd post. I checked them out and apparently it is a total scam that scans your computer and finds imaginary viruses, malware, and spyware and then prompts you to buy their product to "fix" a problem that never even existed in the first place. According to some of the sites I checked, the scanning program itself IS adware. Now, I know most of us here are Mac users and will never need to worry about our computers slowing down ;), but there are probably some Windows users here that might try something like FinallyFast.com. In the end, if you're fed up with a slow PC, don't buy into these scams, clean your PC the old fashioned way or, you know, get a Mac.

As a side note: Many of the computers in the commercial are Macs with the Apple logo covered and XP superimposed on the screen. I laughed pretty hard when one of the horrendously poor actors in the commercial got the blue screen of death on a Macbook.

Kash 01-07-2009 05:46 AM

Ahh, but you missed their MacTuneUp, available for only $29.99 ;P

dtravis7 01-07-2009 05:47 AM

I figured it was a scam. I saw the commercial one to many times last night and went there, I watched it scan my OSX for DLL's and Virus's. I was sort of depressed due to the flu and it made me laugh out loud.

Do remember one thing though, with Intel Macs, you can boot into Windows and it would look the same as Windows on PC hardware. So that Blue Screen really could have been on that Mac although I think the whole thing is fake like you said.

TheCustomer99 01-07-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kash (Post 783358)
Ahh, but you missed their MacTuneUp, available for only $29.99 ;P

That's funny especially considering that OnyX is free and does everything that claims to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 783357)
Do remember one thing though, with Intel Macs, you can boot into Windows and it would look the same as Windows on PC hardware. So that Blue Screen really could have been on that Mac although I think the whole thing is fake like you said.

Yeah I know, but I think the commercial was using Macs as generic PCs. Perhaps to avoid dragging any real PC makers' names through the dirt when the class action suit is (hopefully) filed against the website.

dtravis7 01-07-2009 06:10 AM

Agreed completely.

Oh and CWA, I will keep my $29 thank you! :D