New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

MacBook - How much did YOU pay for applecare? Share with everyone!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kennyleejx

kennyleejx is an unknown at this point

Hi guys,

I realize that there's lots of people asking about applecare, and newbies like me have no idea what's considered a good deal on applecare.

So.... I wondered if this is possible: for those of you who did buy applecare, via ebay, amazon, or any place, how much did you pay for it?

I'd love to see what's the rough prices everyone is paying, and I'm sure others like me would too. Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

... I just picked up the Applecare while I was in-line to the pay for my MacBook ...

So with my Education discount I paid $218 CAD for Applecare.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Whatever the education discount amount was for a Macbook.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I got mine for free (MacBook / iBook version) so it's still up for grabs if anybody wants to make me an offer
QUOTE Thanks
jamin100

jamin100 is on a distinguished road

£63
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

how about £100

(seriously)
QUOTE Thanks
Luminosity

Luminosity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD

The guy at the apple store gave me a free college discount, even though Im not currently enrolled in any. Very nice guy.
QUOTE Thanks
garryh69

garryh69 is on a distinguished road

i paid £70 gbp. ebay, box was a little tatty but who needs a box?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Got my MacBook Applecare on ebay for $143. Used the 10% off coupon ebay offered everyone in November. Also used that goofy Microsoft Live 30% rebate that was a pain in the butt to figure out.

$143
-10%
-30% (if I ever actually get the rebate from Microsoft)
----------
MacBook Applecare for $86!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

I paid $183 for it back in April '08.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

I paid whatever the US student discount was.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I paid $200 for my MBP's Applecare when I bought it in Nov. '06. I think it costs about $350 now, even though the computer is still the same price.

Does that mean the Macs are breaking down more/sooner do they need to make up for it with a higher pricetag, or are they just trying to make more money?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I paid $200 for my MBP's Applecare when I bought it in Nov. '06. I think it costs about $350 now, even though the computer is still the same price.

Does that mean the Macs are breaking down more/sooner do they need to make up for it with a higher pricetag, or are they just trying to make more money?
No clue, but that $350 is a little hard to swallow for insurance - more than 1/5 of the price of the machine. I'm thinking I'll take my chances, although the deadline is approaching...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kennyleejx

kennyleejx is an unknown at this point

What's the Microsoft 30% rebate all about? Never heard about that before.
QUOTE Thanks
trapzilla2002

trapzilla2002 is on a distinguished road

I got mine with a college discount from the Apple store (I am enrolled in one college course). I did not even think about looking on Amazon. I looked on eBay and CraigsList but I am kind of suspicious about it as it is not a physical thing. What would I do, bring my $1800 laptop some place and have to get WiFi and put it in as they are waiting there? Too complicated for my liking.

YOU SHOULD GET APPLECARE NO MATTER WHAT! IT IS WORTH IT. I bought a MacBook Air. Yeah it is small and thin and all, but if something happens and I need to get service, it is going to cost me WAY more than $250. Let's face it, within 3 years, SOMETHING is going to happen to it and it will surely cost more than $250. Just to open it up is probably $400!

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get it. Period.

My $0.02

A Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This takes gall! | iTunes Gift Cards »