New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Going to Europe, what to do about cell phone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seanje

seanje is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB

I'm with ATT, and have a Blackberry Curve 8310 which to my knowledge is a quadband phone. I will be heading to the Czech Republic and Germany over the holidays. I could use ATT's international calling plan which is $6.00/month + $0.99/min, but do I have any other options? I have heard some things about prepaid SIM cards, is this the way to go?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

Assuming the phone is not carrier locked you could buy a prepay sim over there for about 5 - 10 euros and then you charge the sim with the amount of credit you want.

Its really simple to do, as long as your phone isn't locked.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Even if the phone is locked you can contact ATT and ask them for the unlock code since you are going to be traveling internationally and wish to use a prepaid sim card.

Search google a bit as this is pretty common.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I would definitely recommend unlocking the phone and buying prepaid cards once you get to Europe. It's MUCH cheaper than using AT&T's international plan.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, there are some really cheap pay-as-you-go options available here in Germany: Simyo is pretty good...
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

seanje is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Yeah, there are some really cheap pay-as-you-go options available here in Germany: Simyo is pretty good...
Would I be still be able to use that card in Prague as well? Or will I need another SIM for the Czech Republic?
QUOTE Thanks
jhawk2

jhawk2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"

CZ!! My cousins are missionaries over there!! Yeah. Get pre-paid.

Don't write a check with your mouth your butt can't cash!
QUOTE Thanks
MarkY

MarkY will become famous soon enough

You should be able to use the same SIM in Germany and the Czech Republic. Prague is a wild *** town, my wife and I were just there a year ago.
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

You can use the cards but unless they are the same carrier you will get screwed on the roaming rates, its easy and cheaper just to get separate simcards.

To give you an Idea a shop round the corner from my office sells Orange prepay sims with £5 of credit for £1.
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

Go with pre-paid sims for sure... The past three summers I have gone to Europe for a month at a time, and the first time I decided to go with AT&T's plan, and with a smart phone I forgot to turn off data, and the bill was huge! (~$800) Second and third time I just called T-mobile (switched carriers) and they sent me the unlock codes for each one of my phones, bought a sim card in every country I went to and was extremely happy. I even had full service in a pretty deserted part of the Swiss Alps!! (idk, just like sharing that)

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Post your mac deals | Att or Tmobile »