New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Which blank DVD to get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cubby

cubby is on a distinguished road

I just bought (last night) 16X Memorex DVD-R blank DVDS in hopes to burn some movies I purchase off iTunes; however, the DVD keeps spitting back out at me. I read on the web it's because of the speed (16X) and I should purchase lower ones. Any solution to this?

As for specs, here they are:

I tried to search the forums, but no luck. Plus I'm going to Best Buy really soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated ASAP (as in which blank DVD should I buy?). Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Imation, Ricoh (if available), Fuji, TDK, in that order.
QUOTE Thanks
cubby

Any specific details for them? Like speed or so and so?

Thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubby View Post
Any specific details for them? Like speed or so and so?
I haven't got any Imation or Ricoh disks left, but I do have a couple of Verbatim +R DL which are 2.4x. For single layer dvd's you could go up to 8x. I think the 16x is too much, but then I'm a great believer in the old saying "slower is better". It certainly applies to recording music to cds and dvds.

So why don't you just buy, in the meantime anyway, some single dvdisks of differing brands and specs, rather than packs? Yes, I know, it's not the cheapest way to go but then you can at least sort out which disks will do the job properly.
QUOTE Thanks
cubby

Good idea. I'll try that. I appreciate it for the brand names, etc.

Is it my Mac itself, though? Like, judging by the specs I am able to burn DVDs.
QUOTE Thanks
Scribs20

Scribs20 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Core due Macbook white, 32GB iPod Touch

I've never had a problem using the Verbatum 8x with my mac. hope that works for you

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I use TDK exclusively and have always had good results. My one recommendation is that if you intend to use the resulting disc in a DVD player, be sure to knock the write speed down to 4x or less. This can be done in most authoring applications (Toast, included), but I'm not sure if it's possible with iTunes itself.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubby View Post
Is it my Mac itself, though? Like, judging by the specs I am able to burn DVDs.
For sure, right up to +R-DL.

Take on board cwa's advice about setting the burn speed yourself. I've never used iTunes to burn, nor have I used the MacOS/Disk Utility capacity for disk burning. Toast is my preferred burning application, but there are others which may allow setting of low burn speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
cubby

I went to Best Buy and Target. I was disappointed in Best Buy's selection, so I headed to Target. I was surprised at how much more expensive the DVDs were at Target, but selected the Imation DVD+R 16x (they didn't have anything below 16x) and I wasn't liking the 4 DVD pack selections. Looks like it's working as it's burning Into The Wild off iTunes right now. I'll let you guys know if I have anymore problems.

Will the imation DVD+R 16x be able to play in a DVD player? Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Verbatim and Phillips. Here is a l ink to Apple news on media ghetting stuck in IOn tel iMacs etc as some discs are too thick and some too thin:-

discs getting stuck in new intel imac - Mac - Apple
QUOTE Thanks
cubby

I seem to have the worst luck. Any solutions guys? It's a movie purchased off iTunes. I don't know what to do now, hah. No idea what a medium write error is. Or can you not burn movies purchased off iTunes because of piracy/etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Scribs20

Scribs20 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Core due Macbook white, 32GB iPod Touch

i didnt think you could burn movies off of itunes. but i could be wrong.

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain!
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribs20 View Post
i didnt think you could burn movies off of itunes. but i could be wrong.
You can't. At least not ones purchased from iTunes.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

Happy Imation customer here.... I also use TDK on occasion.

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

So, as silly and noobish as it sounds, can't you just adjust the burn speed?

I mean, I didn't think it mattered what speed the media was rated for as long as the burn speed didn't exceed that.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Looking Apple Products | Should Macs Be Made in USA? »