New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Mac sales at Best Buy are...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

...a Joke. I was in there last night trying to snag a Wii for my Girlfriend and while I was in there I swung by the Mac display to see the new Macbook and MB Pro. This guy was trying to sell a guy who needed Windows as well, and he told him the "only" way it can be done is by using Parallels or VMWare, and he would need to buy one of theses, and a copy of Windows. I looked up from the Macbook and said, "No you can run it in Bootcamp without a Virtual Machine Appliance program." The guy actually had NO idea what I was talking about. Then the guy told him he needed to buy Office For Mac instead of using a copy that he already had for Windows. Sigh, bad idea having these yahoos at Best Buy sell Macs.

On a side note, the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros are very nice. The trackpad takes a second to get used to but once you do it's amazing. They seemed to move pretty quickly too! I had two older Macbooks to compare them with and other than the lack of FW they destroy the older MB by comparison. FW missing would keep me from buying it for myself, but wouldn't stop me from getting it for my girlfriend.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Well, honestly - it's Best Buy, not an Apple Store. It's hard to find savvy, well-trained and knowledgeable clerks to work for just a few bucks over minimum wage. The quality of your people is usually commensurate with your investment in them. Still, pretty interesting. It's hard to keep my mouth shut when I walk through these kinds of stores and overhear conversations like this. I've been asked to leave a number of stores because of my butting in

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Well, honestly - it's Best Buy, not an Apple Store. It's hard to find savvy, well-trained and knowledgeable clerks to work for just a few bucks over minimum wage. The quality of your people is usually commensurate with your investment in them. Still, pretty interesting. It's hard to keep my mouth shut when I walk through these kinds of stores and overhear conversations like this. I've been asked to leave a number of stores because of my butting in

Lol, you and I are very much the same then These guys guys are supposedly Apple "reps" that go from Best Buy to Best Buy. This guy knew NOTHING. Oh yeah I got a ROFLMAYO out the price of a 4 GB memory upgrade there too, $199.99, hahaha, it's 44 dollars for CRUCIAL or OCZ at newegg right now! DDR2 prices have TANKED since DDR3 equipped machines and the new Core i7 hit.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

It's sad isn't it Erik?
I remember going to a Best Buy here in Florida and I don't know how your Best Buy is set up, but the one down here has 3 rows of Doz laptops and in the back left hand corner is their "Apple Products". There was only a BlackBook and MacBook Air and a few iPod accessories and that was IT for Apple products. However there were a couple of people actually looking at the Black Macbook and I told them how great the MacBook is....How it has a dual core processor, is lightweight and durable, and will remain the same speed for years to come. Of course the Best Buy sales associate didn't like that too much as he approached me and said it was his job to assist customers. I asked him why he was letting 5 people just stand there and look at the laptop then. He shrugged and said that "They didn't have any questions." I told him where to go.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

I once got kicked out of a Radio Shack for telling an elderly couple who were buying a computer for their grandchild that the Compaq they were looking at was way overpriced and was absolute garbage, while the sales person was doing his pitch.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Our Best Buy seems to be the exception. A few of the salesmen have switched over to Mac just from playing with it. Mac has a separate section all by itself, well lit and a fairly informed crew. They do not have as much knowledge as an Apple would have but they seem to be doing a good Mac business.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
I once got kicked out of a Radio Shack for telling an elderly couple who were buying a computer for their grandchild that the Compaq they were looking at was way overpriced and was absolute garbage, while the sales person was doing his pitch.
Thought I was the only one that did that.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
I have done that many times at Frys. Amazing how some so called Salespeople will lie or just do not know what they are talking about. The typical customer does not know better. I have many times butted in and told the customer the truth. Got some dirty looks but so far never told to leave!

The Best Buy here has a Mac section. The dood is supposed to be hired by Apple but he seemed sort of cocky to me. I guess he was not happy I already have the Macs I need and was not going to purchase one from him!
QUOTE Thanks
jhawk2

jhawk2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"

The Best Buy here is very nice! The guy there actually had a bit of apple knowledge stretching as far back as my iBook! Lol
QUOTE Thanks
jhawk2

jhawk2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"

Have you guys ever had it when you ask if they have something specific (something they obviously don't know about) and they say YOU are mistaken and that there is no such thing? You then find it for yourself and show them.......
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Got some dirty looks but so far never told to leave!
Me either, but I typically wait until the salesperson is away or am a bit more conscientious about being insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The dood is supposed to be hired by Apple but he seemed sort of cocky to me.
Funny, because to me the cockiness would've help confirm it, not deny it.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

I guess I can't fault the guy too much, I could run circles around any of they're Windows PC sales guy's too. When your dad was a top notch Honeywell Mainframe programmer for GEisco, you kinda have computers around you from birth, lol. Trying to pry my dad away from Windows is like trying to take a three-year-old's security blanket away. He knows Unix, insanely well, writes all his own programs in Perl, and writes C++ in his sleep, but he is scared of a Mac, go figure.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJenkins1187 View Post
I guess I can't fault the guy too much, I could run circles around any of they're Windows PC sales guy's too. When your dad was a top notch Honeywell Mainframe programmer for GEisco, you kinda have computers around you from birth, lol. Trying to pry my dad away from Windows is like trying to take a three-year-old's security blanket away. He knows Unix, insanely well, writes all his own programs in Perl, and writes C++ in his sleep, but he is scared of a Mac, go figure.
Tell him it runs BSD and I'll bet he changes his mind.

QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJenkins1187 View Post
He knows Unix, insanely well, writes all his own programs in Perl, and writes C++ in his sleep, but he is scared of a Mac, go figure.
Doesn't he know OSX is just a pretty UI slapped over a Unix-like OS?

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

Yeah he does, he doesn't want to let his Flight Simulator go hahahaha! Or any of his other games for that matter, my dad is more hardcore gamer than some of my 20-30YO friends are. All he does is ***** about virus protection hogging up all the system resources, etc etc. Some of the stuff he can do in terminal on my Mac blows me away, he likes the fact that OS X uses real Unix commands and not different versions that Linux use.

Back when the nasty Windows ME viruses were going around, I had one that I couldn't get off the machine. He walked me through rebuilding registry keys it had infected to get rid of it and it worked, good guy to know in that situation. It happened AGAIN and he said "Dump it and get XP, M$ is gonna abandon it soon", sure enough, they did.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Really Awesome Threads That Die | the twelve questions of christmas. »