New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

how are you geared up for the digital switch in feb 2009?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

thought this might be an interesting topic...

i've got a couple issues for sure. while my main television is a newer HD LCD (no to mention connected to a comcast dvr), i've got a couple dinosaurs; two old tube tvs connected straight to the cable.

my plan is to add a couple cable boxes to act as converters, but for one of them (bedroom) i was considering just getting a small LCD, maybe 17".

anyone in minnesota want a nine year old 27" sony trinitron (standard def tube), cheap?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
docinsano

docinsano will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram

I'm probably going to get cable over the winter. I still got the good ol Tube TV, so it's either the box or cable.

Dr. Insano, PhD
Click, if you dare...
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

I'm geared up by me still not watching TV.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
i've got a couple dinosaurs; two old tube tvs connected straight to the cable.

my plan is to add a couple cable boxes to act as converters, but for one of them (bedroom) i was considering just getting a small LCD, maybe 17".

anyone in minnesota want a nine year old 27" sony trinitron (standard def tube), cheap?
If you already have cable TV for every set, then you won't need any converters.
Your TV set doesn't need to be "digital".

I can see numerous people buying converters and boxes and whatnot that they don't need. It makes no difference if the TV set is a CRT or an LCD. If you can already view cable TV on your current sets, then you don't need to do anything in February 2009.

The ONLY people that need to take any sort of action are people who still use antennas (in other words, don't pay for/have access to cable TV or satellite) to receive their TV signals.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I don't have cable or satellite, I have my TV hooked up to my computer and I use it as a media center. So I would say I'm completely ready for the transition

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

dont watch much tv so its good they go away.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
If you already have cable TV for every set, then you won't need any converters.
Your TV set doesn't need to be "digital".
really?
i was under the assumption that the "cable" caveat was assuming that a cable box was situated between the coax and the tv. it kind of makes sense, no? how does an analog set decode a digital signal coming over the coax without a cable box acting as a digital to analog converter?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
how does an analog set decode a digital signal coming over the coax without a cable box acting as a digital to analog converter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV.gov
Cable and satellite TV subscribers with analog TVs hooked up to their cable or satellite service should not be affected by the February 17, 2009 cut-off date for full-power analog broadcasting.

The Digital TV Transition: FAQs - Consumer Corner

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

ahhh - this was what i was thinking of:

Quote:
Can my cable company make me get a box to receive the cable channels I receive today without a box?

Some cable companies have decided to switch to digital service. This is a business decision made by the cable companies and is not required by the federal government. Your cable company may decide to move certain cable channels off of its analog service tier and onto a digital service tier, or it may decide to switch to all-digital service at once, so that there is no analog service tier for any subscribers. If your cable company decides to move some or all of the channels it provides onto a digital service tier, it may notify you that you need to get “digital cable” equipment to continue receiving that cable service. This may include renting or purchasing a digital cable set-top box or purchasing a digital cable ready TV equipped with a “CableCARD” slot. The digital cable equipment is different from the digital-to-analog converter boxes that are used to receive over-the-air broadcast signals.
so technically, i'm right, while in practice, you're right at least for now. as cable companies individually decide to make less and less content analog, an analog set will have fewer and fewer viewing options unless attached to a cable box that will convert the digital signal to analog.

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

I have a digital tuner built into my TV, and I steal my cable, so I'm all set for the transition!

(Side Note: My TV weighs 170 pounds. I did not know that.)

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mgsfan18

mgsfan18 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation

well I use my rabbit ears to get TV channels in my bedroom and will continue to past February 2009 because I live in Canada
QUOTE Thanks
Yuchi

Yuchi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Penryn 2G/200Gb

I finally got my parents to get rid of their old 36" from 1995 and move onto something nicer (I got them a 52" Samsung). The first words were "WOW" at the digital clarity. Hehe. They'd been watching snowy picture for so long...

Anyways, I don't have cable or dish, but I've been prepared for a while. Just gotta watch out for the older folks...
QUOTE Thanks
jhawk2

jhawk2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"

Hmm Once the switch is made I probobly won't watch tv for a long time. Besides I don't watch anything but football now and I can watch it live on my computer!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

we have a HDTV in the living room and satellite (because telemundo was all I could reliably get).. but I really only watch movies, unless someone else has the TV on. There's a tv in my office I use for background noise.. the satellite receivers cover all of that though.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I've got digital cable service already, just need the Plasma/LCD, so I guess, technically I am read for the transition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virtual Holiday | Um...Help. »