Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    We're being watched!!
    The data miners know no bounds

Much effort is expended finding new ways to gather data on people. A company called Umbria uses software to analyse millions of blog and forum posts every day, using sentence structure, word choice and quirks in punctuation to determine the blogger's gender, age interests and opinion. That knowledge can be a valuable tool to people launching new products, or politicians seeking votes.

From an original New Scientist article
    What the data miners are digging up about you - tech - 28 November 2008 - New Scientist
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Hey, you post something on the Internet, it's essentially available to anyone in the public to see. You don't want them checking out what you post online, then don't do it. Privacy can only go so far.

June 2007
    July 2009

just a bigger finger to stick up in the air to test the direction of the wind...
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
    Big brother is watching.
    Yes my name is Jaguar.
    No, it is not a joke.
    I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Well yes of course. Do a Google of xj6jaguar1985 for example lol!

Whatever we post anywhere leaves a footprint!

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
    Eh, I'm not too worried. I mean, it's not like many people are too well known among internet circles, the ones the do become well known are that way for all the wrong reasons, mostly bad. Plus, I find this whole thing to be flawed. A good writer can mask mostly all of those attributes such as age, gender, etc. After all, we all are "internet personalities" and therefore can be whoever we want. Besides, the information on most forums are public, so anyone can view it, taking the proper precautions definitely helps.
    Dr. Insano, PhD
    Click, if you dare...

i don't think this is all about finding detail, it seems to be based more in trends. sure part of the article was about watching an individual for specific signs and symtoms, but in reality the money is really in telling a potential advertiser where to focus their ad budget.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    White Macbook - 2GHZ - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD - 500GB External HD - 8GB iPod Touch
    Last night i watched 'Enemy of the State' a movie with Will Smith in were he has been bugged with all these chips in his clothing and being tracked down by criminals, It was an awesome movie and really made me think about people watching you when you least expect it, and people being able to track you down aka F.B.I etc... Really interesting stuff.
    It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world.

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
    This reminds me of a story this crazy paranoid guy was telling me while i was doing my laundry at the laundromat. He was a bit whacked out, I'm thinking he may have been a part of some kind of gov't research or experiment. Still, he got annoying after awhile, and he kept talking as I walked out the door w/ my laundry saying "Nice talkin' to ya!" On the flipside, he was friendly and non-threatening.
    Dr. Insano, PhD
    Click, if you dare...

Specs:
    2.16 MacBook
    I don't think typing types can define a person's age or gender. For the most part, I think I write pretty decently.

We're watched everywhere. All the credit/debit cards swiped? Yep. That too.

Specs:
    933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Well yes of course. Do a Google of xj6jaguar1985 for example lol!

Whatever we post anywhere leaves a footprint!
    Hahahaha JUST a footprint?

Speaking of which:

xj6jaguar1985 - Google Search

2 google pages worth of me...wow haha...
    Yes my name is Jaguar.
    No, it is not a joke.
    I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.

Specs:
    2.16 MacBook
    Wow... I just searched me. I haven't been using this name long, and I had 3 pages. Never knew you could do that.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by docinsano View Post
    Eh, I'm not too worried. I mean, it's not like many people are too well known among internet circles, the ones the do become well known are that way for all the wrong reasons, mostly bad. Plus, I find this whole thing to be flawed. A good writer can mask mostly all of those attributes such as age, gender, etc. After all, we all are "internet personalities" and therefore can be whoever we want. Besides, the information on most forums are public, so anyone can view it, taking the proper precautions definitely helps.
    Sure, unless you posted in the "What gender are you" thread here at M-F

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
    well I don't really care if people are taking down all this information about me cuz they are using collecting mass information and could never tell exactly who I am

Well if they really want to know im Male 18 years of age and as a Canadian I love Hockey and as someone who lived in the country as a child finding it hard to hang out with friends because of distance I am a huge gamer. Hope I could help in your search for w.e

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I think the bigger question is, when aren't they watching?

Thread Information