New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

People are absolutely disgusting!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
If that's a video of the guy who died, I don't want to see it. Someone videotaping a guy getting stomped to death, posting it on youtube, and people watching it is about as sick as if you had stepped on his head yourself.
It is but it is of them giving him CPR.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Español. Oui, je parle français. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
That reminds me of another, completely OT, quote I read somewhere recently:

"The death of one person is a tragedy, the death of a million people is a statistic."

As I always say, individuals are smart, people are stupid.

This has nothing to do with being an American, it has to do with Western Consumerist culture in general and could have easily happened anywhere in the Western World.
While I do agree with you, unfortunately we are the epitome of this attitude, and it is no surprise that it would happen here. We are the land of huge houses and HumVee's. The "American" dream has turned into being a rich *insert expletive* with lots of possessions and having more than the "Joneses", which is far from what it was, or is supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but really hate to see what is happening to it. It will be interesting to see if the current economic climate changes anything, although I don't think it will.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Dad raped daughters for 27 years - CNN.com this story disturbs me slightly more.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6jaguar1985 View Post
You know what....
I'm going to speak completely off the cuff even if everyone completely disagrees with me.

I have done A LOT of social research about America and how it has been "Dumbed down" by Television, and how utterly reliant Americans are on television. We as Americans have become nothing short of sheep, mindlessly following whatever the television preaches to us : BUY THIS, BUY THAT, SUPPORT THIS, DON'T SUPPORT THAT.

All we care about is money and material possessions. People in general are sick, cruel human beings. Yes there are exceptions, but I'm making a generalization. We're hypocrites - we condone Asian countries for eating dogs and cats while we dig into steak and pork. We have become a society wholly dependent upon the all-mighty dollar and the possessions it ensues. This article and event is a great representation of this. No, we don't care about our fellow humans, WE NEED THAT ROLLBACK PRICE! WE NEED THAT POSSESSION, IF WE DON'T GET IT, WE RIOT! Remember the tickle me Elmos? It's utterly pathetic, and downright disgusting. I do NOT celebrate Christmas because it's nothing short of a materialistic holiday. Sorry to you people who celebrate Christmas for the passing of our lord Jesus Christ, but he has been pushed aside for this year's new Tickle me Elmo. Every day I read something that makes me even more disgusted with the human race, and sadly I'm not surprised by this event at Wal-Mart in the least...In fact I EXPECT IT to happen. Call me nuts, a radical, whatever you want to call me. All I know is common decency and respect is a bygone in a sex, money and material-crazed society.
Look, material possessions are nice...But it's not the world.
I love my Jaguar,
my laptop
and iPod....
But I would be fine without them. I would live, they're nothing short of material possessions...THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE. WHY DON'T YOU WRITE A POEM TO YOUR LOVED ONES ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU...WHY DOES AN XBOX HAVE TO REPRESENT HOW MUCH YOU LOVE SOMEONE.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Since you chose to speak freely, I will too. Take your meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
While I do agree with you, unfortunately we are the epitome of this attitude, and it is no surprise that it would happen here. We are the land of huge houses and HumVee's. The "American" dream has turned into being a rich *insert expletive* with lots of possessions and having more than the "Joneses", which is far from what it was, or is supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but really hate to see what is happening to it. It will be interesting to see if the current economic climate changes anything, although I don't think it will.
Read the story in the post directly above this one. We are not the epitome, we are just simply part of the western world. Bad things can happen anywhere, east or west. Had that incident happened in the US, many here would be telling us just how sick our society is. This is the second big headline case in recent months and neither was here. I'm not saying it doesn't happen here, far from it in fact. I just get tired of people bashing on the US for being the worst of everything in the world when in reality we are not. Too many folks have taken the political climate to heart and seem to think that the world is ending, or has been for the last several years. This is why we are losing our ability to compromise. In the end, things work themselves out and most people are reasonable individuals. Society has it's problems, but they are not the end of it all and we will all move on.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I hate to say it, I've seen far more disturbing things in third world countries. People are fundamentally selfish, period. Always have been, always will be. There are, of course, exceptions to that rule.. but by and large people are motivated to do things that benefit them.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Jaguar, DarkArt, back me up on this one.

In the punk rock community, if someone falls down at a show, practically everyone around them stops moshing and picks 'em up so they don't get trampled. For as "violent" of a scene as it supposedly is, they actually have some shred of respect for their fellow human.

But your average, everyday Joe and Jane can't even stop for the two seconds to pick a guy up because saving 75 cents on a Wii is JUST THAT IMPORTANT.

I find this really rather sad, because even the smallest amount of savings (regardless if it was a Wii they were after or an HDTV or whatever) is enough to send people into a selfish frenzy. Further proof that no matter how civilized and evolved we are, money (even saving a few pennies) will break people down into the dumbest of animals.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post

In the punk rock community, if someone falls down at a show, practically everyone around them stops moshing and picks 'em up so they don't get trampled. For as "violent" of a scene as it supposedly is, they actually have some shred of respect for their fellow human.

But your average, everyday Joe and Jane can't even stop for the two seconds to pick a guy up because saving 75 cents on a Wii is JUST THAT IMPORTANT.

I find this really rather sad, because even the smallest amount of savings (regardless if it was a Wii they were after or an HDTV or whatever) is enough to send people into a selfish frenzy. Further proof that no matter how civilized and evolved we are, money (even saving a few pennies) will break people down into the dumbest of animals.
The two scenes that I have been a part of, the "rave" scene and the hardcore scene are the exact same way. Everyone looks out for everyone. Bringing people water, helping them up, making sure that everyone is having a good time.

The difference is the sense of community, the sense of these people are like me, and we all want the same thing, to have a good time. Many experiments have shown how competition for either imagined or for real resources (in this case that HDTV that is on sale, or the last 10 Wii's) turn people into horrible people who will stop at nothing to satisfy that need, whether it be imagined or real. People can be awesome, but they can also be really scary.

Dysfunction: In a third world country they are more than likely doing this for BASIC needs (food, water, clothing, shelter) and not for 10% on all iPod's. There is a fundamentally different level here.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:

Of course! That is, if you're in a crow of real punks, anod not these trendy kids who want to look cool. I've been to shows with good crowds that do this, and the people actually know how to mosh (yes , there is a right and wrong way). I've also been to shows where people (dumb kids), who think they're a punk because they dress like one, and end up leaving with a broken nose.

I absolutely have no respect for the human race as a general. We are disgusting creatures (if you think about our routines, habbits, "mandatory-natural" functions, when we get sick/diseased). We are nothing more comparable than a hoard of locusts. We consume until there's nothing left, then we either die, or move one.

The WalMart incident just made me sick to my stomach when I read it, for the fact that people are so greedy, and the effects money and greed can have on a person.

This is what the "true face of evil" looks like. Not some red guy with horns and a pitchfork. (Not meaning to bring religion into this, but you get what I mean).
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:

Yep we do. Remember back in 1996 there was a whole bunch of people trampled to death at a Pearl Jam concert? I was 3 rows away from Billy Corgan during the Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness" Tour and people were falling over the chairs that were put there for us to "Sit" LOL....
I remember it like it was yesterday, right in the middle of the song "Zero" Billy just stops the band and says this:
"DO YOU GUYS NOT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TWO WEEKS AGO AT PEARL JAM? *Points to security* GET THOSE *bleepin* CHAIRS OUT OF HERE. NOBODY IS GOING TO GET HURT AT THIS CONCERT. WE'RE NOT GOING TO PLAY UNTIL EVERYONE PASSES UP ALL OF THE CHAIRS TO SECURITY IN THE FRONT. IF YOU GUYS GET TOO VIOLENT, WE'RE GOING TO WALK OFF THIS STAGE."
We stopped, and passed all of the chairs up to the front. Billy said "Thank you." and we resumed.

Then at a Mighty Mighty Bosstones concert in 1998, this chick was in the mosh pit kicking and swinging at all of us guys. Of course we're not going to hit a chick, so 6 of us got her and removed her from the premises. That of course didn't work as she came back, even madder...We passed a note up to ****y Barret, the lead singer to stop playing and tell this chick to stop because she's just wailing on people literally just skanking and watching the concert. Sure enough ****y gets on the mike and says "TO THE CHICK THAT THINKS IT'S COOL JUST HITTING PEOPLE FOR THE *bleep* OF IT. STOP BEING A *bleep* AND RELAX.
She turned beet red with embarrassment....lol...But she stopped.
So yes, we KNOW when to stop.

I went to a Circle Jerks concert and they said the same thing "We love it when you guys get into the music but please have respect for your fellow human. If you guys get too *bleepin* violent, we're walking off of this *bleepin* stage."

Bagss,
I see where you're coming from and I did LOL at your comment, but understand this happens in all industrialized, 1st world countries and I was using the US as an example. People are too selfish nowadays and it's pathetic.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArt View Post
I've also been to shows where people (dumb kids), who think they're a punk because they dress like one, and end up leaving with a broken nose.

Hahahaha If I had a dollar for every nose I've bro-....I mean....

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
Many experiments have shown how competition for either imagined or for real resources (in this case that HDTV that is on sale, or the last 10 Wii's) turn people into horrible people who will stop at nothing to satisfy that need, whether it be imagined or real.
I honestly cannot understand this. I mean, I comprehend it but I don't understand it. There is no commodity that is important enough to me to have to stampede for it. If the store runs out of Wiis, whatever. There are other stores and there are other seasons. It's not like those are the last 10 Wiis in the world.

This whole mentality confuses me. On one hand, I understand that "Well the kid wants it for Christmas", but by the same token, it's possible to explain to the kid that the store may not have it (or Santa, whatever) in time for Christmas, but that it could be a birthday thing or they could get something else for christmas to tide them over until Mom and Dad (or Santa) can get one.

Besides, the Christmases that I remember best aren't the ones where I got exactly what I asked for. I asked for a Sega Genesis for three years (1992-1995) and didn't get it until the third year. I didn't know at the time that Mom was really Santa and that times were tight, so a Genesis was a commodity that we couldn't afford. Mom just said "Santa tried" and we left it at that. Sure, I was a typical little kid about it ("THAT'S NOT FAIAIAIAIAIAIAIR"), but the thing is, she explained it later on in life, and it made sense.

I'm starting to get off topic, I think, but to wrap it up, to devolve into animals over something that silly is just stupid. I know "Christmas is the kids' day", but sometimes, Santa just can't get Nintendo to ramp up production. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArt
I've also been to shows where people (dumb kids), who think they're a punk because they dress like one, and end up leaving with a broken nose.
To quote Stza Crack, "This show is not the place to practice your stage dives. Try practicing stage diving into a pool, preferably empty."

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Take your meds.
Those in glass houses......
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
I honestly cannot understand this. I mean, I comprehend it but I don't understand it. There is no commodity that is important enough to me to have to stampede for it. If the store runs out of Wiis, whatever. There are other stores and there are other seasons. It's not like those are the last 10 Wiis in the world.
There is actually a famous social psychology study where they did this with children too. I'm not at home and can't look it up, but it showed that this is not isolated to adults, but to children as well.

And for those talking about "mob mentality", the actual psychological term is called deindividuation. It can get rather complicated, but to put it simply it is when people will do things in groups that they would not otherwise do because of the feeling of anonymity. This is where research done by both Milgram (shocking people to death because an authority figure told you to) and Zimbardo (Stanford prison experiments) comes into play.

LOL. Can you guys tell that this is what my MS and eventual PhD is in? I love social psychology!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

lifeafter2am: oddly enough most of these atrocities are not committed to survive, they're committed out of greed. It's also normally the powerful preying on the weak, but I digress. Perhaps I simply am no longer shocked by these kinds of events. Which, thinking about it is pretty sad in and of itself.

edit: oh and even old farts like me can come and go peacefully at hardcore shows

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
lifeafter2am: oddly enough most of these atrocities are not committed to survive, they're committed out of greed. It's also normally the powerful preying on the weak, but I digress. Perhaps I simply am no longer shocked by these kinds of events. Which, thinking about it is pretty sad in and of itself.

edit: oh and even old farts like me can come and go peacefully at hardcore shows
That is where the idea of "imagined resources" comes into play. An imaginary resource would be something that people think they have to have (ie, HDTV, Wii, etc.) and not something they actually have to have (food, water, clothing, shelter, etc.).

I agree though, that this behavior really doesn't shock me so much anymore, it just further proves the research that I study and conduct. And yes, it is sad that we have come to expect this of each other.

Are you kidding? I think the "old farts" get the most respect at shows, at least back when I was still in that scene!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Your Favourite Breakfast | What is Your Mac's Name? »