New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Donating To Charity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

What do I have to do if I want to claim half of my sales will go to charity? I have a piece of jewelry I'm selling. I'd like to donate half of all the sales to the red cross. What steps do I have to take to do this legally?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If the donation is less than $250 then I believe you just make the donation via check and your canceled check serves as proof of the donation. If the donation exceeds $250, then you should receive a letter of acknowledgement from the charity which serves as your receipt.

Most likely you'll sell the jewelry on your own. Collect the proceeds, and then you'll know the final amount that you'll be donating. Also, if you call Red Cross and explain your situation, they should be more than happy to help with whatever documentation you require.
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
If the donation is less than $250 then I believe you just make the donation via check and your canceled check serves as proof of the donation. If the donation exceeds $250, then you should receive a letter of acknowledgement from the charity which serves as your receipt.

Most likely you'll sell the jewelry on your own. Collect the proceeds, and then you'll know the final amount that you'll be donating. Also, if you call Red Cross and explain your situation, they should be more than happy to help with whatever documentation you require.
Ok. I just wanted to know if I was allowed to say that some of the sales would be going to charity on the website. Am I allowed to make the claim on the page? I thought I heard a story about someone who was legitimately donating portions of their sales to charity but because they didn't take the proper steps they ended up getting in trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
kylen721

kylen721 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD

I think that you will just want to make it clear that you personally will be making a donation after the sale. The issue your speaking of would probably have resulted from someone making it seem like a portion of the proceeds were going directly to charity which in this case they would not since your sale is not directly linked with the charity.

It really is just a case of making sure that your wording implies that you will be the donation on your behalf after the sale.
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

I was between two charities. Red Cross and Make-A-Wish. I emailed Make-A-Wish just to be on the safe side. They emailed me back and said I couldn't raise money for them unless I guaranteed a minimum of $50,000. I found this to ridiculous for a number of reasons.

1) They have some nerve demanding how much be given. That amount is way out of my league. I guess they'd rather I just not help at all?

2) On their very own website they list ideas of how to raise money. One included collecting money from work or school. Cash donations or loose change. I'm sure that would always generate less than 50K yet for some reason that is acceptable?

I have to say it turned me off to Make-A-Wish.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
I was between two charities. Red Cross and Make-A-Wish. I emailed Make-A-Wish just to be on the safe side. They emailed me back and said I couldn't raise money for them unless I guaranteed a minimum of $50,000. I found this to ridiculous for a number of reasons.

1) They have some nerve demanding how much be given. That amount is way out of my league. I guess they'd rather I just not help at all?

2) On their very own website they list ideas of how to raise money. One included collecting money from work or school. Cash donations or loose change. I'm sure that would always generate less than 50K yet for some reason that is acceptable?

I have to say it turned me off to Make-A-Wish.
Isn't it ridiculous?
I remember about 6 years ago I was going to donate a whole bunch of my clothes to the Salvation Army.....They wouldn't take them because they were "Faded"......
I just stood there besides myself.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

This is why I tend not to donate to "popular" or mega charities (that and their massive overhead costs). I prefer my money going to small, local causes or to organizations like Oxfam that put the money to effective use with things like micro loan programs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
This is why I tend not to donate to "popular" or mega charities (that and their massive overhead costs). I prefer my money going to small, local causes or to organizations like Oxfam that put the money to effective use with things like micro loan programs.
Agreed. About the only large charity I donate to is St. Jude's, because they have such little overhead. On the other hand, I've read that organizations like the United Way allocate something like 1/3 of their charity dollars toward administrative costs.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OMG! The Internet collapsed! | Dual CPU or Dual Core »