New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

terminology pet-peeves in your everyday life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

we all have one or more people around us in our home or work lives that just can't get terminology right; things like saying "oh es eks" rather than oh es ten".

there's a woman at my work who says "port hole" every time she refers to our company's website "portal". makes me chuckle inside every single time.

another guy always says "san disk" when referring to the tapes in our open systems "SAN" storage. ex: "hey, eric, i just boxed up those san disk tapes for our daily rotation". silly.

anyone else have any of these to share?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

*When people refer to the iPod touch as an itouch

*When you ask people what kind of computer they use, they say "A windows". Then you say, "I mean what company makes you computer" and they say "I just said windows, are you deaf?"

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

There's been one going on for about 8 years now that I am happy to say will soon come to an end; it's George Bush saying "nuculer" all the time instead of nuclear.

It burns me up every time!!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

"How do install MAC on my PC"?

That bugs me to no end.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
There's been one going on for about 8 years now that I am happy to say will soon come to an end; it's George Bush saying "nuculer" all the time instead of nuclear.

It burns me up every time!!
But what if Obama says "Nuclar" ?

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
"How do install MAC on my PC"?

That bugs me to no end.
I agree. then they say "thx for the help lol"

UGH!

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

When new members use a ridiculous amount of slang in their first post. I lose interest in answering their question.

Add this to a sticky--Your first post should not contain the word 'yo' unless you are posting in español and should never contain the word 'dawg'.
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
When new members use a ridiculous amount of slang in their first post. I lose interest in answering their question.

Same here. It makes me think they are just 20 year old college students who haven't a clue about what they are saying.

Like:

"heyy imma newb here and i have problem with my MACBOOK. whenever i try to open ichat and talk it wont let me. what is the matter with it.

thx "

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
But what if Obama says "Nuclar" ?
Or "Febuary"? We must never misunderestimate the ability of our politicians to "misspeak" the language they utter.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Or "Febuary"? We must never misunderestimate the ability of our politicians to "misspeak" the language they utter.
Quote:
Dissimilation may occur when a word contains two identical or closely related sounds, resulting in the change or loss of one of them. This happens regularly in February, which is more often pronounced \\ˈfe-b(y)ə-ˌwer-ē\\ than \\ˈfe-brə-ˌwer-ē\\, though all of these variants are in frequent use and widely accepted.
-- From the people who study these things.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
*When people refer to the iPod touch as an itouch
I couldn't agree more with this one! When I see/hear someone say "iTouch", it affects me like hearing someone scratch their nails down a chalkboard!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

that's not what it does for me, but i had a thing for the lead singer of the divinyls in the 80s.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

when people call the apple store an ipod store.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfreap24 View Post
when people call the apple store an ipod store.
Indeed. They sell iPhones too!
QUOTE Thanks
Letter10

Letter10 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad

i work with a couple of pretty country ladies and their vernacular kills me everyday! things like "ain't never gonna work" and "warsh my truck" are used repeatedly as well as other grammatical nightmares that would force you to flunk middles school english!

it really forces me to laugh out loud at them and then go shut to door to my office.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Music lounge | What do you think of U2? »