New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Anyone have guns?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I will always love guns. The mechanics and power of a gun always impress me, but with great power comes great responsibility. I don't worry about a large population that has caries a concealed weapon. I worry about the one person that is willing to go out of his way to do harm with a gun. And for that, I'm grateful to know that we can protect each other if need be.
I agree totally; what sparked my response was what I read (maybe incorrectly) as surprise that it had so far not been neccessary to use the concealed weapon for self defense.

Again, I blame the media for fueling an expectation of imminent danger from a thousand sources (from drinking water to meteors falling on your head).

Be prudent, be prepared, but most of us (I hope and believe) will never actually need that insurance.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I had to explain to my aunt that banning guns will not keep the criminal gun free they don't go to your local firearms dealer and fill out any paper work so having a gun
or two in your home at least gives you a fighting chance. I taught the wife how to use
my Glock 17 it has been the best pistol I ever owned so far and I have had many.
I use to have a S&W 44mag but that was to much for home defense especially if you
ever saw what it does to an engine block with hollow points it doesn't just stop at the first cast-iron wall in the block so it made me think the possibility of hitting a neighbor after it passed through a criminal weighed to heavy on me.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I use to have a S&W 44mag but that was to much for home defense especially if you
ever saw what it does to an engine block with hollow points it doesn't just stop at the first cast-iron wall in the block so it made me think the possibility of hitting a neighbor after it passed through a criminal weighed to heavy on me.
That was part of the reason for getting rid of my 41 Magnum (that and it really wasn't a lot of fun for plinking tin cans). I intended to replace it with something lighter but never got around to it, plus no place close to shoot one anymore.

I keep a pair of Nunchuks beside the bed for self defense--not as good as a pistol, but it is better than nothing.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

This thread has drifted into a gun control debate on a number of occasions now, but that's not what the topic is. Let's keep it on-topic, because this is one of those subjects that are going to have strong advocates and detractors that are never going to agree or find a middle ground, even if a divine entity stepped in to make a commandment on the matter.

So please, keep it on topic! And if you don't like guns, there are many other threads for you to read and post in.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I edited my post evolving my experience with this:

but there's no way I feel like writing it all over again.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

i was amazed at how much a fully tricked out 1911 cost but I must say its got to be
one of the oldest most widely used handguns in the U.S.
QUOTE Thanks
afriqueart

afriqueart is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

My wife and I both have our permits. I don't carry normally but keep a 1913 Colt 1911 45 cal. in my car. I also have a Colt Junior 25 cal and a S&W 38 special. My wife has a S&W 38 special.

We have these only for personal protection. Too many crazies out there.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
I edited my post evolving my experience with this:

but there's no way I feel like writing it all over again.
Very nice! I like both Rugers and 1911's, so I've been looking forward to this one. That said, I'm holding off until it comes in all blue, or all white. I'm not a big fan a mixed finishes usually. It would also be nice if Ruger did a G.I.-sped version of the SR1911 without all the extended doo-dads. Early reports seem to indicate that this SR1911 is a typical Ruger - a freaking tank that will eat anything and ask for more. I'll have to content myself with my lowly Chi-Comm Norinco 1911-A1 for now.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i was amazed at how much a fully tricked out 1911 cost but I must say its got to be
one of the oldest most widely used handguns in the U.S.
There are many 1911's out there in the market, not that there's only one manufacture of a "1911," but many that copied the mechanical characteristics of the Browning/Colt M1911. Some copies are horrible, some are really good. Then they range from general use, all the way to competition grade. You might know this, but the M1911 variants are still used by many U.S. service men. I loved the design/shape of it ever since I was a little boy and had a blue water pistol version of it

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
There are many 1911's out there in the market, not that there's only one manufacture of a "1911," but many that copied the mechanical characteristics of the Browning/Colt M1911. Some copies are horrible, some are really good. Then they range from general use, all the way to competition grade. You might know this, but the M1911 variants are still used by many U.S. service men. I loved the design/shape of it ever since I was a little boy and had a blue water pistol version of it
Well nothing has the stopping power of the 45 without leaving its intended target and a lot of my Police friends still carry a 1911 most choose the Para Ordinance.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Well nothing has the stopping power of the 45 without leaving its intended target and a lot of my Police friends still carry a 1911 most choose the Para Ordinance.
edit: The PA is nice too....

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I love 45ACP. That said... 45ACP is 10mm set on "stun".

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A View Post
I'm thinking about getting my concealed weapons permit...anyone else have theirs and if so what do you carry?

Thanks!
Hey, David, I didn't think to ask earlier, and if it was discussed I didn't see it, but where are you from (I don't think I saw that under your avatar)? One thing you might consider after you get your state permit is getting a Utah non-resident permit. The reciprocity with the Utah permit is pretty good if you travel much. There are a few places that it won't get you, but overall it can be quite helpful.

The Florida NR runs a close second, IIRC.
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

this is actually a freaky thread for me and it is probably based upon geography. In the UK guns are such a no no and talk of them is deeply un popular. In fact over the years i have seen a big big decrease in the number of toy guns that are now being sold in the UK. Although perversely, an increase in the number of 'killing' games now available on PS3 etc..and it always amazes me, that society still accepts it.

i am also always amazed that the gun lobbyist's don't realise that actually owning guns, increases the risk of someone, somewhere using them for a crime....

anyway, there are only 3 types of guns that i can think of without google...

Walter PPK - because James Bond has one
Magnum 45 - because Clint Eastwood has one
Kolashnikov - because the russian chap who invented it, died recently

interesting thread though...
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
this is actually a freaky thread for me and it is probably based upon geography. In the UK guns are such a no no and talk of them is deeply un popular. In fact over the years i have seen a big big decrease in the number of toy guns that are now being sold in the UK. Although perversely, an increase in the number of 'killing' games now available on PS3 etc..and it always amazes me, that society still accepts it.

i am also always amazed that the gun lobbyist's don't realise that actually owning guns, increases the risk of someone, somewhere using them for a crime....

anyway, there are only 3 types of guns that i can think of without google...

Walter PPK - because James Bond has one
Magnum 45 - because Clint Eastwood has one
Kolashnikov - because the russian chap who invented it, died recently

interesting thread though...
As the mod JUST said…plenty of other threads...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Progress or planned obsolescence. | Would You Rather? »