New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

who said soccer is for wimps!?!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OK Computer

OK Computer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook

for all the soccer players that are sick of people saying soccer has nothing on american football and baseball....

check this out:

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Barnsley | Barnsley ponder Hume legal action
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

baseball? Really? I mean, I can see Hockey and Lacrosse

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

I would never argue for baseball... you can smoke a pack a day and be a pro baseball player. Or get drunk and throw a perfect game * Cough* David Wells
QUOTE Thanks
jhawk2

jhawk2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"

Lol, wrestling takes the most strength, both mentaly and phisicaly, if that is what you mean. Soccer and football come next. Basebal trails a long way off in my opinion...... But then again I am told I am wrong for the most part.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I wrestled, played hockey, football and baseball. Hockey was a very close second to wrestling for conditioning. Football, not so much.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
jhawk2

jhawk2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"

Edit: Wrestling, Hockey and then the other sports. LOL
QUOTE Thanks
ALLRNVUS

ALLRNVUS is an unknown at this point

Soccer is probably one of the best games ever. But i would say UFC to be the most physical.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Who ever said Soccer is for wimps is totally stupid (no offense). All of my male family members love to play soccer, but only two of them (including their fathers) are taking it seriously by joining clubs, playing international matches, and stuff like that. My cousin, a 25 years old guy, plays for Zamalek team, the first squad. Also played for the youth national Egyptian team when he was 20 or 21, but then he stopped because he got older and he wasn't taken in the team lol. Anyway, I can assure you he suffered a lot of injuries including kicks in the forehead (by accident of course), shoulder knock off, and other things. Soccer is dangerous but the MOST fun ever!
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

I don't like it when people say that. I don't play soccer, but it is a very physically demanding sport. You run, jump, kick, throw... it is very difficult to play well.

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
QDaMan

QDaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD

Yeah it seems to me that foot-eye coordination is much harder to improve than hand-eye coordination. I haven't played soccer since I was a wee-lad, but I loved it.

The Mind of Q
^ Click the MUSIC tab if you like Hip-Hop!
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

I wrestled in high school and the conditioning was hellish. The wonderful thing about soccer conditioning is your pretty much just running.
QUOTE Thanks
beambeam

beambeam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.

We've started off debating why soccer (or what I'd call football) isn't for wimps to discussing conditioning... with comments like UFC being most physical thrown in?

Sure, it might be easy in some eyes to run for 10 kilometres in a game of soccer, and believe me, many wingers in the champions league regularly hit that distance per game, but then it is a different type of fitness (aerobic) that is required to boxing or judo (requires anaerobic fitness)... UFC is hardcore, agreed, but look how often boxers will engage as opposed to UFC fighters who for the larger part of a fight will not engage half as much... for various reasons.

To me, assessing the real toughness of a competitor would be someone that perhaps does it for the love of the sport, footballers and baseball players and UFC fighters for example, are paid way too much, I'd sure as **** let someone kick me about the head if I knew I'd get a couple million for it! When you have amateurs that are getting up in the am, training, getting hurt, dedicating them to their sport purely for glory, irrelevant of cost to them... then whatever sport it is, that's no wimp before you.
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

Let me preface this by saying I have nothing major against soccer. I love to watch important matches when I can. I believe in America one of the major reasons for soccer players being called wimps is the faking of injuries. We have all seen a player acting like he took a much harder shot than he actually did. Columbus is home to a major league soccer team which i watch every once and a while. One of the games i went to a player fell hard holding his left knee but the replay revealed he was hit on his right knee. This is a stark contrast to american football where in some instances players have knowingly sacrificed permanent mobility of limbs to get back in a game.
/rant
QUOTE Thanks
beambeam

beambeam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.

Doesn't just happen in America unfortunately, it's now a generally accepted part of football, it's not so bad in scottish leagues compared to the major european leagues and so it's pure comedy when foreign players give out about our game being brutal and vicious. Deal with it!
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Soccer is for idiots, football is for men (and I don't mean American football).

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Happy Birthday to Kash and Whoathere! | Design Research »