New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Wow, just wow... Post Your Election Day Experience, Nov. 4th 2008

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I've been voting for a while now, and for a couple elections I spent the day carrying around a camera and documenting the process. Regardless of this, I have to say that so far I'm impressed. I have never stood in line at all to vote at 6am when the polls open, let alone stood in line for almost 40 minutes like I did this morning.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Letter10

Letter10 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad

i did the same thing...i arrived at 6:20am and was the 35th person to vote at my precinct. i can definitely say that i have never gotten up earlier to go vote for one and have not had to wait in line that long to vote ever.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i'm heading out from work in about an hour to vote. i'll report back on the wait time.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Good job on voting everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I was the 97th person to vote at 7:45 this morning. That's pretty decent turnout for my area.

I'm glad to see people actually getting involved this time around. In the US, we have so very little civic responsibility. The least we can do is get up off our butts and vote. It's about time the younger generation decides an election here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I'm editing the title of this a little, cause I'd would like to hear people's election experiences using this thread.

Just to add, I voted absentee, so I can't add anything. That's why I'd like to hear from others.
QUOTE Thanks
NYTechGuy

NYTechGuy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.6 Ghz, Ipod 1G, 3G, Nano 3G, Touch 1G, Apple TV 160GB

Well, I am not sure what number I was, but there was only one person ahead of me at 7:45 AM today. I may have just missed the rush!

Make a difference for someone today.
QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Got up a little earlier this morning just to vote. I find a long line awaiting for me when I arrived, I'd say easliy 45 people in front of me. I waited 10 minutes and the line barely moved so I decided to try again after I get off work. I was just in awe at how many people were there that early.

The area around the voting center (neighborhood clubhouse) was in gridlock. Insane!!

EDIT: I honestly believe that we should be given the day off to go vote. If not 1/2 a day. It's an important thing as a citizen. This election alone is already one for the ages. On one hand we have the oldest person running for office, and on the other we have the first african american presidential nominee! I'm gonna go home today and watch the election unfold. We are witnessing history today.

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

got back a little while ago - my precinct was pretty calm, only waited maybe 10 minutes max. i also did an exit poll.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

My wife gets all of today off to vote. She works at a UAW controlled manufacturing plant and it is part of their contract. She's not a Union member since she is an engineer, but the whole plant is closed regardless. Oddly it's a Japanese owned automotive company she works for, yet I'm sitting here waiting and working at the American owned insurance company I work for.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
jfkeith

jfkeith is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.16

I just went out at 1pm EST to a small polling station in a small town in Massachusetts, had to wait over 30 minutes, and I saw on the news that stations in Boston had over an hour wait!! I guess this is all unheard of, but this is only my second election voting so I'm certainly optimistic to hear the results. Good work on everyone, good to see people caring!!!

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity, but they've always worked for me.
-Hunter S. Thompson
QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
My wife gets all of today off to vote. She works at a UAW controlled manufacturing plant and it is part of their contract. She's not a Union member since she is an engineer, but the whole plant is closed regardless. Oddly it's a Japanese owned automotive company she works for, yet I'm sitting here waiting and working at the American owned insurance company I work for.
Kind of ironic no? My room mate works for the state government, so of course he gets the whole day off to cast his vote. Needless to say I'm jealous >.<

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I guess that's how it is so quiet here today, but good to see everybody voting.

I just don't get how you all have to que for so long, over hear voting is usually held at a local school, and I have never had to que to vote, and the polling station is only 5-8 minutes walk away, so I know I can just wonder out after work, cast my vote and be home in 20 minutes

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

how? they're expecting over 80% participation of registered voters locally. Normally we're under 40%.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

In and out in 5 minutes here. Pretty uneventful.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X on a PC the legal way? | Best Buy, how we love thee. »