Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   Wow, just wow... Post Your Election Day Experience, Nov. 4th 2008 (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/129078-wow-just-wow-post-your-election-day-experience-nov-4th-2008-a.html)

Dysfunction 11-04-2008 08:52 AM

Wow, just wow... Post Your Election Day Experience, Nov. 4th 2008

I've been voting for a while now, and for a couple elections I spent the day carrying around a camera and documenting the process. Regardless of this, I have to say that so far I'm impressed. I have never stood in line at all to vote at 6am when the polls open, let alone stood in line for almost 40 minutes like I did this morning.

Letter10 11-04-2008 09:07 AM

i did the same thing...i arrived at 6:20am and was the 35th person to vote at my precinct. i can definitely say that i have never gotten up earlier to go vote for one and have not had to wait in line that long to vote ever.

eric 11-04-2008 09:15 AM

i'm heading out from work in about an hour to vote. i'll report back on the wait time. ;P

Aptmunich 11-04-2008 09:30 AM

Good job on voting everyone!

cwa107 11-04-2008 09:30 AM

I was the 97th person to vote at 7:45 this morning. That's pretty decent turnout for my area.

I'm glad to see people actually getting involved this time around. In the US, we have so very little civic responsibility. The least we can do is get up off our butts and vote. It's about time the younger generation decides an election here.

iWhat 11-04-2008 09:39 AM

I'm editing the title of this a little, cause I'd would like to hear people's election experiences using this thread.

Just to add, I voted absentee, so I can't add anything. That's why I'd like to hear from others. :)

NYTechGuy 11-04-2008 10:39 AM

Well, I am not sure what number I was, but there was only one person ahead of me at 7:45 AM today. I may have just missed the rush! :)

tkim 11-04-2008 12:06 PM

Got up a little earlier this morning just to vote. I find a long line awaiting for me when I arrived, I'd say easliy 45 people in front of me. I waited 10 minutes and the line barely moved so I decided to try again after I get off work. I was just in awe at how many people were there that early.

The area around the voting center (neighborhood clubhouse) was in gridlock. Insane!!

EDIT: I honestly believe that we should be given the day off to go vote. If not 1/2 a day. It's an important thing as a citizen. This election alone is already one for the ages. On one hand we have the oldest person running for office, and on the other we have the first african american presidential nominee! I'm gonna go home today and watch the election unfold. We are witnessing history today.

eric 11-04-2008 12:41 PM

got back a little while ago - my precinct was pretty calm, only waited maybe 10 minutes max. i also did an exit poll. :D

XJ-linux 11-04-2008 12:41 PM

My wife gets all of today off to vote. She works at a UAW controlled manufacturing plant and it is part of their contract. She's not a Union member since she is an engineer, but the whole plant is closed regardless. Oddly it's a Japanese owned automotive company she works for, yet I'm sitting here waiting and working at the American owned insurance company I work for.

jfkeith 11-04-2008 01:05 PM

I just went out at 1pm EST to a small polling station in a small town in Massachusetts, had to wait over 30 minutes, and I saw on the news that stations in Boston had over an hour wait!! I guess this is all unheard of, but this is only my second election voting so I'm certainly optimistic to hear the results. Good work on everyone, good to see people caring!!!

tkim 11-04-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ-linux (Post 751305)
My wife gets all of today off to vote. She works at a UAW controlled manufacturing plant and it is part of their contract. She's not a Union member since she is an engineer, but the whole plant is closed regardless. Oddly it's a Japanese owned automotive company she works for, yet I'm sitting here waiting and working at the American owned insurance company I work for.

Kind of ironic no? My room mate works for the state government, so of course he gets the whole day off to cast his vote. Needless to say I'm jealous >.<

louishen 11-04-2008 02:53 PM

I guess that's how it is so quiet here today, but good to see everybody voting.

I just don't get how you all have to que for so long, over hear voting is usually held at a local school, and I have never had to que to vote, and the polling station is only 5-8 minutes walk away, so I know I can just wonder out after work, cast my vote and be home in 20 minutes

Dysfunction 11-04-2008 03:03 PM

how? they're expecting over 80% participation of registered voters locally. Normally we're under 40%.

XJ-linux 11-04-2008 05:46 PM

In and out in 5 minutes here. Pretty uneventful.