New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Wow, just wow... Post Your Election Day Experience, Nov. 4th 2008

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I think if we just actually enforce and prosecute the 20,000+ gun laws already on the books, that would be a good start.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Now all he (and many of you here) has to do is realize the election is over and it is actually time to govern. The easy part is over, the hard has only just begun. He now has 24 months to show he can make a difference before we look at the balance of power again. Watch the congressional approval rating. If they don't improve, there will be another shake up. I wish him luck, he's going to need it.
Wow, how insightful. I'm sure Obama (and many of us here) never realized he would actually have to govern. I'll alert the media.

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Wow, how insightful. I'm sure Obama (and many of us here) never realized he would actually have to govern. I'll alert the media.
Many tend to forget that the campaign ends and reality of the job kicks in. He has a tough road ahead, and many of his most vocal cheerleaders are likely going to become jaded when he doesn't do all that was promised. There is still a lot of hype, as there is with any newly elected president. It will wear off when reality sets in, it always does.

Your attempt at humor failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I think if we just actually enforce and prosecute the 20,000+ gun laws already on the books, that would be a good start.
That's just crazy talk. Enforcing laws doesn't get most politicians elected, looking tough making new ones does.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I don't want to have to lock this thread, so please keep it civil. Thanks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yes, please... I was simply impressed with turnout and involvement this year.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Though not an Obama supporter, I am somewhat impressed that he mentions including Independant aligned foilks in his administration. I'd be interested to see if they are involved at a high level or simply as tolkens. I truly hope he accomplishes much more than simply holding the title "First Black U.S. President". His campaign seemed to be based on much more than that premise.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
QDaMan

QDaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD

I had the worst election day ever. No, seriously.

I woke up bright and early and stood in line before the polls opened in Warren, MI. I used to go to MSU (Michigan State University) and my original voter registration is there 1.5 hours away in East Lansing. I transferred my registration to Warren, but not in time says the voting lady. Sigh...

Since it would go against my very core values not to vote, I decide to pack into my car and high-tail it to EL. On the way, almost there, literally ONE EXIT away from getting off the freeway, my car breaks down and will not start again. I have it towed (for $92) to a mechanic. I then have my friend pick me up and drive me to the polls where my actual voting experience went smoothly.

Then the mechanic calls me up.

My engine is ruined, anti-freeze leaked into certain parts (the bearings were mentioned exclusively) and I need a new engine. I have to pay $80 for the inspection and another $315 to have it towed to my uncle's shop to get the new engine on the cheap. I then have to wait for my g/f's step dad to get off work and come pick us up. We have hours to kill and cannot go inside because we brought the dog.

Told you it was the worst ever, haha! XD

The Mind of Q
^ Click the MUSIC tab if you like Hip-Hop!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Yes, please... I was simply impressed with turnout and involvement this year.

As it turns out, voter turn out this year was the same or only slightly higher than in 2004. Newly registered and Young voters only accounted for ~17% of the electorate nationwide.

That huge voter turnout? Didn't happen - U.S. Politics & Elections - Politico.com - MLive.com

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDaMan View Post
I had the worst election day ever. No, seriously.

I woke up bright and early and stood in line before the polls opened in Warren, MI. I used to go to MSU (Michigan State University) and my original voter registration is there 1.5 hours away in East Lansing. I transferred my registration to Warren, but not in time says the voting lady. Sigh...

Since it would go against my very core values not to vote, I decide to pack into my car and high-tail it to EL. On the way, almost there, literally ONE EXIT away from getting off the freeway, my car breaks down and will not start again. I have it towed (for $92) to a mechanic. I then have my friend pick me up and drive me to the polls where my actual voting experience went smoothly.

Then the mechanic calls me up.

My engine is ruined, anti-freeze leaked into certain parts (the bearings were mentioned exclusively) and I need a new engine. I have to pay $80 for the inspection and another $315 to have it towed to my uncle's shop to get the new engine on the cheap. I then have to wait for my g/f's step dad to get off work and come pick us up. We have hours to kill and cannot go inside because we brought the dog.

Told you it was the worst ever, haha! XD
Warren, MI?

What high school did you go to?

(Center Line graduate here)

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
As it turns out, voter turn out this year was the same or only slightly higher than in 2004. Newly registered and Young voters only accounted for ~17% of the electorate nationwide.

That huge voter turnout? Didn't happen - U.S. Politics & Elections - Politico.com - MLive.com
interesting, since in 2004 I walked in and out with no line at the same time. Poll workers commented on it too.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
QDaMan

QDaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Warren, MI?

What high school did you go to?

(Center Line graduate here)
Nice! Small world. I graduated from Cousino in '07.

The Mind of Q
^ Click the MUSIC tab if you like Hip-Hop!
QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Quote:

They were talking about this on CNN a few days after the election. It was quite interesting to say the least. From the feel of it, it seemed like more people were out there voting, sometimes waiting upwards of 2-3 hours! That's outrageous!

But I guess it makes sense since there was a drop off of support for the McCain towards the end of the campaign and the turnout for Obama only balanced the equation. I guess there were a number of republicans that simply didn't vote. Which is a shame, one way or another, they should have voted for someone, an independent or something. In reality, voting for your senator has more implication than voting for the president, depending on where you live of course.

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

I know a few Republicans who didn't vote at all here in Illinois. Their sentiment seem to be that Illinois was Obama's anyway. Since the electoral college votes are all or nothing by state, the 35% or whatever percent of Republican casted votes wouldn't matter anyhow. Outside Chicago, most of the Illinois seats locally are uncontested Republican, so there again voting didn't seem to matter outside Chicago. Pretty sad, but reality around here.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

not all states are all or nothing. IIRC Nebraska and Maine both use proportionate electoral votes.

Even so, not voting buys you a quik trip to "I don't give a <expletive> about your opinion now"

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X on a PC the legal way? | Best Buy, how we love thee. »