New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Wow, just wow... Post Your Election Day Experience, Nov. 4th 2008

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
"I know your works. You are neither cold nor hot. So because you are lukewarm, I will spew you out of my mouth. You can build your filthy world without me." -Bill "The Butcher" Cutting Gangs of New York

Fictional, but well said.
this country goes to heck when there's too much of either party in charge. always has. it's really one of the reasons checks and balances are built into the system.. after all our founding fathers rejected the parliamentary system

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
I feel like I'm watching a football game...
Go Obama!!
Yea I know!!!

Alright!! Obama officially President-elect!! We won!

As of right now - 306 : 145 Obama.

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I would agree, time for a 3rd to make things interesting.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I love the electoral college split. Obama really stuck it to McCain

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
this country goes to **** when there's too much of either party in charge. always has. it's really one of the reasons checks and balances are built into the system.. after all our founding fathers rejected the parliamentary system
Remember how excited the Dems were in '92 with a Democratic president and control of both houses? Then look at what happened in '94.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Finally we can do away with affirmative action like Nebraska just did! The Democrats control, everything now; there is no checks or balances on the federal level, lovely... Stay tuned for HR1022 - California gun laws at the Federal level.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Stay tuned for HR1022 - California gun laws at the Federal level.
An assault weapons ban has you THIS upset?

Come on, what logical reason could you possibly have for owning an assault rifle outside of collecting them?

Not to mention, Obama has said numerous times that he plans on leaving gun control to the states. He doesn't view it as a federal issue, and it's probably better off that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022&tab=summary
2/13/2007--Introduced.
Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 - Reinstates for ten years repealed criminal provisions regarding assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices (the assault weapons ban).

Revises the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" to include conversion kits (for converting a firearm to such a weapon) and any semiautomatic rifle or pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and that has specified characteristics, including a telescoping stock.

Prohibits the transfer of such a weapon except through a licensed dealer or a state or local law enforcement agency, subject to specified requirements. Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a record of the make, model, and date of manufacture of any such weapon which the Attorney General is made aware has been used in relation to a crime, and of the nature and circumstances of the crime involved; and (2) annually submit the record to Congress and make it available to the public.

Prohibits: (1) the transfer of any assault weapon with a large capacity ammunition feeding device; and (2) a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer who transfers such a device that was manufactured on or before this Act's enactment from failing to certify to the Attorney General, within 60 days of the transfer date, that the device was manufactured on or before that date. Sets forth penalties for violations.

Prohibits: (1) the transfer of such a weapon or device to a juvenile; and (2) the importation of such a device.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

well i live in the UK and stayed up all night to watch it, was the first time i have ever done that even for British politics really found it really captivating though as American politics really shapes the world. I also found it quite cool that it was the night of my birthday and none other than my 16th i actually kind of forgot about it as a result.

Thank you to all the American citizens who voted Obama you have changed the lives of many as a result of your actions.

I think the American people get a bit of a hard time around the world for stereotypes you all did the world and your yourselves proud last night.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Not to mention, Obama has said numerous times that he plans on leaving gun control to the states. He doesn't view it as a federal issue, and it's probably better off that way.
Actually, HR1022 is a House Resolution, not a Presidential action. More folks than the President were elected yesterday. I could care less what any President thinks about guns since it's not his or her call.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterpolo820 View Post
Yea I know!!!

Alright!! Obama officially President-elect!! We won!

As of right now - 306 : 145 Obama.
Now all he (and many of you here) has to do is realize the election is over and it is actually time to govern. The easy part is over, the hard has only just begun. He now has 24 months to show he can make a difference before we look at the balance of power again. Watch the congressional approval rating. If they don't improve, there will be another shake up. I wish him luck, he's going to need it.

QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

My experience... I heard his speech about 8 times on the radio/tv in the half-hour after he made it. That's about it.

Australia ftw

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Now all he (and many of you here) has to do is realize the election is over and it is actually time to govern. The easy part is over, the hard has only just begun. He now has 24 months to show he can make a difference before we look at the balance of power again. Watch the congressional approval rating. If they don't improve, there will be another shake up. I wish him luck, he's going to need it.
Good words spoken here.

Many praise Obama as this solution to something, but he is a politician just like all the others and be tested.

Sure his words can inspire, but now do his actions?

I hope so! I voted for him!

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post

Come on, what logical reason could you possibly have for owning an assault rifle outside of collecting them?
They're fun to shoot. And California laws are pretty stupid. You can't have a removable magazine, so it's a pain in the butt to reload. Also, by the California definition of an "assault rifle", anything with a removable magazine and a pistol grip is an assault rifle.

For the record, I've supported Obama since the beginning of his candidacy and I'm not that worried about gun control at the federal level. Democrats only made big gains by getting seats in conservative districts. There are a lot of pro-gun Democrats in Congress, and I don't think they'll vote for a new assault weapon ban.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Gun guns only works when you pass the law and then go door to door to take all the guns away. Since I don't see that happening anytime soon, we can safely assume gun bans doesn't work in deterring gun related crimes (an issue the Supreme Court agrees with). However, reasonable gun control prohibiting sale of extremely dangerous weapons is something worth considering.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Out of curiosity, what's an "extremely dangerous weapon" and how do we keep it out of the hands of criminals?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X on a PC the legal way? | Best Buy, how we love thee. »