Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   A bit of advice here (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/128953-bit-advice-here.html)

B&O 11-03-2008 07:40 AM

A bit of advice here

I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2.33Ghz that is about 1 and half years old. I bought a new MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz a few weeks ago. I have been trying to sell the older MBP but have had little luck. I paid 349,000 yen for it and the best offer I have had is just 100,000yen (about 1000 US). I know that it is old and that it is secondhand but I just see more value in keeping it and having an empty bank account for a few weeks. I have been looking at buying a Mini soon.

So my advice keep or sell? I will connect it to my HDTV 40" for HD movies and the like that will hopefully come to Japan in the near future. I think adding more RAM (2x2GB with a 3GB limit will improve things)

lifeafter2am 11-03-2008 12:00 PM

That's a tough call. Usually if I have stuff just sitting around the house that I am not using for any period of time, I will go ahead and sell it, regardless of the hit I take on it. I would rather make a little money on it then it gather dust and not be used at all.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to use it, keep it, if not, sell it. Also, don't be in a huge rush to sell it either, I usually let my stuff sit on Craigslist for a while if people are trying to haggle me down, there are always people willing to pay your full asking price.

kylen721 11-03-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeafter2am (Post 750730)
Also, don't be in a huge rush to sell it either, I usually let my stuff sit on Craigslist for a while if people are trying to haggle me down, there are always people willing to pay your full asking price.

so true I recently sold an imac on craigslist and I had it posted for 950 and I had offers as low as 650 for it in the first few days, but a couple days later I sold it for my full asking price.

As for selling it the issue is that the longer you old on to it the less it will be worth. So if you have no use for it then sell it and just wait to get the most you can for it. Otherwise keep it and have a nice backup laptop.

xj6jaguar1985 11-03-2008 03:00 PM

It's true about electronics. Over time they depreciate in value. Remember then DVD players were $500? Or how about iBook clamshells selling for $1400....??? :D

B&O 11-04-2008 04:24 AM

Yeah of course things devalue. It just seems to have devalued so much that I don't see any reason to sell it.

There is no point me using cragslist as it has a Japanese keyboard so I think it is best to sell it locally.

lifeafter2am 11-04-2008 10:59 AM

craigslist: tokyo classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Can't you use that?

Eric559 11-04-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B&O (Post 751119)
Yeah of course things devalue. It just seems to have devalued so much that I don't see any reason to sell it.

There is no point me using cragslist as it has a Japanese keyboard so I think it is best to sell it locally.

craigslist = locally.

The tokyo craigslist doesn't seem so active though.