New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Noise isolating ear buds vs. noise-canceling headphones: opinions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I do a lot of flying for my job and get headaches from noisy flights and playing my music loud to overpower it. So recently I got the Bose Quietcomfort 3 headphones. They probably cut the noise from the plane in half, but definitely don't cut it completely.

I've seen some ads for noise-isolating earphones and think they might do a better job. Anyone have experience with these products? If you've used noise-isolating earbuds on a plane, how did they do?

Thanks,

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I've used my etymotic's on airplanes on more than one flight. Then again, I use them in the lab too..10+ hours a day at times with a lab full of mainframes and midrange rack systems, with storage and tape robots etc and I've had people yell at me behind my back and I never heard them. I also use them when I use the string trimmer (gas) in the yard. They block out so much of the background noise that it's extremely comfortable to listen to music at reasonable volumes... more important (to me) is that they're reference level drivers, so not only is it quieter it's a great sound as well.

about the only thing I DON'T like them for is hiking, walking, or anything where I need to be situationally aware.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
juggling

juggling is on a distinguished road

This is all that comes to mind
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggling View Post
This is all that comes to mind
Isn't that what he's got? Well, cept in an full around ear design

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

there is significant noise conducted through your body. there is limits on what you can block out.

i would recommend a set of custom fit ear buds fit at a doctors office or a company that does that type of thing. request to have sound drivers put in them. even mediocre drivers will sound better than expected. its not as expensive as you might think. i have 2 pairs, the one made of very soft plastic has lasted the longest. people have to shake me to get my attention even in a noisy environment and they dont fall out at the gym.

use caution the first few weeks of use, an ear infection is possible unless you keep things clean.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I didn't want the QC2 because they're just too big, but I'm sure they do a better job. The thing I like about the noise canceling is that while the "white noise" is blocked other soundsl ike people talking is still perfectly audible.

But overall I think I'd rather have more quiet, so I'm going to sell the Bose and get some isolating earbuds if they work nearly as well as people say.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
wsaund002

wsaund002 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro

I have the ear buds and they work great...When something is playing thru them. Never tried the Headphones
QUOTE Thanks
kylen721

kylen721 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD

a pair of properly fitting earbuds should cancel out more sound then over the ear phones. If your ear canal is fully blocked already it shouldn't take much to isolate outside sounds.

I have shure e3's and they have really great sound quality and keep outside noise out very well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any one like there new mac? | toby keith's latest album »