New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

What is the best HDTV to use as a monitor for the Mac Pro for graphic design?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brain Krutz

Brain Krutz is on a distinguished road

Greetings, I am a photographer, amateur graphic/web designer located around the NYC metropolitan area. It is my first time posting on the forum and I'd appreciate it if anyone could steer me in the right direction..

I just purchased a brand new Mac Pro - pretty standard except with an upgraded graphics card [NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512M]. What is the best 30"+ Flat Screen HDTV I should purchase to accompany it as a monitor? I intend on using it mostly for photoshop and dreamweaver but also to use the TV to hook up to basic cable provided by my college campus. For what I need I am looking at an LCD HDTV monitor, with the best possible resolution, right? Also what is the best way to hook this up without sacrificing quality?

I know a common issue with LCD monitors when it comes to design work is color calibration, but I have an additional smaller dell flat screen monitor to use in order to combat that minor annoyance.

Thank you for any tips or suggestions on what specifications I should be looking for when purchasing this TV. Have any specific brands or models that you personally recommend?

Best Regards,

Krutz
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

To be honest, if screen space is of importance to you, might as well go with a 23 inch apple cinema display, as it has much more space on it than any of the biggest HDTV's, as all HDTV's are 1920x1080, no matter how big. If you want 30" though the apple cinema display at 30 inches is nice, but quite expensive. Although the dells are not as high quality they are cheaper.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

You already posted this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ic-design.html
QUOTE Thanks
Brain Krutz

I was looking for massive. I have about 2,000$ I have saved up so I thought that would buy me a nice HDTV that I could use as the monitor. Except because I am using my mac pro for graphic design I need to make sure resolution is high. I want something that has good quality image (as close to Mac Cinema Display as it can be) that is larger. I've been told to look at the Samsungs? hmm
QUOTE Thanks
Brain Krutz

sorry for double post I will delete the other one. my bad!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

As was already stated, all HDTV's are 1920x1080. If you want a better resolution than that, you would want to go with an actual monitor, not an HDTV.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Brain Krutz

That said, what is a good product I should look into pursuing? Is 1920x1080 good enough resolution that my picture will still look amazing, or am I beat since I didn't buy the apple cinema display?
QUOTE Thanks
km2000

km2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" imac 3.06GHz Intel Core @duo 4 GB 800MHz DDr 2 SDRAM

a samsung lcd or a sony bravia..

i just bought a sony bravia and have been researching lcd's a lot over the last month. samsung and sony bravia are the leaders in the field now. if i had ti pick one i would say the sony bravia. i bought a 40" sony bravia at costco for 1500 a few weeks ago.

this is the one you want as it has the faster processor (motion flow) and will keep up with just about anything without blurring. the colors are great on this tv. you have to go into the store and look at these tv's side by side to really get an appreciation on how much more superior the samsungs and sony bravia are in picture quality..
Costco - Sony 40" Motionflow™ 120Hz 1080p LCD HDTV Energy Star® Compliant

you wont find a better value on this type of tv anywere else, trust me i checked.. if youve got 2k spend the rest on some hdmi cords and a nice blue ray player! ...

"If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."

Henry David Thoreau
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Because they have a lower resolution than comparable computer screens, TVs also have comparatively large pixels that aren't really ideal for close-up work.

So I'd go with a large monitor and TV adapter for your Mac instead. You'll still be able to watch TV on the large screen, but your computing experience will be a lot better.

You could get a 30" Dell display for quite a bit less than $2K, grab one of those - it should be big enough for a college TV and is a great monitor!
QUOTE Thanks
miketobbs

miketobbs is on a distinguished road

If youre going to use a HDTV as a computer screen you are going to want a 1080p resolution LCD TV. 1080p because it offers the highest resolution for clearer text/images and LCD because LCDs display static images better than Plasmas. For a small-screen, the best hdtv would be a Samsung Txx0HD .. if youre looking for a big-screen the best hdtv is the Samsung A650 or A750 lines or Toshiba XV545U line.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari | Safest Way to trade straight up. »